Practice update from Sat April 2

Harry

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I think that LB will be the most improved position this year.

It will start with better coaching.  Also, our most touted linebacker, Will Johnson, will be here for fall practice.  We'll also have a highly rated freshman, Ladarius Hamilton reporting then as well

.  Finney seemed to improve with every game.  Fred Scott has been a pretty solid player for the last two years.  Brandon Garner is another player who began finding his role last year.  Throw in Calvin Minor and maybe Montgomery; then add the possible development of newcomer Ejiya and we could have a very active group.  

On the above, I didn't see reference to this in the fan reviews:

11842810.jpeg

Brandon Garner is congratulated after his third interception of Saturday's scrimmage. (photo by David Pyke)

Among the highlights were three interceptions by redshirt sophomore linebacker Brandon Garner and one by senior linebacker Fred Scott. The offense, however, had big plays as well, including a pair of touchdowns by running back Willy Ivery.

THREE INTERCEPTIONS!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenTexan13 said:

It is so hard to hold in excitement about Morris. Especially with your write up Harry. Time and time again we have been disappointed during the Mac regime with the QB situation.

Here is to hoping we can get Vito to stop bringing up D. Thompson so often!

If this helps, Harry was also similiarly high on Brock Berglund's performance with the scout team. I mean, any info is nice, but when you are watching a practice in which the QB is never hit, take it with a HUGE grain of salt. 

39 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

If you Google alec morris and alabama, theres a lot of positive things that come up and reason to be excited.

Someone mentioned josh greer.  He is no josh greer.  He is unproven like greer was, but even being 3rd string at bama gives him much more than greer had, as only playing a few games of juco.  Ok, morris couldn't start for the best championship winning, semi pro football program in the nation.  Just to be in the running at least shows he belongs on a D1 football roster.  And that is a huge improvement.  Once you read what so called experts say about him, there's plenty to be excited about.

But instead of being excited, we will have several discussions about the BACKUP!...really?  The backup gets more discussion than Morris?  Only at UNT...

and for those that say "if our starter get hurt, our season is over"...half the teams in college football can say that.  Of course your team will fall off if the starting QB goes down.  Come on...

And he got beat out by a freshman for second team. 

Look, there is zero reason to get hopes up until you see how Morris performs in live FBS action against SMU.

And you are right, the comparison to Greer isn't fair... to Greer. At least he took hits in live JC action. Morris hasn't taken a live game hit since high school.

Thats concerning on multiple levels.

Maybe he sets the world on fire against SMU, or maybe he goes into a shell after the first hard hit. Wait and see.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 14

As I recall Scott Hall took at hit at practice and missed a few games because of it.  I rather take my chances on the field during the season.  I have no doubts in Morris and his talents.  Look at our last year 1st string vs Morris who would you choose.  Can someone remove greets face from the forum picture-time to move on.

• Upvote 2

Ok 90...let's judge a QB by how he gets hit...come on man.  Greer was bad even when he wasn't getting hit.  The speed of the game was the issue.  Was it fear of getting hit hard? Or just fear of messing up.  Either way, the objective for a QB is to NOT get hit.  

I'm sure his time at bama on scout team and being 3rd string, he got to go against a very fast agressive defense.  Ok, he didn't get unleashed on, but I can assume he had to develop skills such as reading defenses quickly, getting rid of the ball, moving the pocket, throwing on the run, and not holding the ball.  All things that greer had issues with that created the situations where he got hit.

He's a QB.  Not a RB.  He's not supposed to get hit.  Most QBs aren't built to take too many hits.  Most QBs get rattled once they get hit.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

41 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If this helps, Harry was also similiarly high on Brock Berglund's performance with the scout team. I mean, any info is nice, but when you are watching a practice in which the QB is never hit, take it with a HUGE grain of salt. 

And he got beat out by a freshman for second team. 

Look, there is zero reason to get hopes up until you see how Morris performs in live FBS action against SMU.

And you are right, the comparison to Greer isn't fair... to Greer. At least he took hits in live JC action. Morris hasn't taken a live game hit since high school.

Thats concerning on multiple levels.

Maybe he sets the world on fire against SMU, or maybe he goes into a shell after the first hard hit. Wait and see.

Eeyore_3.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I don't think you know how hope works. /shrug

I'm very familiar with how it works at UNT:

Hope that UNT turned the corner in 2013? Quashed by a combo of Grey Goose, Rick Villarreal, Dan McCarney, frustration, and a refusal to recruit the QB position. 

Hope that UNT would have a football game on opening day of the 2015 football season? Quashed by Rick Villarreal and SUPPOSEDLY by Northern Arizona.

Hope that the AD would be replaced after he scheduled a FCS team that beat UNT by 59 points on Homecoming? Quashed by Neal Smatresk and 17 people that care more about Rick Villarreal than UNT

Hope that basketball will be fixed? Quashed by Rick Villarreal and Neal Smatresk.

So, yes, I'm very familiar with how hope works at UNT. Are you?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

That won't happen until that stupid Eagle statute in the end zone is replaced with a sweatervest statute that RV carved himself from a Hattiesburg Redbud tree and weatherproofed with the blood of Darrell Dickey's and Todd Dodge's coaching career. 

You think the Eagle statue is stupid?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Nah.   Where UNT90 and I are going... there's no coming back:

WqBRKBM.jpg

Hold on!!! Why aren't I the extremely hot Gena Davis here? I know I'm taller than you and will always perceive myself as better looking. 

The things I would do to myself...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

i hoping benford is in the car somewhere as well.

In the trunk. With 4 suits. 

37 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

You think the Eagle statue is stupid?

Yes, just like I think the sweatervest statute is a wonderful idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

As I recall Scott Hall took at hit at practice and missed a few games because of it.  I rather take my chances on the field during the season.  I have no doubts in Morris and his talents.  Look at our last year 1st string vs Morris who would you choose.  Can someone remove greets face from the forum picture-time to move on.

Yeah...the week of the first game against Texas.  The risk finally caught up to Dickey there but it was the one time of the 8 years he was here,...and because the backup also was toughened up by getting drilled by one of the nation's best defenses in Spring ball and Fall..he came in and led us to one of our greatest seasons in history.

I am in no way advocating our QB's get hit in the fall.  I thought that was really risky.  But letting them get hit in February with 7 months to heal ahead of them proved good for us.

Rick

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yeah...the week of the first game against Texas.  The risk finally caught up to Dickey there but it was the one time of the 8 years he was here,...and because the backup also was toughened up by getting drilled by one of the nation's best defenses in Spring ball and Fall..he came in and led us to one of our greatest seasons in history.

I am in no way advocating our QB's get hit in the fall.  I thought that was really risky.  But letting them get hit in February with 7 months to heal ahead of them proved good for us.

Rick

the key word is back up, we have been pretty thin in the back up role for sometime.

16 hours ago, southsideguy said:

the key word is back up, we have been pretty thin in the back up role for sometime.

True...but then again we really don't know what we've had do we?  

When we see incompetent son of friend rolled out time after time, .......when we're told the next coming of Johnny Football is running all over the 1st team defense one year and then can't make 3rd-4th string here or at any school he's transferred to,  the next,......when we see those we rely on to evaluate talent bring in   JUCO talent that can't even complete two semesters in good standing to keep eligible....then really who knows what we've had in way of back up QB talent?  Our best talent may have never seen the field, so who knows?

Rick

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

True...but then again we really don't know what we've had do we?  

When we see incompetent son of friend rolled out time after time, .......when we're told the next coming of Johnny Football is running all over the 1st team defense one year and then can't make 3rd-4th string here or at any school he's transferred to,  the next,......when we see those we rely on to evaluate talent bring in   JUCO talent that can't even complete two semesters in good standing to keep eligible....then really who knows what we've had in way of back up QB talent?  Our best talent may have never seen the field, so who knows?

Rick

Everything under Mac was based on McNulty and his ability and smarts to overcome the physical odds.  Mac had a vision of a McNulty house on a hill.  And frankly Rick is right -- if such a poor decision  was made at the most important  position on the team, how can you not call into question other positions as well?