MAJOR APPLEWHITE

TheReal_jayD

Great name. Tons of diverse experience. Huge texas ties. Though still young at 37. Has worked under Mack Brown, Nick Saban, and now Tom Herman. And best part he is only making $300,000 this year. Here is a pretty good read about him.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/houston-cougars-oc-coach-major-applewhite-ohio-state-buckeyes-texas-longhorns-tom-herman-041615

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Applewhite works for me, unless Briles somehow agrees to talk to us. I think Applewhite would be good for recruiting and could land a few players just based on his resume. Still sounds a bit odd to me.. we would have a Longhorn coaching for a fanbase that doesn't like the Longhorns? Knowing how Applewhites tenure ended there, makes me wonder how aggressive his would play calling might be when we play against UT in Austin? That could be very Jerry Springer-ish? I say what the hell.. bring him on if he will take the job. I'm in.

GMG!!!

• Upvote 2

If Herman leaves (hope not for a couple more seasons, got pretty solid 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes and a loaded team for a 2016 run opening the season with Oklahoma IN Houston), then Applewhite may be the next head coach at UH.

or he comes here for 3 years making a million each year ( around a 600k plus raise) gets coaching experience and can still move on to a bigger job.

Mr King,

you guys are having a great season, are you selling out the stadium?   Just doing some research, i think it takes more than winning to sell out a stadium but it helps a lot.

Today's game against Memphis will be our first Sellout + SRO  (standing room only) of the season and the Navy game that's 2 weeks from now is also nearing sellout. I will also say that IF we win the AAC West and host the championship game, that too will be a sellout. Around 41-42k is expected this evening, which will break our previous on-campus attendance record of 40,755 set last year for our game against UTSA. Aside from the SMU game (Texans AND Astros were playing at home at the same time, the Astros were in the playoffs). We have drew anywhere from 30-35k every home game this season. If we still had Robertson where capacity was only 30k (32k counting Standing room) then we would have sold out every home game this season.

To answer your most recent post, while winning is the biggest factor in attendance, it also takes a storyline and buildup as well. When UNT won 4 straight Sun Belt titles, attendance was still dismal not only because the Sun Belt was a glorified FCS conference, but mainly because Dickey's teams weren't winning their OOC games and didn't have any marquee wins to grab attention in the first place.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Mr King,

you guys are having a great season, are you selling out the stadium?   Just doing some research, i think it takes more than winning to sell out a stadium but it helps a lot.

Tonight is going to be a sell out for Memphis.  Navy is almost sold out for Black Friday

Before that (reverse chronlogical)

Cincinnati 33k in the rain

Vandy 30k in the rain on Halloween night

SMU 25k on Thursday with Texans playing at same time in town and Astros in playoffs out of town (horrible scheduling)

TX State 35k

Tennessee Tech 30k

No excuses for not having more sell outs, but we've had some challenges this year that we've failed to overcome. 

Right now Applewhite would be 5th on my list behind Fritz, Withers, Babers, and Thomsen.  The only knock is that he has no HC experience.  He should be really interested considering his familiarity with Texas and desire to be a HC.  

Fritz (7-2 at GS) is making just over 500,000 and so is Babers (8-2 at BG).  They are longshots at best but both have strong Texas ties.

Withers (8-2 at JM) is making about 350,000.  He might be a possiblity.

Thomsen as an OC should be interested since he has strong Texas ties and has been an HC in Texas.