Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

Don't be fooled; that's Tom Herman's offense they're running down there in Houston, not Major Applewhite's. Unless he's bringing Herman with him, no thanks. 

But since I'm here, I'll go ahead and share my thoughts on the topic at hand. There are only three guys who should even be considered for this job: Kendal Briles, Jake Spavital, and Sonny Cumbie, in that order, though I think the last one is the most plausible of the three.

If we absolutely have to look outside those three, then there should be two requirements: 1) be from Texas (for recruiting purposes) AND 2) run the spread (also for recruiting purposes). 

Doesn't it bother you that people are leaving? Maybe everyone else isn't wrong about RV.

I seriously don't even think you can protect him at this point. It has to be done in order for this university to prove to people who aren't close, personal friends with the AD that the university cares even a little about athletics. 

Just a smidge. 

-UNT90

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone reading I want you to divert your energy to doing anything and everything you can to pressure UNT to fire RV.  He has set the program back at least 5 years.   Dan Mac was absolutely the wrong hire for the money they paid him.  If we had hired a cheaper coach that had just a little more success recruiting UNT could be in the position now to hire a top notch coach with the name recognition to help in recruiting.  At this point, to get UNT where it should be we need a NFL coordinator or highly coveted FBS P5 conference school assistant coach.  But with this buyout (thanks to RV) UNT does not have the money for it.  But if we had a good AD this is what could happen.

1. The AD reaches out to the UNT alumni community and states his intention to break the mold and go all in to change the course of the program.  Breaking the mold in this case means hiring the coach no one thinks we can get.  He puts forth a financial vision; we need to raise $10 million to hire the coaching staff that can recruit and coach us to the next level.   This would require a public campaign before the coaches are brought in for official interviews.

2. Once the big name coach is hired the AD campaigns heavily for additional money based on the hire of a head coach that excites the fanbase.

This could have happened with a good AD something we don't have.

With all that said my dream new head coach is Rod Marinelli.  I know people want an offensive guy but I don't think that is a requirement.  We need to be different at UNT.  If we can bring back our reputation for playing dominate defense (something lacking in the entire state of Texas) we could really build something special.  The nickname Mean Green was earned by our defense in the 1970s.  If UNT could put together two winning seasons and get a bowl game win against a P5 conference school the program could turn the corner permanently.  And with a Rod Marinelli or coach with similar stature it could happen here.  UTSA has surpassed us mainly because they were serious from day one and hired Larry Coker.  A coach the if his name was offered up here when Mac was hired would have been dismissed as out of our league.  Just simply ask any fellow alumni you know the hypothetical question:  If UNT issued a money back guarantee that  they would hire Rod Marinelli as head coach would you donate $1,000?  Well I think if we asked enough of them we could get 30k (of the 100,000+ local alumni) to buy into that.  Guess what that $30 million.  Not only could we hire the coach of our dreams, you basically can guarantee expansion of Apogee Stadium and renovate the Super Pit.  But this only a dream until the UNT higher ups start talking this way.

• Downvote 6

Applewhite making $300k which is half what he made at UT.  Watched reply of UH game today...more convinced he's the best man for the job IF he would consider it.  Competitive spirit, winner, Texas ties...

You and I are of the same mind (I watched that entire game too).  Applewhite would be a fantastic hire IF he will take the job.  He would bring instant name recognition and is also a very good recruiter.  The key is you bring in assistants who have the experience and gray hairs.  That is why you have to up the budget for assistants as well.  Look at A&M, they hired John Chavis and immediately their defense improved.  Not saying we would pay near that kind of money but you get my point.

Edited by Harry

You and I are of the same mind (I watched that entire game too).  Applewhite would be a fantastic hire IF he will take the job.  He would bring instant name recognition and is also a very good recruiter.  The key is you bring in assistants who have the experience and gray hairs.  That is why you have to up the budget for assistants as well.  Look at A&M, they hired John Chavis and immediately their defense improved.  Not saying we would pay near that kind of money but you get my point.

Agreed!  We start the 'HIRE APPLEWHITE' campaign ASAP!

• Upvote 1

The that intrigues me about Applewhite is not necessarily the offense its the fact that I know he can recruit and I know he could assemble a great staff. I also dont think it hurts that he has been a part of a lot of different offensive schemes. He has worked with a lot of bright guys. 

I think a good under the radar name would be Jeff Traylor. TE and ST coach at Texas. Fantastic east Texas coach before that. 

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/2/13/8033349/jeff-traylor-hired-texas-longhorns-tight-ends-special-teams-coach

Dodge 2.0 

This isnt Dodge 2.0. This is one of the brightest young minds in the game. He would bring instant respect to NT. Recruiting is a non issue. Can he fill a staff though.

Also he is no longer the TE ST coach at Texas. He is the run game coordinator.

The that intrigues me about Applewhite is not necessarily the offense its the fact that I know he can recruit and I know he could assemble a great staff. I also dont think it hurts that he has been a part of a lot of different offensive schemes. He has worked with a lot of bright guys. 

This isnt Dodge 2.0. This is one of the brightest young minds in the game. He would bring instant respect to NT. Recruiting is a non issue. Can he fill a staff though.

Also he is no longer the TE ST coach at Texas. He is the run game coordinator.

He's not ready to be a head coach yet. 1 year at the FBS level, and numerous years coaching at Gilmer. He ran a spread no huddle offense, and doesn't really play defense. I played against the guy and my family knows him quite well. He's a really nice guy, I just think he needs a few more years under his belt.

Edited by jtm0097
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

He's not ready to be a head coach yet. 1 year at the FBS level, and numerous years coaching at Gilmer. He ran a spread no huddle offense, and doesn't really play defense. I played against the guy and my family knows him quite well. He's a really nice guy, I just think he needs a few more years under his belt.

Very solid point. Id still interview him though. 

I think its imperative that we do our due diligence with respects to this coaching search. 

• Upvote 2

How much is Willie Fritz making?  At some point we are going to have to come up with a competitive compensation package number.

Here is Willie Fritz original contract with Georgia Southern.

http://issuu.com/thega/docs/willie_fritz_la14-639

7 wins automatic rollover combined with APR of 940+. It's 3 years in addition to the rollovers. Buyout is 3 years of base pay.