TE - Maybe Littrell

DC/LB - Mike Ekeler

DL - Kevin Patrick(possibly)

CB - ???

S - ???

Strength - ???

GA - ???

Recruiting Coordinator - ???

Not sure if Ekeler will want to combine CB and S into one DB coach or separate them. Wonder how he fills out the remaining staff and if he will name an Associate Head Coach.

• Upvote 2

Per NCAA rules you can have 1 HC, 9 Assistants, and two GAs on the staff.  There is also an exception for a S&C coach.

I am suspecting there would be  IWR/OWR coaches.

Did they increase the GA numbers because we had 4 last season with Byrd, Ybarbo, Summerfield, and Sheffield.

With the rules, you would expect either 5/4 or 4/5 offense/defense assistants. 

With Littrell being essentially an offensive guy, I thought he might go with 5 defensive assistants and take one of the position roles himself.

I am making a big assumption that Littrell will coach TEs.

I am making a big assumption that Littrell will coach TEs.

I don't think he will.  I could see TE's as a position you bring in a HS coach and let them coach with Littrell's guidance.  The other position coaches on Offense are fine without him.  I am excited to start hearing these names roll in. 

• Upvote 2

TE coach?  Why would a spread team need a TE coach?  I'm asking. I really don't know.  How many TEs would even be on the roster?  Seems like it would be lumped in with WR and the TE used occasionally in certain situations.  

I might think whoever comes in as Inside Receivers coach might also get TEs.  Or, Perry may have to coach TEs as well as RBs & Specials

• Upvote 1

TE coach?  Why would a spread team need a TE coach?  I'm asking. I really don't know.  How many TEs would even be on the roster?  Seems like it would be lumped in with WR and the TE used occasionally in certain situations.  

TE's are vital in spread scheme particularly if you are running the pistol stuff and things of the sort that Littrell likes.  It makes the LB's be responsible for something in the passing game and give offense some PA opportunities when you get the TE behind the LB's.  Don't think of TE in the Mac sense think of a good to solid run blocker but more of a route running pass catching TE.  Like how Auburn uses them, in the backfield behind the OL to move around and create different looks.  

Littrell uses the Tight End/H-Back in his offense and he has said as such. In every stop he has been an OC going back to 2009 he has also coached Tight ends and H-backs/fullbacks. You will primarily see Littrell use more of a hybrid TE/H-back player that is used more in motion and/or offset from the OT's. Think of an Andy Blount type player that can catch the ball and stretch the field in the seam. More of a downfield blocker on safeties and LBs. 

• Upvote 1

Washington State has these positions: 

Head Coach

Outside Receivers

Inside Receivers

Running backs

Offensive Line

Defensive Coordinator / Secondary

Linebackers

Inside Linebackers

Defensive Line

Special Teams

They also have a host of Quality Control / Director of Footbal Operations / Chief of Staff / Manager of Player Personal / 4 S&C coaches / 4 GA's

The Indiana Hoosiers have the following:

Head Coach

Offensive Line

Quarterbacks & Wide Receivers

Running Backs

Tight Ends and Full Backs

Defensive Coordinator

Linebackers

Defensive Line

Secondary

Secondary

They also have a host of Quality Control / S&C assistants.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 1

Washington State has these positions: 

Head Coach

Outside Receivers

Inside Receivers

Running backs

Offensive Line

Defensive Coordinator / Secondary

Linebackers

Inside Linebackers

Defensive Line

Special Teams

They also have a host of Quality Control / Director of Footbal Operations / Chief of Staff / Manager of Player Personal / 4 S&C coaches / 4 GA's

The Indiana Hoosiers have the following:

Head Coach

Offensive Line

Quarterbacks & Wide Receivers

Running Backs

Tight Ends and Full Backs

Defensive Coordinator

Linebackers

Defensive Line

Secondary

Secondary

They also have a host of Quality Control / S&C assistants.

You can have many "off the field" roles like quality control and high school relations of you have the extra cash to pay them. They are technically not allowed to actively coach on the field.....but it's not highly enforced. It all depends on how much money you have in the assistant budget, or if you can get guys to volunteer.

• Upvote 2