Which recruiting class is Mac's best?

Wag Tag

The problem with the line of thinking that the 15 class is stock full of talent is that they're on the field because of piss poor results from the upperclassmen not because they are worthy of playing yet. Hard to call the 15 class a success with so many JUCO players who (once again) have not panned out.

I guess 2014 was okay, we actually grabbed a few players with decent offer sheets.

• Upvote 1

Last year's class was ranked 90th by Rivals. The year before,coming after the HoD winning season, we were ranked dead-ass last in FBS. The previous classes were ranked below 100, as well.

When you run an offense that Darrell Royal would have believed to be too conservative in 1965, you probably won't get too many talented players on offense, usually...

• Upvote 1

The 2014 class was by far his best in terms of signees' offer lists, and in terms of biggest role played on the team by any Mccarney class in year 2 (as true sophomores and redshirt freshman).

The 2015 class was given a lot of hype, and it keeps being made out to be this really good class that was better than the ones before it, but it was not in terms of offer list and the results have been a mixed bad so far. It's promising, but it's not like the group has given a bunch of "can you believe he's only a true freshman?" performances outside of Roderick Young.

This last one if loaded with talent several are starting and contributing this season as true freshman. I think the three best pickups are all red shirted with howard, Harrison and Dillman 

I loved the Dillman pickup, thinking we would let him play QB first and move him to tight end as a failsafe. Just strictly as a tight end, I think the hype for him needs to be tempered. We were the only school that offered him as a tight end, he has only played the position in games on the JV level, and he didn't crack the rotation this year.

Not cracking the rotation and redshirting as a true freshman is definitely not reason to write him off, but that plus that we were the only school to offer him as a tight end means he really hasn't done anything as a tight end to earn hype. Should he be given time to develop? Absolutely. Should he be considered a top signee? Definitely not yet.

The 2014 class was by far his best in terms of signees' offer lists, and in terms of biggest role played on the team by any Mccarney class in year 2 (as true sophomores and redshirt freshman).

The 2015 class was given a lot of hype, and it keeps being made out to be this really good class that was better than the ones before it, but it was not in terms of offer list and the results have been a mixed bad so far. It's promising, but it's not like the group has given a bunch of "can you believe he's only a true freshman?" performances outside of Roderick Young.

I loved the Dillman pickup, thinking we would let him play QB first and move him to tight end as a failsafe. Just strictly as a tight end, I think the hype for him needs to be tempered. We were the only school that offered him as a tight end, he has only played the position in games on the JV level, and he didn't crack the rotation this year.

Not cracking the rotation and redshirting as a true freshman is definitely not reason to write him off, but that plus that we were the only school to offer him as a tight end means he really hasn't done anything as a tight end to earn hype. Should he be given time to develop? Absolutely. Should he be considered a top signee? Definitely not yet.

I guess rivals and 247 got it wrong along with me 

I guess rivals and 247 got it wrong along with me 

If Rivals agrees that the 2015 class is better then why did they rate our 2014 class with 4 three-stars while the 2015 class only had 2? All the other signees were rated two-stars, yet the 2015 class was rated higher for having more signees I guess. Less signees and more three-stars for the 2014 class. 

Through 247 our 2015 class got a nice bump from Vito forging a relationship with Brian Perroni of 247 in the last few months of the recruiting cycle. Perroni actually then reevaluated and more fairly rated our 2015 commits, whereas in 2014 many of our signees were given a spare rating back in the summer before their senior year and were never given a serious re-evaluation because they committed to North Texas and not a program that actually has a subsite and subscribers to 247.

That's why I say focus on the offer lists. The rating game is very fragile, inconsistent from year to year, and often misleading for North Texas commits and signees in particular, because we don't have active subsites and subscribers through Rivals or 247.

Offer lists are a much better measuring stick because they are consistent from year to year. The better the offer lists, the better the school is doing at recruiting, and actually outrecruiting other schools for the players we want. And according to FBS coaches our 2014 class was our best under Mccarney, including 2015.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

At least, reality has come to most of the remaining fan base.  I use to opine that NT's recruiting was sub-par and got immediate response about how those ratings don't matter and multiple examples of low ranked recruits that have excelled.  And my personal favorite, "you can't tell the value of a class till their eligibility is over".   Although technically true, their low rankings of NT's classes have been shown  to be accurate.