This would be a solid hire for OC

unt_rocket09

the guy has been a coach for 2 seasons and that's it?   Yeah his history is impressive but I have to think that an OC would have a bit more under his belt than 2 whole seasons....    I like the qb coach.  Maybe asst oc or co oc.   But I don't think I trust handing the reins over to someone who has seen so little coaching experience so far. 

I would expect Littrell to remain very heavy-handed in the team's offense, at least for the first year.  If Harrell is here, he'll basically be using it as a learning experience from one of the best offensive coordinators in the NCAA for the first year.  The second year, I bet he would take more control and bloom.

DC is the more critical hire.

• Upvote 1

our head coach is one of the best oc's in the country... its just a title 

Flawed thinking.

He isn't an OC anymore. He is a head coach. 

Hire an OC with some experience. Bring Harrell in as QB coach and an understudy, if you must. Give him a Co title if you must. 

But hire an OC with some OC experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Flawed thinking.

Hire an OC with some experience. Bring Harrell in as QB coach and an understudy, if you must. Give him a Co title if you must. 

Regardless of who we bring in as OC, we're going to be running Littrell's offense. So why not bring in someone who already knows the system? Plus, Harrell will be great for developing young QBs.

• Upvote 2

Flawed thinking.

I don't buy this whole "experience" thing as a hiring criteria anymore. Most of Mac's crew was experienced, but they were just guys picking up paychecks and not looking to climb the ladder such as Cosh. Take a look at most of the offensive coordinators at P5's in Texas right now.. all guys in their 30's with no prior OC experience but trying to work their way up to head coach some day. Sonny Cumbie, Eric Morris, Kendal Briles, Spavital, etc. I believe it was Billy who said in a previous topic that experience/age shouldn't necessarily matter, it's about finding the best fits for each position. If we don't land Harrell he will be looked at by much bigger programs than us as an OC. 

• Upvote 1

Flawed thinking.

6 years in mike leachs system.  And in between those years he was backing up an mvp Qb. Not to mention he is a Texas high school football legend and would help major in recruiting. I love our last oc  don't get me wrong. But he had 33 years in coaching, and our team finished in the bottom in NCAA. So I think experience is a little overrated.. 

• Upvote 3