GMG Soccer Classic -- Idea

aztecskin

That's awesome. I know @KRAM does most of the organizing for the other stuff, but we can give the guy a break from the action on this. Haha. 

I'm thinking May would be best, the season's over, the weather should be nice and there is Champions League soccer on TV to get everyone in the mood to play. 

• Upvote 2

not to derail this idea, but when we did softball a couple years ago, that was AWESOME!  everyone can play softball or just stand in the outfield...pretty much zero chances of getting hurt...and it's gonna be pretty hard to play soccer with a beer...

• Upvote 1

Awesome. @Thor -- trust me, you can play with a beer on the sidelines. I played in a couple of beer leagues and they are fun. I figure we'd do this Sports and Social Club style --

8 a side -- Coed, going long ways on half the field (so sideline to sideline of a half-field), with unlimited substitutions. 22 minute halves. 

Awesome. @Thor -- trust me, you can play with a beer on the sidelines. I played in a couple of beer leagues and they are fun. I figure we'd do this Sports and Social Club style --

8 a side -- Coed, going long ways on half the field (so sideline to sideline of a half-field), with unlimited substitutions. 22 minute halves. 

Depending on how many sign up you might consider playing with full sides and on a regular field. Also a thought would be to go with the North Texas coed rule of no slide tackles.

I assume fund raised would be for the scholarship fund in the name of Mean Green Soccer?

ETA:

Maybe some of the girls who recently finish their eligibility to come out too. Make the half time fundraiser pot for most shots made from half field or (if she's up for it) see who can score the most goals on Jackie Kerestine from the top of the penalty arc maybe? I assume someone will finally get one past her eventually. 

Edited by Army of Dad

1. Depending on how many sign up you might consider playing with full sides and on a regular field. Also a thought would be to go with the North Texas coed rule of no slide tackles.

2. I assume fund raised would be for the scholarship fund in the name of Mean Green Soccer?

ETA:

3. Maybe some of the girls who recently finish their eligibility to come out too. Make the half time fundraiser pot for most shots made from half field or (if she's up for it) see who can score the most goals on Jackie Kerestine from the top of the penalty arc maybe? I assume someone will finally get one past her eventually. 

1. Although it would be cool to have the full-field, I think this way allows those with lower fitness levels a chance to play more of a major part without having to cover so much ground, a slightly higher chance of scoring, and a bit easier to manage with one ref. This is not set in stone right now, just my preference considering the people I know that would be willing to play etc. We'll revisit this later, though.

2. Yes, that's the idea. 

3. I think we might be able to get one or two, and definitely one or two alumni who are a more than a year or two out. This is why i'm thinking 1. above would be ideal. Again, this is all up in the air.

Great feedback! 

• Upvote 2

The funds raised would not necessarily need to be for the Soccer ladies.    
Kram puts on the basketball game, fundraising for the cheer squad (who often must travel to competitions and whatnot on their own dime).  These are the kinds of opportunities we should look for to help.

I think that's why @KRAM1 still organizes the basketball game.

the football game proceeds went to the scholarship fund, I think.

In this case I'd assume it would be to support the soccer team, but I don't care which UNT organization it goes to support. I'll still be in to help ref.

Which reminds me, @aztecskin we could do a regular three man ref crew. I'm sure we can find a couple of other to call the game. I know of a couple of alums that have been refs are fairly high levels. (The aforementioned Kram being one of them)  

• Upvote 1

I think that's why @KRAM1 still organizes the basketball game.

the football game proceeds went to the scholarship fund, I think.

In this case I'd assume it would be to support the soccer team, but I don't care which UNT organization it goes to support. I'll still be in to help ref.

Which reminds me, @aztecskin we could do a regular three man ref crew. I'm sure we can find a couple of other to call the game. I know of a couple of alums that have been refs are fairly high levels. (The aforementioned Kram being one of them)  

I would be down to ref.  I could do center or line...no problem if we went with a three man crew.  Or, if only two volunteered we could run the two man diagonal halves.

• Upvote 2