How Easy is the buyout for Rick V?

meanJewGreen

I know Rick has a contract that pays him somewhere in the realm of 300k- is that a one-year contract? If Smastrek pulls the trigger on Rick V, he has to do it now- you know the search firm vultures are coming around and Rick is going to pay another 40k for one... 

Is everyone is agreeance that Rick V should go? Does he have any supporters on here?

Yes, he's built a lot of athletics faciilities, and attendance has grown, but that's mainly due to student growth and enrollment. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I think GMG wants Rick replaced. On a post in one of the Mac threads, flyonthewall supposedly stated RV isn't going anywhere. Rick apparently has a lifetime contract with UNT....

Fly doesn't hire and fire the AD. Fly is simply doing everything possible to protect a friend at this point. It's very admirable. 

Will he be successful? For the good of UNT, I hope not.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I'm not an RV supporter.  I've . Always felt that he was learning on the job.  But. . . He has probably raised more  money for UNT athletics than all  of his predecessors combined.  I suspect this fundraising is what has  even made DM's buy-out possible. 

Assuming we have the money to buy out both (which is unlikely) we would have to start  a national search for AD first so the AD could hire the new coach.  However,  It's imperative that we hire a coach before mid December so as to not further adversely affect recruiting.  As a result, I believe it's in our best interest to leave him in place . . For now.

But - there  should be a hiring committee involving the prez.  Additionally, RV should not be allowed to make the hire on his own and they should not offer a 5 year Contract for the coach. Likewise No more extensions for RV. The president should address his status after the new coach Completes his first season. 

Edited by STE
Changed my mind
  • Upvote 2

That rumor has already been set aside as untrue. Something outrageous doesn't need to be put out there to justify removing RV.

As my sister once said "you don't have to make up stuff about (insert name of sorry person here) the truths bad enough.

Oh good, I'm glad all the people I spoke to were mistaken. That would be.terrible if he had done that. Do you have a link to something showing that has been shown to be untrue? I just looked for 15 minutes and can't find anything. 

Oh good, I'm glad all the people I spoke to were mistaken. That would be.terrible if he had done that. Do you have a link to something showing that has been shown to be untrue? I just looked for 15 minutes and can't find anything. 

I think something like that would have made it to the DRC MGBlog by now.

Once again, all of RV's many inadequacies should be sufficient to at least reassign him from his current duties.

• Upvote 1

I'm not an RV supporter.  I've . Always felt that he was learning on the job.  But. . . He has probably raised more  money for UNT athletics than all  of his predecessors combined.  I suspect this fundraising is what has  even made DM's buy-out possible. 

Assuming we have the money to buy out both (which is unlikely) we would have to start  a national search for AD first so the AD could hire the new coach.  However,  It's imperative that we hire a coach before mid December so as to not further adversely affect recruiting.  As a result, I believe it's in our best interest to leave him in place . . For now.

But - there  should be a hiring committee involving the prez.  Additionally, RV should not be allowed to make the hire on his own and they should not offer a 5 year Contract for the coach. Likewise No more extensions for RV. The president should address his status after the new coach Completes his first season. 

well a school without an AD and with a Interim head coach just kicked our ass.  Maybe it's the way to go.  BTW going after the Portland State head coach was laughed at but you have to be terribly impressed with what he has done in short order. 

• Upvote 3

well a school without an AD and with a Interim head coach just kicked our ass.  Maybe it's the way to go.  BTW going after the Portland State head coach was laughed at but you have to be terribly impressed with what he has done in short order. 

no doubt . . . Impressive.   And if we were to stick with an interim HC then it would make sense to start looking  for an AD but it doesn't sound like they are going to do that. Thought I read that the search for a new HC would start immediately.   Also I heard yesterday on the radio broadcast that PS had 15 D1 transfers into their program.  I know DM was big on transfers but I really hope we are able to build with recruiting.  If so, we will need stability at the AD and HC level. For what it's worth I thought canales did well  with his last interim gig and I'm looking  forward to seeing what he does now.  Likewise he gives us the measure of stability we need during the transition assuming he does  well. 

Edited by STE

People can laugh all they want at hiring Portland State's coach.  He is 2-0 against FBS teams.  What are we against FBS teams?

• Upvote 3

Rick has 16 months left on his contract.  His buyout would be somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$500k.

No doubt in my mind that at this point he just wants to coast out these last 16 months, hopefully announce something on baseball, and then ride off into the sunset.  The problem is that in the next 16 months we are most likely hiring new football AND men's basketball coaches and who in their right mind trusts him to make those hires?

• Upvote 4

No doubt in my mind that at this point he just wants to coast out these last 16 months, hopefully announce something on baseball, and then ride off into the sunset.  The problem is that in the next 16 months we are most likely hiring new football AND men's basketball coaches and who in their right mind trusts him to make those hires?

Do him like Helwig did Matt Simon. Reassign him to some insignificant job and give him a broom closet for an office. See how he likes riding it out there. AND make sure that he is sitting in his cubicle/office putting in 8 hours and not wandering around doing just nothing. 

• Upvote 3

I'd settle for that happily.   Look, as much as I think we need to replace him, he has done a lot to get us out of the dumps Helwig left us in (no tailgating, WTH?).  Just don't think he has the energy or skill set to get us to the next level.   No problem with honoring what he has done.

Sounds great we should do that Monday!