We saw this coming

Dr. Seuss

According to reports- Meacham is RV's guy and Littrell is Prez guy

Prez had his own consulting firm do the work.. Looks like RV had a different plan.  They've never been on the same page from Day 1.  There's gotta be some sort of change with RV too, this all doesn't make sense. 

Prez just made RV act like he was doing his job when he was just really keeping him busy.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Prez had his own consulting firm do the work.. Looks like RV had a different plan.  They've never been on the same page from Day 1.  There's gotta be some sort of change with RV too, this all doesn't make sense. 

Prez just made RV act like he was doing his job when he was just really keeping him busy.

Link? Or do you have a source?9

Seems like meachum was the first choice and may have been RVs guy.  Prez gave RV a chance to get him in and one of the biggest selling points was he could come in earlier and help recruiting.  Once the stalling started, Prez said I gave you a chance, now we are going with my guy...you wasted my time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If Smatresk didn't want RV doing athletic director things then why wouldn't he just fire his arse?

Because big donors have threatened to pull funding?

Because the BOR won't let him?

Because he wants to space out the firing of DMac and RV for some reason?

Here is a conspiracy theory for you. What if Smatresk already has his AD candidate picked out and involved that person in the AD search on the down low? 

Wouldnt that be something? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

If Smatresk and RV did not end up on the same guy, then I sure hope we take Smatresks guy. And if they did not end up on the same guy, then I believe whatever is the outcome that by by august 2016 we have a new AD. Another good thing.

Why not now? I can totally see Smatresk trying to make RVs departure look as amicable as possible to appease certain donors. Also he needs RV to find the money to buy out Benford first.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

If this is the case all I can say is OMG.  As much as I want RV gone, I would hope they would do it in orderly fashion without this confusion.

I use a similar method with my kids.  I will make my decision on something to guarantee that if all else fails, I have something thought of and planned.  I give the kids a chance to come up with something equal or better and sell me on it.  If they can't come up with something, we are rolling with my choice.  I gave you a shot, and you didn't deliver.

• Upvote 1

If Smatresk and RV did not end up on the same guy, then I sure hope we take Smatresks guy. And if they did not end up on the same guy, then I believe whatever is the outcome that by by august 2016 we have a new AD. Another good thing.

Why not now? I can totally see Smatresk trying to make RVs departure look as amicable as possible to appease certain donors. Also he needs RV to find the money to buy out Benford first.

Smatresk accepts RV's "resignation" to be effective on 12/31/15.  This allows saving face for RV by being able to clean out his office while everyone else is gone for Christmas Break. Hey...it could happen. Sound like a plan?

• Upvote 5

Smatresk accepts RV's "resignation" to be effective on 12/31/15.  This allows saving face for RV by being able to clean out his office while everyone else is gone for Christmas Break. Hey...it could happen. Sound like a plan?

Sounds like a good plan. It gives him a chance to participate in the Christmas White Elephant gift exchange one more time. 

I could tell early on rv was never presidents guy.  The tension was fierce and they rarely showed up at the same events like utsa and rice. Smastrek doesn't do ineptness.

let Rick pick one last coach perceived to have picked him then ride into sunset on 12.31.  Very smart and clever.

gmg

• Upvote 3

Let's go full tin foil hat here.  Consider this scenario:

<scene opens>

Smatresk does not like RV.  He thinks he is inept, but he has to play it smart.  Smatresk knows there are two very qualified final candidates.  He knows RV has a favorite (Meacham).  After all the guy has TCU ties.  Smatresk decides Littrell is equally qualified, maybe even likes him a little more.  He allows it to get out that there are two finalist and that Meacham has the last interview (knowing RV will want to offer as soon as interview is complete).  Smatresk makes sure this info is allowed to get out (hello @Brett Vito).

Vito has been around the block and senses what is going on.  Vito makes sure to get the word out that RV's leading candidate is Meacham, but knows that Meacham is not going to get the job.  Word starts spreading on the interweb.  RV looks smart.  Nice hire.  Good choice.  Then, a small hiccup.  There seems to be a delay.  Conflicting reports.  Chaos.  UNT AD looks inept.  Which candidate is it?  I thought RV was in charge?  Who is really in charge?

Finally, the trigger is pulled.  It is not Meacham.  It becomes very clear who is in charge.  And who is not.  UNT gets the guy that @UNTPrez wanted all along and he figuratively castrates his AD in the process.

<fade to black>

Brett Vito can be heard laughing in the background in his best Vincent Price voice...

<end>

That is how the big boys play politics

• Upvote 2

Let's go full tin foil hat here.  Consider this scenario:

<scene opens>

Smatresk does not like RV.  He thinks he is inept, but he has to play it smart.  Smatresk knows there are two very qualified final candidates.  He knows RV has a favorite (Meacham).  After all the guy has TCU ties.  Smatresk decides Littrell is equally qualified, maybe even likes him a little more.  He allows it to get out that there are two finalist and that Meacham has the last interview (knowing RV will want to offer as soon as interview is complete).  Smatresk makes sure this info is allowed to get out (hello @Brett Vito).

Vito has been around the block and senses what is going on.  Vito makes sure to get the word out that RV's leading candidate is Meacham, but knows that Meacham is not going to get the job.  Word starts spreading on the interweb.  RV looks smart.  Nice hire.  Good choice.  Then, a small hiccup.  There seems to be a delay.  Conflicting reports.  Chaos.  UNT AD looks inept.  Which candidate is it?  I thought RV was in charge?  Who is really in charge?

Finally, the trigger is pulled.  It is not Meacham.  It becomes very clear who is in charge.  And who is not.  UNT gets the guy that @UNTPrez wanted all along and he figuratively castrates his AD in the process.

<fade to black>

Brett Vito can be heard laughing in the background in his best Vincent Price voice...

<end>

That is how the big boys play politics

I hope this is true, also for Vitos sake, a man that has definitely suffered as much as the rest of us under RV. But if Smatresk is really playing big boy politics, then he will not tell peons like Vito what is really going on but just use backchannels to feed him the minimum information Vito needs to know and not a single iota more so he can play his role .

Edited by outoftown