MGB: UNT to host top QB prospect

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Yes, I'm doing a bit about:

(1) Hiring a coach with supposed "Texas high school" recruiting ties, who
(2) Hires former Texas Tech players with minimal coaching experience, but also supposed "Texas high school" recruiting ties, and who together use those ties to
(3) Steal , small stature, small townOklahoma high school QBs from Austin Peay and Emporia State,
(4) And pursue Florida's "top QB prospect" without any offers who can't stay at one school for more than a season because of an overbearing dad keep moving him around - in between flying him in and out of an Oklahoma QB gurus' camp.

Eagle...I have a degree in Literature, and even I couldn't dream up such a bit!   I mean, we are being handed comedy gold here by Villarreal and Littrell!  If you don't buy season tickets for the football, buy it for the theater!  Shakespeare, were he alive at this moment in time, couldn't dream up this kind of stuff!

If popcorn doesn't outsell beer this fall at Apogee, my name isn't Orville Redenbacher!

(Please, though, keep the liquor, guns and knives away from the big money donors who arrive to see the show.)

Still in character. Well done.

200.gif 200.gif

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

(2) Hires former Texas Tech players with minimal coaching experience, but also supposed "Texas high school" recruiting ties, and who together use those ties to
(3) Steal small stature, small town Oklahoma high school QBs from Austin Peay and Emporia State,
(4) And pursue Florida's "top QB prospect" without any offers who can't stay at one school for more than a season because of an overbearing dad who keeps moving him around - in between flying him in and out of an Oklahoma QB guru's camp.

Eagle...I have a degree in Literature, and even I couldn't dream up such a bit!   I mean, we are being handed comedy gold here by Villarreal and Littrell!  If you don't buy season tickets for the football, buy it for the theater!  Shakespeare, were he alive at this moment in time, couldn't dream up this kind of stuff!

If popcorn doesn't outsell beer this fall at Apogee, my name isn't Orville Redenbacher!

(Please, though, keep the liquor, guns and knives away from the big money donors who arrive to see the show.)

Seems like you should have majored in Massengill since this thread reads like your time of the  month

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Listen.  This is far, far too easy to figure out.  But, I'm going to let you all off the hook, okay?

I mean, I know we're desperate for talent, but...please.  If you cannot see through this....

I'll give you a gigantic benefit of the doubt by making the same assumptions you all are making, mainly:

(1) That in the state of Florida,
(2) Head coaches, offensive coordinators, QB coaches, and recruiting coordinators from Miami, Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, South Florida, FIU, FAU
(3) And, head coaches, offensive coordinators, QB coaches, and recruiting coordinators from from every FBS school in every state between Florida and Texas
(4) Have totally whiffed by not offering this kid, who played high school football for four years right under their noses!

See?  That's dozens of coaches at legitimate football schools strewn from here to the Atlantic coast, far higher up the totem pole than UNT, just not seeing the value of this kid, right?  Yeah, that's the ticket!  

But, look, I'm going to bow out now and give you all the benefit of the doubt...because we need a QB so badly, and this kid has some HUDL film.  I'm going to have popcorn, too, though, as I watch it all go down. 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Listen.  This is far, far too easy to figure out.  But, I'm going to let you all off the hook, okay?

I mean, I know we're desperate for talent, but...please.  If you cannot see through this....

I'll give you a gigantic benefit of the doubt by making the same assumptions you all are making, mainly:

(1) That in the state of Florida,
(2) Head coaches, offensive coordinators, QB coaches, and recruiting coordinators from Miami, Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, South Florida, FIU, FAU
(3) And, head coaches, offensive coordinators, QB coaches, and recruiting coordinators from from every FBS school in every state between Florida and Texas
(4) Have totally whiffed by not offering this kid, who played high school football for four years right under their noses!

See?  That's dozens of coaches at legitimate football schools strewn from here to the Atlantic coast, far higher up the totem pole than UNT, just not seeing the value of this kid, right?  Yeah, that's the ticket!  

But, look, I'm going to bow out now and give you all the benefit of the doubt...because we need a QB so badly, and this kid has some HUDL film.  I'm going to have popcorn, too, though, as I watch it all go down. 

I'll let YOU off the hook.

In April, Paxton Lynch will most likely be a top 10 pick in the NFL draft. He was a 2 star recruit according to 247 that played high school ball in Florida. He was offered by only Florida A&M and Memphis. Wow, lots of coaches right there in the good ol' Sunshine State missed on that one huh? I mean he was right under their noses.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Here's likely why the kid is not being recruited harder:  http://football.debartolosportsu.com/news/view/474

His dad.  Specifically, his dad has had him hooked up with kook/guru Joe Dickinson who briefly was an assistant at OU - when Littrell was there, but before Stoops and a real coaching staff were hired.

This Dickinson styles himself as a QB guru:  http://football.debartolosportsu.com/team

In my opinion, there is no bigger name dropper than Dickinson.  That this kid's name is firmly attached to him likely just causes many colleges coaches to say, "Thanks, but no thanks."

A Florida State message board on the transferring around/further Dad issues with this kid: http://floridastate.247sports.com/Board/36/Contents/spring-games-37013450

Wow,...I'm surprised he didn't show up at a couple of high schools around here known for bringing in kids from all over.

What a sad commentary in how some of these parents are these days.  I see it more and more.  Simply amazing.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

(3) Steal small stature, small town Oklahoma high school QBs from Austin Peay and Emporia State,
(4) And pursue Florida's "top QB prospect" without any offers who can't stay at one school for more than a season because of an overbearing dad who keeps moving him around - in between flying him in and out of an Oklahoma QB guru's camp.

(Please, though, keep the liquor, guns and knives away from the big money donors who arrive to see the show...that they are funding!)

Well, that explains a lot.

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

(Please, though, keep the liquor, guns and knives away from the big money donors who arrive to see the show...that they are funding!)

2/10, bad bit

Even though it's a bit, fishsmeller is bringing up some legitimate points. Definetly red flags.  Brats rarely work out from what I have seen in sports.

In some ways it's good cause the kid may actually have some physical abilities that can translate to the football field and explains why there's not a lot of intrest.

This can go a lot of ways.  If he is a spoiled brat, then he will be back home in a year.  UNT football and Denton will humble him real quick.  

Another way to look at it is he will be far away from home, away from his dad.  He may grow up and find an identity of his own.  He may appreciate the opportunity and work hard to prove doubters wrong.

4 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Even though it's a bit, fishsmeller is bringing up some legitimate points. Definetly red flags.  Brats rarely work out from what I have seen in sports.

In some ways it's good cause the kid may actually have some physical abilities that can translate to the football field and explains why there's not a lot of intrest.

This can go a lot of ways.  If he is a spoiled brat, then he will be back home in a year.  UNT football and Denton will humble him real quick.  

Another way to look at it is he will be far away from home, away from his dad.  He may grow up and find an identity of his own.  He may appreciate the opportunity and work hard to prove doubters wrong.

I see your claim, and raise you a Heisman winner:
th?id=OIP.Mcea775a9e2f82573bdd6033185eca

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I see your claim, and raise you a Heisman winner:
th?id=OIP.Mcea775a9e2f82573bdd6033185eca

Rarely...and I wasn't referring to the money part as much as the moving the kid around part.

I have seen poor and middle class kids being brats in high school sports and moving from team to team.

Edited by GOMG2013

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

uqqGxXU.gif

LMAO!!! That's the funniest GIF I've seen in a while.

And as for FishySmeller, I think he's 100% on the money with his assessment. Personally, I think Fine has the better arm (I know we've only seen highlight clips of both QB's) and is definitely the better athlete of the 2. Of course you can't teach size and that's something Dibiase has a major edge over Fine.  At this point, neither kid is going to start next year, so I wouldn't blink twice if Dibiase doesn't commit. I would be a little disappointed if Fine decided to move on elsewhere. We need kids that have talent and have the drive to prove others wrong. Fine fits that to a T.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

So, because he took his picture posing next to a Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe - I looked up the model - he must be a brat. Children of helicopter parents are not necessarily brats. Littrell has been recruiting him and had met him, apparently more than once. If Littrell didn't believe he was worth recruiting, why would he have done so at more than one University? The kid seems pretty committed to following Littrell from one University to another as well, which would explain why some other schools aren't pursuing him as much. 

I don't know what the "doubters" are actually doubting unless it's more of the "anyone who has worked for UNT in the last 50 years must be wrong" mentality. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

So, because he took his picture posing next to a Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe - I looked up the model - he must be a brat. Children of helicopter parents are not necessarily brats. Littrell has been recruiting him and had met him, apparently more than once. If Littrell didn't believe he was worth recruiting, why would he have done so at more than one University? The kid seems pretty committed to following Littrell from one University to another as well, which would explain why some other schools aren't pursuing him as much. 

Once again.  It's the moving kid around part.  4 different high schools raises a red flag.  

It could also explain why colleges backed off.  Not just for the issue of moving around, but not staying in one place can make it harder for colleges to keep up with you, you won't have a high school coach fighting for you, and you open the door for gossip.

The kid could actually play in spite of all this.  There's some red flags, but there's also a positive that the kid could actually be better than what he has shown in high school.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

If Rick Villarreal has anything to say about it, this is a done deal...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Actually, I don't care about high school team record, as recruiting is about evaluating individual talent. 

You really need to work on your communication skills. Temper tantrums when you don't like someone's opinion won't get you very far in life.

This is just comedy gold.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, untcampbell said:

No. We are supposed to not like him because we have a bunch of posters so jaded right now that anything that the University hires, recruits, says, does or doesn't do is, by its nature, something we are not supposed to like.

Any chance we can let the coaches do what they are paid to do and reserve judgement until their team runs its first play in a game that counts? 

But,

GMG

1-11 record. A rookie coach (remember when RV told us we would never hire a head coach without experience again?). Ten losing season out of the last eleven, with seven of those seasons having 3 wins or less, worst football team in FBS, an AD that apparently could kill 18 coeds and still keep collecting a paycheck, a once proud and prospering basketball program that was allowed to be completely deconstructed by a terrible coach and a terrible AD, both who somehow remain employed (they wouldn't be at any other FBS program in America), and a fan base left to hope that a walk on 5'10" 165 QB from a small school Oklahoma program can save Mean Green football.

If you aren't jaded, you are freaking mentally insane, divorced from reality, and need to seek treatment.

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This is just comedy gold.

You do love you some me. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

11 minutes ago, Green Dozer said:

So there is not a QB in the State of Texas, anywhere, that have comparable numbers to this guy?     

Why does that matter? Littrell's been talking to this guy for several years and that's common knowledge. Littrell knows the kid, knows he's been to multiple HS and probably has met his Dad. Littrell show interest in the kid long before becoming HC at NT. 

It appears he has at least two freshmen QBs coming in and one quality transfer for next year. We still have some QBs here and Littrell might be able to do more with them than did the previous coaches. If you read Littrell's bio, he is very good at developing talent. 

I'm sure that some here will hate and downgrade everything Littrell does simply because they either hate everyone who's worked in the athletic department or simply want their donation money back. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Why does that matter? Littrell's been talking to this guy for several years and that's common knowledge. Littrell knows the kid, knows he's been to multiple HS and probably has met his Dad. Littrell show interest in the kid long before becoming HC at NT. 

It appears he has at least two freshmen QBs coming in and one quality transfer for next year. We still have some QBs here and Littrell might be able to do more with them than did the previous coaches. If you read Littrell's bio, he is very good at developing talent. 

I'm sure that some here will hate and downgrade everything Littrell does simply because they either hate everyone who's worked in the athletic department or simply want their donation money back. 

As I said in another post, and should have  maybe said here, is that it seems most kids that transfer are athletes who want to get back closer to home.  I don't know the exact percentage, just my opinion.  I just think you concentrate on getting Texas players.  Yes, there are exceptions like this. Don't know how you got the rest out of my comment, that is certainly not how I feel.

Edited by Green Dozer
Correction
  • Upvote 1