Matt Campbell

gangrene

For No. 20 Toledo and Matt Campbell, little things lead to big success

“I got a sheet of paper and wrote three words down,” he said. “Recruit, retain, develop.”

This guys needs to be interviewed.  He doesn't have Texas ties, but he's young, energetic, affordable (for now) and he wins. Toledo is ranked #20? Really?

I'm sure he'll get scooped up by a P5 school but he most definitely fits the profile of what UNT needs in our next coach.

• Upvote 1

He was my pick on a thread a week ago. I like Matt Campbell, and I think he would make a great coach here.

Matt Campbell - $495,000

Dan McCarney - $720,000

Cheaper, younger and has better record in the last 4 years than the 62 year old grandpa.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

^ this is exactly why I think he would come coach here. He would have significant salary increase if he left Toledo for North Texas. Plus I think he would be here for a couple years benefiting our program before a P5 scoops him up.

He was my pick on a thread a week ago. I like Matt Campbell, and I think he would make a great coach here.

^ this is exactly why I think he would come coach here. He would have significant salary increase if he left Toledo for North Texas. Plus I think he would be here for a couple years benefiting our program before a P5 scoops him up.

Yeah, he'd benefit our program, but what in our history indicates that we'd benefit his coaching career?

Money is the only reason he would come, but he would probably be making a lot less in 5-10 years if he came.

Yeah, he'd benefit our program, but what in our history indicates that we'd benefit his coaching career?

Money is the only reason he would come, but he would probably be making a lot less in 5-10 years if he came.

(IMO) better conference to coach in, obviously better salary, in a recruiting hot bed (which wasn't utilized by Mac). Thats all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

But you're right, UNT has kind of established itself as a coaching graveyard. He would have to be willing to come here with full confidence that he can turn this thing around and actually produce results.

• Upvote 1

This fan base is frustrating.  We think we're too good for an old guy with multiple national championship appearances and Texas ties, yet we don't think we're appealing enough to lure a young, up-and-coming coach away from a $475K salary and the MAC. 

Does everyone need to be reminded who our top 3 candidates were back in 2006?

footballscoop says it is down to 3

Let the naysayers start the excuses for why the two we didn't hire from that list would have never come here in the first place.

I'm sure we'd find a way to turn down Bear Bryant in his prime.

This fan base is frustrating.  We think we're too good for an old guy with multiple national championship appearances and Texas ties, yet we don't think we're appealing enough to lure a young, up-and-coming coach away from a $475K salary and the MAC. 

Does everyone need to be reminded who our top 3 candidates were back in 2006?

footballscoop says it is down to 3

Let the naysayers start the excuses for why the two we didn't hire from that list would have never come here in the first place.

I'm sure we'd find a way to turn down Bear Bryant in his prime.

Let me suggest that it isn't that we are too good for him but that he is too good for us.  Toledo would match anything we threw at him.  Combine that with obvious great expectations that fans of college sports have for this guy and you will see why it is pointless to mention his very name as a candidate for North Texas.

I can do one better though too....

This guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Campbell_(American_football_coach) is perfectly groomed to be a coach in the OHIO area.  

HE HAS ZERO EXPERIENCE outside of Ohio.  From birth to current job he has been in Ohio.  Played in Ohio.... GA'ed in Ohio...... Coached in Ohio.

Teams like Cincinnati and eventually Ohio State need to look at guys like Matt Campbell........ not teams like North Texas.

Move him out of everything he has built up (ties, reputation among athletes etc..) and I can almost guarantee that you clip him.

Are you serious?  You do know that Harbaugh went right from his North Texas interview to his Stanford interview, who offered him the job there, right? 

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Matt Campbell will parlay this Toledo run into a much better job at a P5 school most likely. He is in a position where he can be choosey.

This guy will have a B1G job in 2016--Someone will hire him away from Toledo to go to a place like Illinois.

We need to really look at someone who wants to be a head coach and has had success recruiting Texas kids while having some success at stops along the way that aren't all P5 giants as their only places that have shown achievement.

That said, if RV is doing the hiring, we are getting a name candidate that people have heard of as an assistant at a Big XII or SEC school, but have no clue how to handle the cultural issues that surrounds this place. Until the day I die, I'll be forever convinced that McCarney either had no idea how difficult it was going to be here to get support he thought he would get or he flat out ignored the warnings he was given before taking the job. Either way, it eventually crashed down because of the realities of the UNT culture of apathy. Benford has had no idea how to deal with it over at the Super Pit and I doubt he ever had any experience in dealing with this kind of situation at Texas Tech or Marquette. Whoever RV hires will probably be the exact same way that Benford has been, just hiring him because people will have heard of him from a run at the P5 school he will most likely come from.

It took 2 established Coaching Legends in back to back tenures to get South Carolina to live up to its potential.  South Carolina has a ton more positive FBS history to draw upon during its ascension to its potential.  Why does any UNT fan think it is going to be easier here.  If we can't get an established coaching legend then it is a total wash here.  This is a coaching graveyard.  If we luck upon a genius who can win with inferior talent for 3 years when the upgrade in recruits from his second season start seeing playing time that is a possibility.  You have an empty palace in Denton in more ways than one.

This guy will have a B1G job in 2016--Someone will hire him away from Toledo to go to a place like Illinois.

We need to really look at someone who wants to be a head coach and has had success recruiting Texas kids while having some success at stops along the way that aren't all P5 giants as their only places that have shown achievement.

That said, if RV is doing the hiring, we are getting a name candidate that people have heard of as an assistant at a Big XII or SEC school, but have no clue how to handle the cultural issues that surrounds this place. Until the day I die, I'll be forever convinced that McCarney either had no idea how difficult it was going to be here to get support he thought he would get or he flat out ignored the warnings he was given before taking the job. Either way, it eventually crashed down because of the realities of the UNT culture of apathy. Benford has had no idea how to deal with it over at the Super Pit and I doubt he ever had any experience in dealing with this kind of situation at Texas Tech or Marquette. Whoever RV hires will probably be the exact same way that Benford has been, just hiring him because people will have heard of him from a run at the P5 school he will most likely come from.

On the surface they may look the same, but I don't think Benford's struggles are that similar to McCarney's.