Updated Rankling of open college jobs

Harry

Found it interesting that they listed us above Iowa State, Hawaii and ULM.

10. North Texas

Potential. Potential. Potential.

It's a university in Texas, which plays football. Need I say more?

The talent is there, and you can compete in C-USA. The problem: Can you compete in your own state? So far the answer to this question is no.

read more:  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/11/lsu_job_open_herere_the_vacanc.html

if smaller schools can recruit with sub par facilities, North Texas can.  

hopefully the new coach is not like the previous staff and most of this fanbase, and realize that they are recruiting in the state of Texas and that building a new stadium means nothing in the grand scheme of things.  

Why can't people understand this is a totally different circumstance.  Latech, marshall, etc has worse facilities...so what?  A recruit is going to come to UNT cause of apogee...really?  

hopefully the new coach is not like the previous staff and most of this fanbase, and realize that they are recruiting in the state of Texas and that building a new stadium means nothing in the grand scheme of things.  

Why can't people understand this is a totally different circumstance.  Latech, marshall, etc has worse facilities...so what?  A recruit is going to come to UNT cause of apogee...really?  

I wasn't referring to just Apogee, but all of the athletic facilities. that's why i typed...facilities. it does make a difference to some recruits.  overall, the coaching staff needs to convince athletes why north Texas has potential and show them how they can play a major role. 

• Upvote 2

Ok then, riddle me this. NT, La Tech and Marshall are all going after the same (for us) "can't miss" recruit. If as you say we have better facilities then why do these "can't miss" guys usually go to LaTech and Marshall? 

Ok then, riddle me this. NT, La Tech and Marshall are all going after the same (for us) "can't miss" recruit. If as you say we have better facilities then why do these "can't miss" guys usually go to LaTech and Marshall? 

Cause the guys recruiting them are not feeding them a line of BS about how great he is and all the skins on the wall he has?

Just a guess.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Because kids in Louisiana view Latech as a better option than kids in texas view UNT.  Something like facilities can break a tie.  It won't make a Louisiana kid leave the state and play at UNT over latech.   

Fans say so much about facilities on here, but UNTs competition are the other D1 schools in the State.  Why are so many people missing this important detail?  Even mac talked up facilities in his coachspeak. If that is your major selling point, you are in big trouble.

I would rather a coach just go out on a limb and guarantee success and winning seasons to get recruits.  May as well.  You are going to get fired if you lose anyway.

With the exception of Texas state and utsa, all the other schools in this area have much more to sell than some facility pitch.  They have football success, conferences, fanbases, nfl drafts, etc.  Cant even really sell playing time either because these big 12 schools are throwing freshmen out there too.  

Whoever the new coach is, he will have to get a good group of recruiters that can sell their system, and pretty much talk a bunch of smack and hope they can back it up.  To get a top recruit, you may have to just come out and say "you will be a game changing player for us and we will build our system around your talent...the job is yours to lose as soon as you set foot on campus"  it may not work out, or it may be a lie...welcome to recruiting in Texas, UNT...

• Upvote 2

Because kids in Louisiana view Latech as a better option than kids in texas view UNT.  Something like facilities can break a tie.  It won't make a Louisiana kid leave the state and play at UNT over latech.   

Fans say so much about facilities on here, but UNTs competition are the other D1 schools in the State.  Why are so many people missing this important detail?  Even mac talked up facilities in his coachspeak. If that is your major selling point, you are in big trouble.

I would rather a coach just go out on a limb and guarantee success and winning seasons to get recruits.  May as well.  You are going to get fired if you lose anyway.

With the exception of Texas state and utsa, all the other schools in this area have much more to sell than some facility pitch.  They have football success, conferences, fanbases, nfl drafts, etc.  Cant even really sell playing time either because these big 12 schools are throwing freshmen out there too.  

Whoever the new coach is, he will have to get a good group of recruiters that can sell their system, and pretty much talk a bunch of smack and hope they can back it up.  To get a top recruit, you may have to just come out and say "you will be a game changing player for us and we will build our system around your talent...the job is yours to lose as soon as you set foot on campus"  it may not work out, or it may be a lie...welcome to recruiting in Texas, UNT...

All 100% accurate. 

On a side note, I'm surprised UNT hasn't grabbed this article up and spun it as, "North Texas Football: A top 10 job in the country!" 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1