Benford's Replacement

Dr. Seuss

19 hours ago, outoftown said:

Shanice Stephens?

Indeed it is a concern I have with Littrell too. BTW I am not saying Littrell can't work out, I really think this is a 50-50.  But I am currently really in a wait and see mode on him emotionally. And in FB too I would have preferred a succesful FCS HC over a P5 coordinator. But I can easier understand why to take a coordinator in football. There are more executive decisions even below the HC, you can generally separate better which part of the game a coordinator is responsible for, the difference between FBS and FCS is bigger, starting with different number of schollies etc, and finally and most importantly there are just a lot less options in pure number of HC coaches to chose from and we are toward the lowest rung of FBS. In other words it is a lot harder to find a "low downside" guy in football than in basketball in my mind.

Big difference in Assist BB coach and a OC or DC in football. GAME TIME coaching and decisions. Bedford can recruit his coaching is very suspect. I think you have a different criteria between the 2 sports on hiring coaches. Unless Cross gets a better offer, double his money, if not I would look at the ULAR coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Darrin Horn is a great name to go after. So is Chris Beard at UALR. Here's another name that I think will be available at the end of this year--Trent Johnson. I think his TCU days are numbered, since they haven't competed in the Big XII at all. That's not on Trent Johnson, who has done a fine job at his other stops at LSU, Stanford, and Nevada. The Big XII is way too tough for a school like TCU to compete in right now. Maybe a new coach and their upgraded facilities will help them in the years ahead, but Trent Johnson has coached TCU at the old dilapidated Daniel-Meyer Colisuem, as well as at the FWISD gymnasium last year. This year, with their new upgrade, they are playing the Big XII at its historic best right now.

But RV is leading the hire--that means a real probability of us hiring an assistant from some big name program that has never been a head coach before. As we know, those guys have no idea what they are getting into when they arrive in Denton and see how little people care about athletics, both in and out of the university.

• Downvote 1

Johnson was fired at LSU, both with  great facilities and fan base, and has won only 2 Big 12 games this year.I don't see that he gets us where we want to go.I wonder why the UALR coach has not moved on. I would think with his history of winning that he would of had opportunities to do so.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

But RV is leading the hire--that means a real probability of us hiring an assistant from some big name program that has never been a head coach before. As we know, those guys have no idea what they are getting into when they arrive in Denton and see how little people care about athletics, both in and out of the university.

No way. Look at RV's track record. Whenever a hire of his fails it can't be his fault. It has to be that the coach was this or that, and we need the opposite.

Shanice Stephens, an inexperienced coach, fails. Inexperience is the "problem" so we need experienced head coaches like Aston and Peterson. Experienced, over-the-hill coach in Peterson fails, so the "problem" is that we need a fresh upstart who can actually recruit. Enter Jalie Mitchell.

Fires boring Dickey as soon as he gets the chance, gets the polar opposite in flashy, offensive-minded Todd Dodge. Dodge doesn't work so we fix the "problem" of having an inexperienced an overly offensive minded coach by getting a defensive minded and experienced head coach. Mccarney fails by being older and out of touch with recruiting and unable to develop a QB and score points, so we fix that "problem" by getting a young, offensive minded coach. That's what RV said it would be all along.

So, again, track record shows RV gets the opposite of each coach that fails. It's that short-sightedness both going into each coaching search and after each coach fails that has led to 147 games under .500 from his big-three sport hires over the last decade. As long as RV is still here, expect an experienced coach. Because the "problem" was that Benford was inexperienced, not that RV can't pick good coaches.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Big difference in Assist BB coach and a OC or DC in football. GAME TIME coaching and decisions. Bedford can recruit his coaching is very suspect. I think you have a different criteria between the 2 sports on hiring coaches. Unless Cross gets a better offer, double his money, if not I would look at the ULAR coach.

I disagree. I don't think there is one thing suspect about Benford's coaching. I think it has been thoroughly proven that he is a terrible game day coach and is terrible at developing talent. 

There is 4 full years of evidence on which to draw. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

No way. Look at RV's track record. Whenever a hire of his fails it can't be his fault. It has to be that the coach was this or that, and we need the opposite.

Shanice Stephens, an inexperienced coach, fails. Inexperience is the "problem" so we need experienced head coaches like Aston and Peterson. Experienced, over-the-hill coach in Peterson fails, so the "problem" is that we need a fresh upstart who can actually recruit. Enter Jalie Mitchell.

Fires boring Dickey as soon as he gets the chance, gets the polar opposite in flashy, offensive-minded Todd Dodge. Dodge doesn't work so we fix the "problem" of having an inexperienced an overly offensive minded coach by getting a defensive minded and experienced head coach. Mccarney fails by being older and out of touch with recruiting and unable to develop a QB and score points, so we fix that "problem" by getting a young, offensive minded coach. That's what RV said it would be all along.

So, again, track record shows RV gets the opposite of each coach that fails. It's that short-sightedness both going into each coaching search and after each coach fails that has led to 147 games under .500 from his big-three sport hires over the last decade. As long as RV is still here, expect an experienced coach. Because the "problem" was that Benford was inexperienced, not that RV can't pick good coaches.

so...Billy is on record as pro-Dave Bliss. 

• Upvote 3

On February 15, 2016 at 11:34 AM, BillySee58 said:

Yep. Always an excuse. And plenty of cronies to make those excuses for him...

pretty amazing what he has been able to do to most major and some minor donors (get them to unilaterally accept failure while defending RV at every turn). So dysfunctionally smart.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

16 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Not that I dont wish him success, but lets say LSU fails to make the tourney and fires Jones. Then we fire Benford this offseason. How fast does the call go out to Jones if you were the AD? Or do we look some where else?

Throw enough money at him and I bet he would come back (bump that TRS 'final 5-yr avg' up a little).
If LSU is anywhere near the bubble, they're in... simply because of Simmons.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Throw enough money at him and I bet he would come back (bump that TRS 'final 5-yr avg' up a little).
If LSU is anywhere near the bubble, they're in... simply because of Simmons.

They are at the bottom of the bubble right now. They are quickly fading and dont have many opportunities for good W's down the stretch. They have Kentucky, Florida, and need a solid run in the SEC tourney.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/111476/will-lsus-ben-simmons-impact-the-ncaa-tournament-selection-committee

• Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

They are at the bottom of the bubble right now. They are quickly fading and dont have many opportunities for good W's down the stretch. They have Kentucky, Florida, and need a solid run in the SEC tourney.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/111476/will-lsus-ben-simmons-impact-the-ncaa-tournament-selection-committee

Quickly fading?  It's quite the opposite..until about 2 weeks ago they weren't considered on the bubble at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2