Carlos Harris

UNTLifer

It was an illegal it. I usually hate the targeting rule, but this was textbook. He launched himself off the ground and made forceable contact to the head of a defenseless player. 

This was a text book hit, not text book targeting.

One foot on the ground, shoulder to chest.

A violent collision, but not illegal.

• Upvote 4

That photo is blurred he cleanly hit the side of the head and he was coming off the ground to do it. I have played and watched enough Hockey to know this kind of hit. Dirty in hockey and now dirty in Football. On TV they showed it like 10 times.

I can't speak to the consistency of the calls, but they don't all get called in Hockey that is for sure. 

That photo is blurred he cleanly hit the side of the head and he was coming off the ground to do it. I have played and watched enough Hockey to know this kind of hit. Dirty in hockey and now dirty in Football. On TV they showed it like 10 times.

I can't speak to the consistency of the calls, but they don't all get called in Hockey that is for sure. 

first moment of contact his right foot is clearly on the ground.  Your seeing the followthrough.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The most successful (really by a wide margin) of Mccarney's unheralded recruits leaves this team at the ire of most UNT fans. Too bad.

The guy scored over 1/2 of the receiving TDs this year (over 1/3 of the total TDs).  

People are pissed off about this team's attitude & results, and need someone to take out frustrations upon.  

Harris fits the bill of course.  Boisterous, maybe even selfish, on/off the field. 

Since McCarney is already gone & there are 500 new threads/wk about the poor job RV&crew are doing, people need some other release for their anger.  I just hope y'all understand that even with sideline antics & twitter issues, this was a guy who never quit unlike many of his teammates on multiple occasions.  

If he was/is a dreaded 'locker room cancer', I wonder what the rest of those guys in the locker room were/are?

I guess I'll be the first (hopefully not the only) one to say "Thank You" Carlos.  I hope you can learn from your very public mistakes & best of luck to you in your future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

first moment of contact his right foot is clearly on the ground.  Your seeing the followthrough.

Rick

exactly, he was launching himself off the ground and made clear contact with the head area of a defenseless player. It doesnt matter where a foot was at the point of contact. It's the entire process of the hit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Rick

Maybe, his intent was clear, in your second photo it appears to me contact is about to happen and it is really hard for me to say that foot is still on the ground. He is definitely springing to the head either way, and if he was not completely off the ground at that hundredth of a second is dumb luck. 

He seemed like he was trying to hurt someone. 

Maybe, his intent was clear, in your second photo it appears to me contact is about to happen and it is really hard for me to say that foot is still on the ground. He is definitely springing to the head either way, and if he was not completely off the ground at that hundredth of a second is dumb luck. 

He seemed like he was trying to hurt someone. 

cAHDIpA.jpg

Another angle....right foot clearly and completely in contact with the ground after the point of contact,..head across in front of his head AVOIDING head-to-head contact so as to not injure.  

Its a bullshit call.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Not trying to defend this pos, but it was indeed a legal hit. I thought it watching it live, I thought it watching replays, and I think it looking at these photos. It was a peel back dirty hit, yes. Illegal, no. Either way, good riddance Harris. 

• Upvote 7

It was targeting. Period. He could have seriously hurt that player. 

Yes it was Targeting!  He turned and targeted a guy to make a text book block.  Yes he could have hurt the guy, it is called FOOTBALL!!!   Amazing to me that so many people are calling this as an indictment on Harris, but two years ago when we lit up Ball State multiple time with hits just as questionable and vicious we were all calling them babies and such.  

If the hit would have been applied by any other player other than Harris we would all be standing behind the player and agreeing that the call was BS, but since it was Harris (and because of his actions afterward is why we are not.

• Upvote 4

The guy scored over 1/2 of the receiving TDs this year (over 1/3 of the total TDs).  

People are pissed off about this team's attitude & results, and need someone to take out frustrations upon.  

Harris fits the bill of course.  Boisterous, maybe even selfish, on/off the field. 

Since McCarney is already gone & there are 500 new threads/wk about the poor job RV&crew are doing, people need some other release for their anger.  I just hope y'all understand that even with sideline antics & twitter issues, this was a guy who never quit unlike many of his teammates on multiple occasions.  

If he was/is a dreaded 'locker room cancer', I wonder what the rest of those guys in the locker room were/are?

I guess I'll be the first (hopefully not the only) one to say "Thank You" Carlos.  I hope you can learn from your very public mistakes & best of luck to you in your future.

Im with ya dude.  He was one of the few that showed some fight.  Any fight.  I didn't like the sideline celebrating getting ejected but it could have been just his way to release the horseshit frustrations that had to have been pinned up inside,...like laughing it off and saying eff the whole thing?  I don't agree with it but I understand it.  I thank him for his efforts thruoghout his career.  We needed more just like him.

Rick

It was targeting. Period. He could have seriously hurt that player. 

...despite what my photos show to the contrary.  It wasn't nearly as bad as the hit we put on the QB for MTSU in '13 and everyone here couldn't high five each other hard enough afterwards.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Yes it was Targeting!  He turned and targeted a guy to make a text book block.  Yes he could have hurt the guy, it is called FOOTBALL!!!   Amazing to me that so many people are calling this as an indictment on Harris, but two years ago when we lit up Ball State multiple time with hits just as questionable and vicious we were all calling them babies and such.  

If the hit would have been applied by any other player other than Harris we would all be standing behind the player and agreeing that the call was BS, but since it was Harris (and because of his actions afterward is why we are not.

Those hits vs Ball St were on people holding a ball or touching a football in our once no fly zone. Not quite the same. 

With Harris, yes, he could have hurt the guy. But any guy could hurt any guy on any given play. This is, after all, football. It was a scummy hit, but legal. 

Completely legal hit. It was a savagely hard hit and completely legal. The refs got this one wrong and it may have cost the game. Well, Chico's rendition of pee wee rec football and making sure everyone got a turn cost us the game first but this hurt bad.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4

I see a lot of criticism for Carlos but let us not forget the coaches that continued to allow him to suit up for games.  I have stated it at the time and will state again here; Carlos and the team would have been better off letting him focus on finishing his academic career.  It is a dead issue because now he and the coaches are gone.  People chastised me for being negative about the Athletic Department in general because it might run people off "banner and stuff".  But you want to run recruits off keep trashing(albeit accurately) former players who were some of the most productive for a program that has had very little success the past 10 years.  It is totally unproductive in my opinion cause there is nothing to change now.  Now if Canales was still here (as much I liked him), I would be beating the drum for him to be fired for letting Carlos's act continue (among other discipline issues).

Overall this is one the incidents that people outside the program looks at us and say "What the hell is wrong with these people"

Also I bet more these "hard core" fans talking negatively about Carlos weren't at this game.  And UNT Alumni not showing up for games is far and away a bigger cancer for this program than just one player who made some bone headed mistakes.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

Yeah you guys might want to read the rules. It could not be more textbook targeting according to what I am reading here.  

Yeah you guys might want to read the rules. It could not be more textbook targeting according to what I am reading here.  

Thank you for posting the rule. Not sure how anyone can watch the play and not understand why a flag was thrown. Harris could have easily blocked the guy without trying to take his head off. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1