Chris Thomsen

BIG DAWG

Chris Thomsen and I share a common friend who told me today that he has been contacted by NT to gauge his interest, but no interview has been set up at this time. He made sure to let the university know he is interested.

The more I think about him as a possibility, he kind of reminds me of Art Briles in the route he is taking. 

Please don't misunderstand my comparison, in that I think he is an Art Briles starter kit, but both have HS experience, went to college to cut their teeth as position coaches, then became college head coaches. Art has demonstrated more success over a longer career, but Thomsen has Texas ties (in the NT area), has recruited the area as a HC, and I would think has the respect of Texas HS coaches.

What might be more important, to me anyway, might be fact that he could also provide longer range stability to the program than some of the younger, more glamorous, options that are out there.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

He is one of the best recruiters in the country.  I he was willing to structure his contract in such a way to let him hire experience coordinator and a good staff, it would be a very good hire.

If we could somehow get both Norvell and Thomesen to come here... I don't know, my heart would grow three sizes?  

I would be fine with him as he has won at smaller places.

I also would not mind the James Madison Coach, Ga Southern, Arkansas St, or Jacksonville State coaches as they have shown they can win at remote destinations with out the amenities, of course everyone one of them have much better fan, school, and alumni supported programs, so UNT might be lateral move outside of the money.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I want to be the one to say it...NO. 

If this our guy and he does get hired I will be digging this very comment up in about 3.5 years. There is not room for OL coaches to be head coaches. We can do better. With that said, for the ones that are pro Thomsen, this is so a RV hire. 

If you are concerned about titles, then on this ASU link he's listed as "Assistant Head Coach" (OL).....http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207911673

I believe that Dan McCarney had pretty much the same title at Florida.......only DL.

Chris Thomsen and I share a common friend who told me today that he has been contacted by NT to gauge his interest, but no interview has been set up at this time. He made sure to let the university know he is interested.

The more I think about him as a possibility, he kind of reminds me of Art Briles in the route he is taking. 

Please don't misunderstand my comparison, in that I think he is an Art Briles starter kit, but both have HS experience, went to college to cut their teeth as position coaches, then became college head coaches. Art has demonstrated more success over a longer career, but Thomsen has Texas ties (in the NT area), has recruited the area as a HC, and I would think has the respect of Texas HS coaches.

What might be more important, to me anyway, might be fact that he could also provide longer range stability to the program than some of the younger, more glamorous, options that are out there.

I think that Thomsen is more than qualified to be our next head coach.  But this right here is what I've been thinking too.  If we were to hire one of these so called young guns and they were the least bit successful, they would move on to greener pastures at first chance.  I think Thomsen would stay put a little longer and invest a few more years into this program.  I know some have even advocated for our program to be a stepping stone, and I understand that mentality to a point, but I don't think its in our best interest to have a revolving door of coaches every few years.  From all indications, Chris Thomsen above all else is a good man.  I could be wrong but I feel like if  he were to get this job, there would be a much higher level of commitment back to UNT than any of the other candidates mentioned.  

One other thing that I have not seen mention of and that I think that is very important is what kind of staff will our next head coach be able to assemble.  This is critical for two reasons.  The obvious reason is a sound overall staff is important to winning in the near term.  And two, and maybe more importantly, is building a good staff also opens the avenue to groom a predecessor.  

I want to be the one to say it...NO. 

If this our guy and he does get hired I will be digging this very comment up in about 3.5 years. There is not room for OL coaches to be head coaches. We can do better. With that said, for the ones that are pro Thomsen, this is so a RV hire. 

He coached Texas Tech's bowl game after Tuberville left and he won.  He's not an OL coach who has never been a head coach. 

• Upvote 1

He is one of the best recruiters in the country.  I he was willing to structure his contract in such a way to let him hire experience coordinator and a good staff, it would be a very good hire.

If we could somehow get both Norvell and Thomesen to come here... I don't know, my heart would grow three sizes?  

WTF?

200.gif

Oh, Oh, Oh you said heart! Carry on.

• Downvote 1

There is not room for OL coaches to be head coaches. We can do better. With that said, for the ones that are pro Thomsen, this is so a RV hire. 

Why are you writing him off as just an OL coach when he was the head coach at Abilene Christian for seven years?

The chances of Babers or Fritz leaving where they're at now and coming to Denton is slim to none in my opinion.  Both are having success at the FBS level now and would be better positioned for a P5 job by continuing to win where they're at.  If their desire is to be a P5 coach, coming to UNT would set them back years towards that quest.  Whether you want to admit it or not, it is going to take a few years to right this ship.  You don't change the numbers below overnight.

Team Stats - Through games 11/11/2015
StatRankValue
Total Offense108345.9
Rushing Offense77165.8
Passing Offense107180.1
Team Passing Efficiency12594.99
Scoring Offense11717.6
Total Defense123541.3
Rushing Defense120254.4
Passing Yards Allowed117286.9
Team Passing Efficiency Defense124166.28
Scoring Defense12545.6