MGB: Patrick, Perry staying on at UNT

Brett Vito

yep bc top teams in our conference didn't recruit big run stuffing DL... get out with your excuses

Like excuses for Patrick's d-line play? 

I didn't even say he wasn't a good recruiter. However based on the only empirical metric we have, on the field play, we haven't had a good d-line since he's been here. Blame it on who you want.

Going position by position performance and deciding which assistants to keep, Perry is the only one that really is a no-brainer. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Like excuses for Patrick's d-line play? 

I didn't even say he wasn't a good recruiter. However based on the only empirical metric we have, on the field play, we haven't had a good d-line since he's been here. Blame it on who you want.

Going position by position performance and deciding which assistants to keep, Perry is the only one that really is a no-brainer. 

I had mentioned this before in another thread. People on here act like Patrick is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the fact of the matter, whether they were his recruits or not, they got blown off the ball every play. Line play is the most important part of the game on both sides of the ball, and the d-line failed miserably this year. I honestly have no idea how good our linebackers are because they were constantly getting nailed by a guard or tackle every play working to the second level. Hell they couldn't even get in the way half the time.

I had mentioned this before in another thread. People on here act like Patrick is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the fact of the matter, whether they were his recruits or not, they got blown off the ball every play. Line play is the most important part of the game on both sides of the ball, and the d-line failed miserably this year. I honestly have no idea how good our linebackers are because they were constantly getting nailed by a guard or tackle every play working to the second level. Hell they couldn't even get in the way half the time.

that's what happens when you have to play 0-2 star freshman or RS freshman because the returning guys are so bad.  I think this season we should see an uptick and more KP type DL.  KP is a great ball coach, incredible recruiter, and relentless when he sees a player he wants.  This is all coming from personal experience.  He really wants Douglas Tucker from Parish Episcopal.  He also took some film and pictures back of Ty'rick Bennett, a 1st year Varsity football player as a SR 6'1 190 (guessing on small side) kid is a D1 athlete has multiple basketball offers but wanted to see what football could offer. Needless to say KP visited Parish a few times before dead period was over. 

• Upvote 3

What happened to Sid Moore this season? Did he have season-ending injury? He barely played. I tried to Google it but couldn't find anything. 

sid is in patricks doghouse.  He probably should have been out there.

I have seen teams be successful with smaller DLinemen.  But they are usually on defenses that mixes things up, blitz occasionally to help out, and they have tight coverage.

Not trying to defend patrick at all, but if our defensive philosophy is to stay in the same defense and expect these guys to continue to go toe to toe with big OL, it just won't work.  If we are going to have quicker DLs, then we need to use the quickness to our advantage and do more stunting and blitzing.  If we are going to keep it vanilla, just find a 320 lb DL and at least plug the middle.  

Our coaches and their philosophies did not match on both sides of the ball.

• Upvote 2

Georgia was 3-4 I can't recall off the top of my head what defense Nebraska ran when he was there.  I think USC was 4-3 during his time. Here is a rah rah video but gives good insight on what his players think about him and his energy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbhSF-p_mE

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

Georgia was 3-4 I can't recall off the top of my head what defense Nebraska ran when he was there.  I think USC was 4-3 during his time. Here is a rah rah video but gives good insight on what his players think about him and his energy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbhSF-p_mE

I don't recall Nebraska running anything but a 4-3, so that's where my money is.

• Upvote 1

I guess the discussion I want to get to is, how would Ekeler's defense

A) Affect Patrick's current line (and Mac's history of rotating players in game)

B) Affect Ekeler's current LB depth and alignment strengths/weaknesses

As many have said, DB situation is *relatively* our best on defense. Would like to know who we have coming back or stepping up next season among the front seven.

• Upvote 1

Returning Players By Position:

DB: Buyers, Gray, Brooks, Davis, Fernandes, Jones, McClain, Moore, Preston, Robinson, Schilleci, Strauss and Wells.  Good depth with Buyers, Brooks, Davis and Preston @ CB.  We should also be pretty salty at Safety with McClain and Gray back with Fernandes and I would guess Schilleci backing them up.  I am interested to see how Jones and Robinson develop.  The both have good size.

DE: Combs, Dilonga, Flusche, Howard, Johnson, Roberts and Smith.  I hope Combs comes on in year 2 and lives up to his billing.  He with Roberts or Johnson on the other side could be good with depth provided by Flusche and Roberts/Johnson.  Never heard a word about Smith and I think Howard RS.

DT: Combes, Harrison?, Moore, Tauaalo, Wallace, Wegman and Young.  A lot of question marks here.  Wallace is an enigma, Young looked like he had something as a true freshman, Tauaalo played some but didn't really stand out, Moore was reported to be in Mac's dog house, but is undersized, Harrison is reportedly gone, Combes is a walk-on/RS that comes from a good program in Maryland.  For some reason, I think he could be a sleeper.  Wegman was red-shirted.  Lot's of question marks here and a lot of room for improvement.

LB: Bean, Ellis, Finney, Garner, McNair, Minor, Montgomery, and Scott are the only returners that have shown much.  Bean was penciled in to start in the middle but missed the season with an injury.  I think that is two years in a row that he has missed, so not sure how reliable he will be.  Finney looked like a beast in the spring, but it never really translated to the regular season, McNair comes with lots of accolades and could be something special.  We shall see.  Garner had some good moments, but was never put out there on a consistent basis, Ellis and Minor and undersized but can run, Montgomery hasn't really done a lot in his couple of years and Scott has produced, but not at an Orr/Akunne level we need.  The others listed on the roster, Garror, LeMasters, Schwartz and Weideman are question marks.

Obviously, our strength is the defensive backfield.  Our front seven has to develop and step up or we will be giving up 30+ a game again next year. 

• Upvote 3