Hey RV!!!

DeepGreen

Personally, as I have stars many times, would put eliminating the paycheck game at the top of the todo list so we could have 4 active H/H series going at a time. 

RV had scheduled a few FCS games to appease the coach and the fans, but had not scheduled out through 2020. 

Then there was a huge uproar about the 5 game schedule and how there would likely be more 5 game schedules in the future so RV's response was to schedule FCS games out through 2020. Great. 

Ok--this is ludicrous. It's not the fans fault for wanting another home game every so often against a team they have heard of before.

what you are advocating is akin to a guy who has an illness and needs prescriptions to get better, but instead he loads up Children's multivitamins instead because it was just easier to get to it than actually planning a visit to the pharmacy or Doctor. No matter what, that patient ain't getting better anytime soon...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That was a pretty pathetic showing for a U of H team that had a heisman trophy candidate and had beaten UCLA the week before.  But yeah I get your point.

The truth is, we have not had one big time fan supported program in Apogee since it was opened.  That, along with our record is the primary reason we have not had a sellout.

Our stadium seats 30k.  We should be able to sell it out on our own.  The opener was a bit of a embarrassment in that regards but not unexpected.  We pretty much suck year in and year out so that does not exactly create a large fan base.

Seems to me that RV would rather not schedule the FCS games, but between his coach and the fans on this very board screaming about 5 game schedules, he was backed into a corner.  

So...congrats to the schedule Nazis. You and Mac asked for this. 

Nice excuse! You should see if RV is hiring assistant ADs. 

UTSA has a home game with Arizona State in 2016 and Baylor in 2018.

UTEP has a home game with Arizona in 2017 and Texas Tech in 2020.

Rice has a home game with Baylor in 2016, Stanford in 2017, and Texas A&M and Wake Forest in 2018.

We have a home game with Bethune-Cookman in 2016, Army and Lamar in 2017 and Incarnate Word in 2018.

RV has been a total failure at bringing well-known OOC opponents into Apogee. He promised big to get students to pony up millions and didn't deliver. The caliber of opponents we're getting are no better than they were in Fouts.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

The caliber of opponents we're getting are no better than they were in Fouts.

Actually worse. We actually hosted Kansas St last year of Fouts. Only P5 to play in Apogee was a 1-11 Indiana in the first year of the stadium.  

Worst thing RV does. Worse than hiring coaches.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nice excuse! You should see if RV is hiring assistant ADs. 

UTSA has a home game with Arizona State in 2016 and Baylor in 2018.

UTEP has a home game with Arizona in 2017 and Texas Tech in 2020.

Rice has a home game with Baylor in 2016, Stanford in 2017, and Texas A&M and Wake Forest in 2018.

We have a home game with Bethune-Cookman in 2016, Army and Lamar in 2017 and Incarnate Word in 2018.

RV has been a total failure at bringing well-known OOC opponents into Apogee. He promised big to get students to pony up millions and didn't deliver. The caliber of opponents we're getting are no better than they were in Fouts.

LET THEM EAT CAKE!

220px-Marie-Antoinette%2C_1775_-_Mus%C3%

• Upvote 1

Of course another option might be to skip the FCS game and instead schedule H\H with another solid G5 or even P5, but that would mean occasional 5 game home schedules. 

As I have said many, many times. The root of our scheduling woes (IMO) is the paycheck game, not the FCS game. 

The FCS game is simply an effect, not the cause. Shift your angst to the true root of the problem. 

Edit: and also as I have said many times, I am perfectly fine with the RV era coming to an end. 

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 1

Of course another option might be to skip the FCS game and instead schedule H\H with another solid G5 or even P5, but that would mean occasional 5 game home schedules. 

As I have said many, many times. The root of our scheduling woes (IMO) is the paycheck game, not the FCS game. 

The FCS game is simply an effect, not the cause. Shift your angst to the true root of the problem. 

Edit: and also as I have said many times, I am perfectly fine with the RV era coming to an end. 

Shift my angst? Why do you think I call it a whore game and have for a couple of years. You are a little late to this game, my friend, and have shown in previous posts that you come completely uneduacated about the past.

And if you have a problem with the whore game, you have a problem with RV, who said this year on a podcast with Harry that he (RV) prefers to play the whore game for the money and would rather play a P5 on the road than at home.

Basically, he would rather do something that makes his job easier than make a win more realistic for UNT athletes.

Reason number 1427 why he should be fired. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am a little late to the game also....can you go through the first 1426 reasons again?

GMG

RV sucks X 1425...

Keep in mind if we were able to schedule a one and one with a P5 like Ark. St., ULL, and many others, that would also help the problem.

But that would mean that RV would actually have to work at filling Apogee to make up the lost money.

And that cuts into golf time with the 17.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NICE TRY mike.  The only time rick has played golf in 6 months was because westheimer wanted to play with trip kuehne who had just written a check to COMPLETELY PAY CASH FOR A GOLF PRACTICE FACILITY 

would you care to comment on the rest of his post?

• Upvote 1

UNT90 is dead-on about the scheduling. I made the decision years ago that if we scheduled a FCS game at Apogee, I wasn't going. Those games don't help our program one bit...Texas Southern didn't and Nicholls State sure as hell didn't. But, now, with the worst loss in modern college football history to FCS Portland State on our Homecoming as our only home OOC game, that bomb detonated and made us the laughingstock of college football. You can lose a FCS game by less than a TD--you can't lose to one by more than this, much less by damn near 60 points. The point is that we should have never played any of them--none. But, instead, the few remaining fans get to look forward to great OOC home games against Bethune-Cookman, Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian, to go along with SMU and Army, two of the absolute dregs of FBS college football.

Scheduling is the absolute worst thing we have done here...we haven't given any non-diehard UNT fans an opponent to draw their interest to come and watch us play in a great facility. Basically, the best team we have hosted here to garner any decent interest was Houston, who opened the stadium. A team we hosted at Fouts--very easily, I might add--just like every other OOC game we have played in Denton since we built this great facility.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

would you care to comment on the rest of his post?

Why?  The usual suspects would just come on here and complain about the job the folks in athletics, led by RV, did in acquiring the donations to make this happen.  And, the great job they did in deciding to move the facility to a different location in order to capitalize on a much better situation for UNT and its golf teams. And, of course, they would bad mouth the so-called "17" who are collectively and individually helping so much with programs and facilities these days.  

Just FYI...this will be a fantastic facility for our golf program and will be a big boost for recruiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Like I have mentioned before, I love the facilities, and am grateful for them and the people that effectively paid for it.

But there is only so much you can build. He's made his mark through creating an infrastructure that was non-existent. Gives him UNT AD HOF eligibility right off the bat, because before there was nothing. Now we need someone to step up and fill that infrastructure with the right personnel and winning revenue teams.

I never see any of the supporters comment or at least tell us how they feel about

• MGC target goals (revenue) vis a vis getting the X-billion alum living in DFW to literally buy into athletics
  • Season ticket sales (revenue)
  • General ticket sales (revenue)
  • Entertainment events (revenue)
  • Selling out the stadium (revenue)
  • Being the worst fundraising school in CUSA in 2013 (revenue, although I'm cheating here as this includes season ticket sales mention previously)
  • Poor Big 3 coaching record (revenue), which now includes:
  • Bottom-level FBS team
  • Ranked 250+ men's bball team
  • Bottom-level women's bball team

The conversation is always turned back to infrastructure, and the money garnered for infrastructure, and told to enjoy what we have. Which is fair to an extent. But we are a big school now, and we deserve more accountability. People are paying attention now.

Put another way, Villareal put the big boy pants on us. Now that we realize what our potential could be at North Texas, we need someone that can take us the rest of the way.

To put it succinctly, the job has outgrown his abilities. He has kept on doing what he does best but the position requires more than he can offer.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This just highlights how bad RV is at scheduling. His shit schedules and running fans away hurts this program's recruiting as much as Mac's unfortunate failures. 

The bodybag game followed by FCS game formula is a massive failure for our school, the program, fan support, student support, and recruiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RV has done a terrible job at home and home with similar conference, AAC or power 5 teams; we have to start bring those teams to Apogee. Our fans want to see it and should be very attainable. RV can't negotiate or doesn't try. We need a marquee game every year; SMU at home is a good one, but we should play U of H every year for sure, good rivalry and similar university and yes, we need Texas State in C-USA as well. 

• Upvote 1

NICE TRY mike.  The only time rick has played golf in 6 months was because westheimer wanted to play with trip kuehne who had just written a check to COMPLETELY PAY CASH FOR A GOLF PRACTICE FACILITY 

Cool. One RV criticism has been answered.

How about explaining why RV is bringing Bethune-Cookman and Incarnate Word to Apogee while our in-state CUSA rivals are getting Arizona State, Arizona, Texas Tech, Stanford and Houston?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

That was a pretty pathetic showing for a U of H team that had a heisman trophy candidate and had beaten UCLA the week before.  But yeah I get your point.

The truth is, we have not had one big time fan supported program in Apogee since it was opened.  That, along with our record is the primary reason we have not had a sellout.

For clarification, are you saying that was a poor showing by UH fans, UNT fans, or both?  I thought it was pretty decent attendance by UH fans considering there is not much of a history or rivalry between the 2 schools.  Quite a bit of red in this photo.  (So creepy how my head is chopped off on the photo when I zoom in) 

Guys, Memphis was just looking at the great PR they will get by playing a game in a huge market that will attract tons of viewers and the attention of recruits...oh wait...

My stance against watching FCS opponents saved me this year a ton of heartbreak by not seeing Portland State murder us on Homecoming. If we had lost like that against a Memphis or Houston, most people would have understood that they are teams that are just way farther ahead than we are, but it also might have kept McCarney as the head coach, so maybe RV is a genius for scheduling Liberty, Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian in the future...he can use those games as "fireable" events for the next head coach if we get clobbered again. After all, you gotta have standards...

Baylor has Liberty scheduled for 2017. 

Houston has Lamar for 2016, although our AD has said we will do our best to no longer schedule FCS school.