MGB: NCAA shuts down satellite camps, thoughts on impact for UNT

Brett Vito

Is this rule effective IMMEDIATELY? Awfully short notice for camps already scheduled for this summer.

Saves some expenses but will not be good for promotion of the program. If Michigan was the catalyst for this rule, would have been better to just restrict camps to your own state boundaries IMO.

• Upvote 7

I th

2 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Is this rule effective IMMEDIATELY? Awfully short notice for camps already scheduled for this summer.

Saves some expenses but will not be good for promotion of the program. If Michigan was the catalyst for this rule, would have been better to just restrict camps to your own state boundaries IMO.

This.

However, I don't think this new ruling will hurt North Texas that much as it's my belief that our current coaching staff has more connections than the previous staff. 

• Upvote 3

Those of you who watch my posts know I follow both schools and I am facinated with 2 UNT\UTSA dynamics- RV vs LH and great recruiters can't coach aka Littrell vs Wilson. This makes the #2 dynamic even more compelling because I believe this is the P5 trying to cull the herd and get further seperation. It looks like I started following G5 sports at a very precarious time in sports history.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with Vito on this one, this is good news for North Texas and any schools who are located in fertile recruiting ground.  There is no limit on unofficial visits and this means we will have more kids who can reasonably get to our campus.  The loss of the camps hurts schools like La. Tech and UTSA more who need the camps to lure players from DFW and Houston.  This is actually really good news for UNT.

25 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Not sure about P5s getting separation. How close are most of these big P5 schools to the major population centers in their respective state?

This is a huge overreaction to Harbaugh.

Aldo I am open to other points of view but I think recruiting will boil down to reputation of a big school (P5), tv time (P5 has advantage) and coaching relationships. I somewhat disagree with Harry because of these points. If Littrell is recruiting player x from Lewisville and Ohio State calls, he's out of luck. You can make the argument that DFW is so large that after the P5 plunder there are still a large # of second tier players then UNT would have an advantage. As it sits now imo, reputation and relationships will win recruiting.

• Downvote 1

This is absolutely not bad news for North Texas. If anything I would actually consider this slightly good news. To an extent it keeps poachers at arm's length. Granted if a big time program wants a kid he's probably going to land him. But it keeps the premiere coaches out of DFW so they can't  smoke stogies on high school practice fields with tons of hs coahes trying to get a whiff of their jock strap. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is absolutely not bad news for North Texas. If anything I would actually consider this slightly good news. To an extent it keeps poachers at arm's length. Granted if a big time program wants a kid he's probably going to land him. But it keeps the premiere coaches out of DFW so they can't  smoke stogies on high school practice fields with tons of hs coahes trying to get a whiff of their jock strap. 

Not nit picking, but the rule says camps, not coach visits. I think those visits will become the bread and butter of G5 recruiting.

7 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

If Littrell is recruiting player x from Lewisville and Ohio State calls, he's out of luck.

I don't think a UNT camp, or lack of an OSU camp would help us anyway. 

I think it only changes the dynamic respectively among P5s, and among G5s. Ie, Georgia recruiting vs South Carolina (or in the real case of Michigan vs the SEC), or UNT vs SMU.

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

I don't think a UNT camp, or lack of an OSU camp would help us anyway. 

I think it only changes the dynamic respectively among P5s, and among G5s. Ie, Georgia recruiting vs South Carolina (or in the real case of Michigan vs the SEC), or UNT vs SMU.

Right, we are not competing for players that OSU signs or Texas/A&M etc.. heck even Baylor and OSU are at a high plane.

What this does is make it harder for schools outside of DFW to cherry pick from the late bloomers and under the radar guys.  School from outside of DFW can no longer set up shop here and do camps to comb for the under  the radar guys.  The best talent gets identified early on and most of them commit or have a small stable of p5 choices by their junior years.

I don't think it hurts us.  We can have multiple camps at UNT/Apogee, located in the middle of one of the best recruiting grounds in the nation, exposing these kids to our campus and facilities instead of us travelling to Houston, kids attending to get exposure and listening to our coaches sell the campus/location.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Right, we are not competing for players that OSU signs or Texas/A&M etc.. heck even Baylor and OSU are at a high plane.

What this does is make it harder for schools outside of DFW to cherry pick from the late bloomers and under the radar guys.  School from outside of DFW can no longer set up shop here and do camps to comb for the under  the radar guys.  The best talent gets identified early on and most of them commit or have a small stable of p5 choices by their junior years.

I see both your  and Aldo position and agree that the rules impact recruiting in your peer group. My next question is, I guess, how do you recruit outside of relationships with HS coaches? UNT is fortunate that DFW is large and UTSA is fortunate that their recruiting historically is essentially in the field of Austin, SA and Houston since proximity doesn't limit these guys from taking unofficial visits. But, I am willing to bet both schools need to reach beyond these fields. This is why I think TT is going to get killed. Too far for a kid to take an unofficial visit.

Edited by UTSA Fan

7 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

How much of their talent do they sign via satellite camps?  I don't know, but I would speculate that it's a relatively small percentage.

I think you'd be surprised. They don't throw darts at a map and go set up shop. It's usually calculated as to where they are going. Now, they are going nowhere. Like I said, this is good news for UNT. 

I tend to think this is good news, but overall I don't think it will move the needle all that much. Yes you get to get players on campus, but then again so does your competition. I think the whole camp thing was more to the disadvantage of centrally placed teams who could go and see their recruits anyway and may not have needed camps.

And I do think it was just the ACC and SEC having an overreaction to Harbaugh and fearing copycats (looking at you Penn State)

The real losers here are talented recruits from smaller schools and recruits who don't have coaches who are good at getting them help getting recruited. Those guys now have one less way of getting the attention they deserve.

Edited by outoftown

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I disagree with Vito on this one, this is good news for North Texas and any schools who are located in fertile recruiting ground.  There is no limit on unofficial visits and this means we will have more kids who can reasonably get to our campus.  The loss of the camps hurts schools like La. Tech and UTSA more who need the camps to lure players from DFW and Houston.  This is actually really good news for UNT.

Agreed.