Coach Search

Ben Gooding

In a time of disarray within the AD and fan base why isn't the athletic department being open at all with the fan base on who we are going after? We all obviously need something to be excited about and we are all stakeholders in some capacity. So why is the AD being so quite right now. If I'm the athletic director in a time like this I would be personally feeding the fan base as much real life information as possible. Granted in respect to candidates that are going through the last few games of the season with their current teams it is good practice to keep on the low, but there are ways to leak information that doesn't point fingers at any one party involved. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I prefer it this way. Sure we all want as much information as possible. It's great to debate the candidates and talk about who we want/need. The reality is that the candidates more than likely are demanding that we be discreet so as not to cause harm to their current teams in regards to recruiting, coaching, fan reaction, etc... I don't want the the athletic department to cause ANY candidate to shy away due to "leaks".  Now if reporters, bloggers, etc... know information and report it, that's a different story. Reporters should not be beholden to the confidentiality wishes of UNT or anyone else. This is an exciting time. We will all know in a couple of weeks and we will get to debate the decision. We will get to talk about who he will hire for the staff. We will get to talk about recruits and then BAM Spring ball is here and we get to see the new product on the field. Hope springs eternal.

• Upvote 3

Posting got the third, fourth, or fifth time...hoping, probably in vain, that it will reach someone's gray matter:

(1) During negotiations, both sides will sign non-disclosures.  Non-disclosure means no side will tell what was discussed with any other source.
(2) SEE (1)
(3) SEE (1) and (2) 

I trying, really trying, to understand why that is difficult for people to understand.

Also, I've revealed the way that other schools track their coaching interviews:  flight plans.  I even gave the example of a Florida fan website tracking the flight plan of their AD to Colorado to interview then-Colorado State coach Jim McElwain: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/swamp-things-blog/os-gators-jeremy-foley-jim-mcelwain-20141202-story.html

The athletic director and the candidates are going to be sworn (legally) to secrecy.  So, the only way to get solid information is to gumshoe it yourselves as a fanbase, as Florida did, and many other have before.

So, I'll ask the question asked two weeks ago:  does anyone know where Rick flies from when on University business?  And, does anyone have access to the flight plans?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We also have to remember RV has been a tad under fire lately, so he is probably thinking the less he gives us to complain about the better. I have to admit the banter on the board is better with less information about who the real candidates are. When the day comes that we are down to the final three I would like the AD to get the word out. In the meantime, keep searching RV! Your job may depend on... uh?... well no, probably not.

GMG!!!

• Upvote 3

So then who leaked the Riley interview then? No excuse IF that was a mistake or someone leaked that should not have.  Could have in theory cost us a great candidate.  All speculation of course. *shakes virtual fist in the air*

Two possibilities:

1. RV "casually" tells someone in the department in "confidence" or "accidentally" leaves the information on a table in the AC(oops) with the intention of it getting leaked. He does this to let the public know we are going after good candidates.

2. Riley "casually" tells a friend who then leaks the info so that OU knows he is wanted in an attempt to get a nice raise. 

Either way it was definitely intentional and done for personal gain.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I thought it was good and fun to have leaks and something to talk about as fans. Then Lincoln Riley happened and we basically got laughed at by OU fans when he denied it. I did enjoy them sweating for those couple hours though. I seriously doubt he is so thin skinned that the leak would turn him off from the job though. 

Two possibilities:

1. RV "casually" tells someone in the department in "confidence" or "accidentally" leaves the information on a table in the AC(oops) with the intention of it getting leaked. He does this to let the public know we are going after good candidates.

2. Riley "casually" tells a friend who then leaks the info so that OU knows he is wanted in an attempt to get a nice raise. 

Either way it was definitely intentional and done for personal gain.

#1 definitely happened, and I'm sure he is keeping plenty in the loop as well, but that's not who leaked it. The Star Telegram stated it was a "University Official" which means it was likely someone in the AD's office who shouldn't have let that get out. My bet is a lower level employee who may have been a little over eager and/or disgruntled about something. 

I thought it was good and fun to have leaks and something to talk about as fans. Then Lincoln Riley happened and we basically got laughed at by OU fans when he denied it. I did enjoy them sweating for those couple hours though. I seriously doubt he is so thin skinned that the leak would turn him off from the job though. 

I wonder if the OU fans would laugh as hard if he were to show up at a presser at Apogee on Monday 11/30 because UNT threw $1mil+ at him to be a HC?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

#1 definitely happened, and I'm sure he is keeping plenty in the loop as well, but that's not who leaked it. The Star Telegram stated it was a "University Official" which means it was likely someone in the AD's office who shouldn't have let that get out. My bet is a lower level employee who may have been a little over eager and/or disgruntled about something. 

You could be right but I am never in the camp that believes things like these are not intentional and calculated. Leaks like these happen by people with something to gain. 

I wonder if the OU fans would laugh as hard if he were to show up at a presser at Apogee on Monday 11/30 because UNT threw $1mil+ at him to be a HC?

Nope, which will make it awesome if it happens. 

You could be right but I am never in the camp that believes things like these are not intentional and calculated. Leaks like these happen by people with something to gain. 

I don't think RV purposely let it leak to the Star Telegram, I'll say that. I don't think he had anything to gain by that getting out. It could have been anyone from the secretary to the person who booked the flight. I think some people just like the thrill of being the media "informant." I'm sure RV interrogated the whole office and took some steps to make sure nothing else would leak after the Riley thing. 

• Upvote 1