Mario Cristobal

Cr1028

He's a perfect hire for Miami.

He's 27-47 as a HC  and I hate Miami.

He took a program that was in its third year of FBS football, and only its sixth year of existence, and took them to two bowl games in six year.  

This is only FIU's 10th year as a full FBS football program and they've been to more bowl games than we have in the past 10 years...and Cristobal led them to both.  That's not impressive?

It's impressive to me because they were, essentially, in the same boat as us:  the little fish in a big pond where bigger fish.  And, the bigger fish were gobbling up the best recruits - FSU, Florida, Miami, and every SEC and ACC school you can name.  Yet, he got them bowl eligible twice, with a from scratch program and whatever table scrap recruits he could muster.

Miami could do much worse than hiring Cristobal.  Far worse.  Also, if he didn't have coaching talent, he would not be on Nick Saban's coaching staff.  He's an excellent coach, well respected among his peer, and grad of The U.  They'll do well to hire him - before UCF, Auburn, South Carolina, or someone else does.

I do a search for "Miami football fights" on youtube, of course I get the famous FIU brawl.  And who, might I ask was the coach of that Miami team that was kicking players in the head and body slamming?  None other than your favorite UTSA coach and mine, Larry Coker.

Yep, and if I remember correctly, that was pre-Cristobal with Don Strock leading the Panthers.

Miami (FL): The Miami Herald reports that UM officials are under the impression that Charlie Strong and Tommy Tuberville could have interest in the Miami job. The paper also reports that there have not been conversations between reps of the school and Alabama offensive line coach Mario Cristobal, despite a report, and Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula will not pursue the job. Additionally, Butch Davis is getting a “fresh look.” When asked about the Miami job last week, Tuberville said, “I’m good” at Cincinnati.

Miami (FL): The Miami Herald reports that UM officials are under the impression that Charlie Strong and Tommy Tuberville could have interest in the Miami job. The paper also reports that there have not been conversations between reps of the school and Alabama offensive line coach Mario Cristobal, despite a report, and Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula will not pursue the job. Additionally, Butch Davis is getting a “fresh look.” When asked about the Miami job last week, Tuberville said, “I’m good” at Cincinnati.

Serious question here but what is the draw for Charlie Strong? I realize he coached in the state of Florida for most of his career and he really knows the recruiting landscape well there but what is HIS draw to the team. He didn't play there. He didn't grow up there. He's never coached at Miami. Are we talking about a money whip to get him there? He makes $5 million at UT and has unlimited resources in terms of funds and recruiting. So what would Miami have to offer to lure him from UT? Is he concerned that he has worn out his welcome already in Austin and wants to get out?

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

Serious question here but what is the draw for Charlie Strong? I realize he coached in the state of Florida for most of his career and he really knows the recruiting landscape well there but what is HIS draw to the team. He didn't play there. He didn't grow up there. He's never coached at Miami. Are we talking about a money whip to get him there? He makes $5 million at UT and has unlimited resources in terms of funds and recruiting. So what would Miami have to offer to lure him from UT? Is he concerned that he has worn out his welcome already in Austin and wants to get out?

I suspect that, in a word, context.

The AD who hired Strong is gone after a brief but public feud with the new President. Strong won't be the new AD's guy and he isn't the new President's guy.

Combine that context with the unrealistic expectations the fan base has of whomever is head coach of the Horns, and I'd probably want out, too. 

• Upvote 1

I suspect that, in a word, context.

The AD who hired Strong is gone after a brief but public feud with the new President. Strong won't be the new AD's guy and he isn't the new President's guy.

Combine that context with the unrealistic expectations the fan base has of whomever is head coach of the Horns, and I'd probably want out, too. 

So if he sees the writing on the wall and REALLY wants out, how much of a pay-cut does he take? Golden was making $2.3 million a year. Is Miami willing to more than double that for a coach that is 10-12 at UT? Granted he is 47-28 overall including Louisville but that may be a hard sell for the Miami AD in a what have you done for me lately world.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

I do a search for "Miami football fights" on youtube, of course I get the famous FIU brawl.  And who, might I ask was the coach of that Miami team that was kicking players in the head and body slamming?  None other than your favorite UTSA coach and mine, Larry Coker.

that was one week after the 7OT game in Denton!

Charlie needs to get out while the getting out is good.  My Longhorn diehard friends have never shown a true embrace of him and with their current development I can only imagine he realizes that it is coming to an end soon.  If he could get a Miami to take him he would be very smart to go with his current reputation in tact.  

GMG

• Upvote 1

Miami will either go with Butch Davis again or Mario Cristobal. I actually think Cristobal will get this job. He'd be a great pick, too. A former Hurricane player, turned FIU around from worst FBS team to a bowl winner in just 3 years, and has all of that experience at Alabama as the OL coach, where he coaches NFL linemen every week.

Miami, though, needs to do something even more dynamic for their program. They need to build a stadium on campus or find something closer than humongous Dolphins Stadium. Its not as if they don't get enough $$$ from being in the ACC and getting P5 TV and bowl money.

Miami is one place that the right hire could springboard them to national champion contender, due to close talent, NFL history, and conference affiliation. Cristobal would be a great hire to connect all of that together.

It's impressive to me because they were, essentially, in the same boat as us:  the little fish in a big pond where bigger fish.  And, the bigger fish were gobbling up the best recruits - FSU, Florida, Miami, and every SEC and ACC school you can name.  Yet, he got them bowl eligible twice, with a from scratch program and whatever table scrap recruits he could muster.

Miami could do much worse than hiring Cristobal.  Far worse.  Also, if he didn't have coaching talent, he would not be on Nick Saban's coaching staff.  He's an excellent coach, well respected among his peer, and grad of The U.  They'll do well to hire him - before UCF, Auburn, South Carolina, or someone else does.

Cristobal  led  FIU  to an overall record of 27-47,  and 3-9  in his  last year.after an 8-5 bowl season.

McCarney led UNT to an overall record of 22-32, and 4-13 in his last  year+ after a 9-4 bowl season.

By that standard Miami should hire McCarney.  

I think either would be an excellent acquisition for Miami.   

I hate Miami.