Thank you Coach Chico!

Harry

For one, I appreciate a person that has the personal responsibility and character to work at succeeding when he knows he is a lame duck.  Chico could very easily mail it in, but he doesn't and doesn't allow the players to do so either.  I also don't mind someone that goes after somethimg they want, ot campaigning, as one poster puts it.  That is a great example to the young men on the team.

Saying you are not going to do something and then turning around and doing that exact thing is a "great example?"

Im glad UNT won. I'm glad the players have a huge monkey off their back. Chico can celebrate it up and give out game balls to every business in town.

As long as he is out in 4 weeks.

Can't we just celebrate a win?

This, let's just enjoy a win without trying to anoint anyone the next Mean Green savior.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

He won't be here after this season.  No reason to debate it.  That said, this, right here, answers my questions upon whose shoulders the stubborn run up the middle every freaking play resided.

qbaUrrW.gif 

McCarney would never, ever have let Chico call that play.

Totally agree. I haven't seen a play like that since the early days of Hayden Fry's tenure here. Thanks for posting it!

• Upvote 3

Who has called for Chico to be head coach?  I missed that thread.  All I see are people showing appreciation for an improved team the last three games and the avoidance of a certain 0-12 season if the other guy was still head coach.  I'll state one more time: He may have been the best option at head coach after Dodge.  It would be ridiculous to hire him now, but I don't know that it would have been five years ago and neither do you.

Check the board now, my friend. One victory over a terrible team, and some people are ready to hand him the job.

It really is similiar to battered spouse syndrome. 

It seems like the win isn't being received well by some.  I find that...curious.

Lol. Winning?

We are 1-7.

this place...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

alright haters here i go...........we have a head coach already give him a two year contract and see where it goes. UNT you don't need to post I know what you will say.  Fire fire the band the cheerleaders and fans, rv and all coaches. Gotta it.

Someone else said this, but I'm going to steal it:
"If you don't trust a coach enough to only give him 2 years, you don't trust him."

I keep seeing different posts of people saying, "give Chico a 1-yr or 2-yr contract and see what he does!"

This is the dumbest idea.  If you think recruiting is bad now, wait until you try and recruit with a brand new H.C. who only has a 1 or 2 year deal.

I just don't understand.   This knee-jerk is really really bad y'all.

• Upvote 1

We finally get a win...SMU lost AND the horns got blanked by Iowa State

Happy Halloween

Maybe we can all meet in the Sack & Save parking lot after the season and settle this Bottom 10 thing once and for all.

Someone else said this, but I'm going to steal it:"If you don't trust a coach enough to only give him 2 years, you don't trust him."

I keep seeing different posts of people saying, "give Chico a 1-yr or 2-yr contract and see what he does!"

This is the dumbest idea.  If you think recruiting is bad now, wait until you try and recruit with a brand new H.C. who only has a 1 or 2 year deal.

I just don't understand.   This knee-jerk is really really bad y'all.

If we fully trusted any coach that we bring in around here we could easily win an insanity plea.  

High school kids don't think past tomorrow.  I deal with a lot of them and very few are looking past the weekend.

We're talking about FBS recruits that have to choose where to sign a contract that gives them a free education, opportunities to be seen on national TV, and a future football family.

I think they take a little bit more seriously than their weekend homework.

• Upvote 2

We're talking about FBS recruits that have to choose where to sign a contract that gives them a free education, opportunities to be seen on national TV, and a future football family.
I think they take a little bit more seriously than their weekend homework.

Flashback to a Dodge tangent article from 8 years ago: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3118401&sportCat=ncf

Yost believed that, which is why Missouri was the first school to offer Daniel a scholarship. The Mizzou coaches had gotten to know Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge, and had even invited the spread-offense guru to Columbia to speak at their clinic and help them implement the offense. Dodge, now the head coach at North Texas, raved on Daniel. (The two remain close and speak by phone before every Missouri game.)

Daniel didn't accept the offer when it came via mail, but during the summer before his senior season his family visited some of the top schools on Chase's list: Missouri, Duke and Stanford. Bill Daniel favored Stanford because of the academics, but Chase accurately predicted that coach Buddy Teevens was going to get fired.

After visiting Missouri and hearing all the right answers about how he would fit in the offense, Daniel committed. That was despite the presence of then-starter Brad Smith, who would go on to be the most productive run-pass quarterback in Missouri history, and redshirt Chase Patton, a top-15 prospect who played right there in Columbia, Mo.

Check the board now, my friend. One victory over a terrible team, and some people are ready to hand him the job.

Odd that it was a somewhat delayed knee jerk reaction.  When I posted it on Saturday night I don't think anyone had mentioned offering him the job, but you are correct, there are numerous examples of it now.  I like Canales and truly appreciate what he has done as interim coach (twice), but the timing just isn't right for him to be our next head coach.  Now, make it competitive against LaTech, don't get embarrassed at UT, and beat MTSU and UTEP and I might change my mind.

Odd that it was a somewhat delayed knee jerk reaction.  When I posted it on Saturday night I don't think anyone had mentioned offering him the job, but you are correct, there are numerous examples of it now.  I like Canales and truly appreciate what he has done as interim coach (twice), but the timing just isn't right for him to be our next head coach.  Now, make it competitive against LaTech, don't get embarrassed at UT, and beat MTSU and UTEP run the table, and I might change my mind.

Fixed?   That's really about all that should get him into the conversation.   You're talking about the team doing what they're supposed to do...  what should be expected of a poor team (keep it competitive VS good teams and beat very bad teams).   That cannot be our standard.

• Upvote 2

It agree that it shouldn't be our standard in the future, but this year I think keeping it competitive (lose by 10 or less) when we are a 30 point underdog would be a fairly high expectation.  Also, I have yet to see anyone say that they think we'll beat MTSU, so I think that would be pretty good.  Obviously we're not beating Tennessee, so make a good showing there.  I just think for a team that started off 0-6 and got beat by at least 14 in all six of those losses, my scenario would be over-achieving for this team..

Lol. Winning?

We are 1-7.

this place...

"Battered North Texas Syndrome" we are 1-7 and beat a nUTSAck team that

A.We have finally beat and got our revenge for the last two let downs against them (makes it a more emotional win)

B. They suck this year like us.

Chico did a good job, but he has to do better against LA Tech, MTSU, and UTEP (Tennessee is a pass). I'm listening to 90 this time, This thread could be seen in 2 years like the Dan McCarney extension thread. And we'll all have to kick rocks as we see UNT90 predict the future once again!

Edited by GreenTexan13

"Battered North Texas Syndrome" we are 1-7 and beat a nUTSAck team that

A.We have finally beat and got our revenge for the last two let downs against them

B. They suck this year like us.

Chico did a good job, but he has to do better against LA Tech and UTEP (Tennessee is a pass). I'm listening to 90 this time, This thread could be seen in 2 years like the Dan McCarney extension thread. And we'll all have to kick rocks as we see UNT90 predict the future once again!

Easy.  You are going to give UNT90 a big head.  er.  bigger head.