The case for coach Canales

ABrownGMG

Anyone know off hand why he left a successful OC gig at South Florida to be a QB coach at NC State?  Seems like a bit of a downward move, since not many position coaches even at bigger schools were bringing in the big bucks back then. I'm guessing he saw advancement potential there.

3 word answer, Osbourne, Berglund, Greer.  Good man, wish him the best and hope he wins out ---but how people can even fathom to make this case baffles me.  Slow news day is my best guess.

I don't in the least bit understand what your problem is with Ozzy, but I coached that kid for two years, and he could play. He wasn't better than DT, I'm sorry that you people have some bias against DT, but he was a great leader with an extremely high football IQ and made plays when he needed to. And oh ya, he led us to our SECOND EVER bowl win and was the MVP. I know you all think you are football experts, but you're not. I know Andy Mac played over Ozzy, but only one person wanted that.....and it wasn't Chico. 

The other two kids were not recruited by Canales. And again, Kent Riddle pushed for Berglund, Chico didn't want him. And guess what, Riddle's evaluation was poor and Berglund was all hype, and the most arrogant person on the planet to boot. Chico didn't want Greer coming out of high school, I can't imagine he wanted him the second time.

When Canales came in, Riley was firmly entrenched as the starter. DT wasn't even part of the QB meetings, he sat in the back of the room while TD sat with Tune and Riley. Chico identified DT as the guy, and guess what, he was the guy. 

Edited by eoj221
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

3 word answer, Osbourne, Berglund, Greer.  Good man, wish him the best and hope he wins out ---but how people can even fathom to make this case baffles me.  Slow news day is my best guess.

Osborne was a good QB. I saw what he did at Alabama only to get pulled after taking the team to the red zone and replaced by a freshman who was the kid of mac's friend. Also, saw how Osborne got screwed in Tulsa when mac started freshman Macnulty over Osborne. Macnulty threw two early picks for 12 points but Osborne didn't see the field until late in the game and still managed to score two or was it three TD's. If I was Osborne I would have been pissed. No one was going play in front of Macnulty as long as mac was coach. Period. That should be obvious to all by now. Even if it meant destroying the program.  I believe that Williams and Berglund knew that and lost interest. Again, what mac did was despicable. Remember Canales was not hired by mac and was basically forced on him. I bet that was a tough place to be in for Canales.

Our new head coach is sitting right in front of us and once again we are going to screw things up because we need someone with a name.

You FIRE RV and you HIRE Canales.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Never say never.   

What if the current players finish strong and disciplined under Chico ?     What if our top 5 or 6 candidates are not attainable ?    If those things happen, Chico should at least be considered an option.  He really seems to love it here and I have never heard him complain about the fans, how hard it is to recruit here (false), etc.

Besides, we need more third person coach speak !

I have my own personal list of coaches that I would like to see here.    But, I don't want to see Chico written off completely.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3

Isn't it great that Chico isn't campaigning for the job...

Not as great as it is that you have absolutely no say in anything that happens at this university....no matter how many immature and tasteless banners you fly :) you petulant, little child.

Edited by eoj221
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 10

Osborne was a good QB. I saw what he did at Alabama only to get pulled after taking the team to the red zone and replaced by a freshman who was the kid of mac's friend. Also, saw how Osborne got screwed in Tulsa when mac started freshman Macnulty over Osborne. Macnulty threw two early picks for 12 points but Osborne didn't see the field until late in the game and still managed to score two or was it three TD's. If I was Osborne I would have been pissed. No one was going play in front of Macnulty as long as mac was coach. Period. That should be obvious to all by now. Even if it meant destroying the program.  I believe that Williams and Berglund knew that and lost interest. Again, what mac did was despicable. Remember Canales was not hired by mac and was basically forced on him. I bet that was a tough place to be in for Canales.

Our new head coach is sitting right in front of us and once again we are going to screw things up because we need someone with a name.

Good lord, man. You gets standards on one thing then lose your mind on something else. 

Chico isn't going to be and shouldn't be head coach at UNT.

Not as great as it is that you have absolutely no say in anything that happens at this university....no matter how many immature and tasteless banners you fly :) you petulant, little child.

18 posts in and already resorting to name calling and championing Chico.

18 posts.

Are you related? 

I miss the ignore button

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

I don't in the least bit understand what your problem is with Ozzy, but I coached that kid for two years, and he could play. He wasn't better than DT, I'm sorry that you people have some bias against DT, but he was a great leader with an extremely high football IQ and made plays when he needed to.

Harry never said he couldn't play. The point is that we signed 10 QBs while Canales was here (Teagarden, Jones, Mcnulty, Osborn, Williams, Berglund, Means, Greer, Chumley, Smith), and those guys have combined for 5 wins. Those three Harry mentioned have combined for 1 win, and it was Greer against SMU in a game where he only threw 12 passes. 

He didn't say they sucked, or anything like that. But when the 10 QBs you sign have 5 wins combined, and you're in year 6 as OC/QB coach, you have not done your job adequately. A huge part of that is on Mac too, but that's why he's gone, and Canales is going to follow him shortly. It was Chico's offense, he had to find his guy, and he never did.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

As I have said before I was a GA for two years here, with Mac and Dodge. No, I'm not related.

I was a walk on here for three years, I am alum of this university and I coached here for two years. I'm sorry that I am a football coach and actually know what a good football coach looks like.

whats the deal with means?  I know there was a 3* qb interested in UNT in 2014.  Had a lot of offers too.

A lot of truth there. I have slightly mixed feelings about Canales, but the scariest thing to me is that we're going to hire another "name" coach from somewhere on the either side of the country, whose primary reason for being here is all about six figures a year heading into retirement. Either that or a stepping stone current coordinator who will maybe get us to .500 in three years and then be gone. Tough choices here, but if Chico is to be considered they should get it done sooner rather than later. That is assuming of course that he is not 100% out of the mix. Hard to believe he would not want the job unless he has big plans elsewhere. We'll see how we do over the next rough two and a half weeks.

• Upvote 4

As I have said before I was a GA for two years here, with Mac and Dodge. No, I'm not related.

I was a walk on here for three years, I am alum of this university and I coached here for two years. I'm sorry that I am a football coach and actually know what a good football coach looks like.

And I will champion that man any time, any place. I would run full speed, head first into a brick wall over and over for that man. He is without comparison the greatest football coach, and man, that I have ever met. So if you dislike the fact that I have all the respect in the world for that man, I'm sorry that you feel that way.

Nope. We all feel that way for people we are close with, don't we?

Continue your campaign.

Name calling someone who has a different opinion than you is a sign of immaturity, just so you know.

Try and be a bit more civil to those that support this program with their hard earned dollars.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Harry never said he couldn't play. The point is that we signed 10 QBs while Canales was here (Teagarden, Jones, Mcnulty, Osborn, Williams, Berglund, Means, Greer, Chumley, Smith), and those guys have combined for 5 wins. Those three Harry mentioned have combined for 1 win, and it was Greer against SMU in a game where he only threw 12 passes. 

He didn't say they sucked, or anything like that. But when the 10 QBs you sign have 5 wins combined, and you're in year 6 as OC/QB coach, you have not done your job adequately. A huge part of that is on Mac too, but that's why he's gone, and Canales is going to follow him shortly. It was Chico's offense, he had to find his guy, and he never did.

Teegarden wasn't recruited to play QB, he was recruited as an athlete. It was deemed best that he play at receiver. Andy Mac and Coop competed to see who would stay at QB and who would switch positions, guess who won that battle? 

Williams wasn't given a real chance, but he mostly did that to himself. Chumley isn't a QB, he's a TE. Just because you play QB in high school, doesn't mean that's what you are. And Means is a freshmen, I wouldn't count out that kid being the real deal at some point.

Edited by eoj221
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1