Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

Let's be real guys our AD is Rick Villareal and he will make Chico the  interim head coach and once this dumpster fire is over he hire Chico on the cheap cause that's what he has always done and will always do. "The cycle continues "-  Sovereign from Mass Effect- 

SMU have cash falling from their pockets where as we have almost no budget to work with.

Edited by Chris Drybread
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Personally I don't want a coach to be here more than 2-3 years.  I want the new coach to win enough to where he gets a bigger job and salary at a p5 school and then hire another young talent to replace him.

I want us to be the destination.  Finally shake the directional state university stigma. If not we should have stayed in the southland conference and played SFA, SHSU, etc. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If those guys like Cumbie and Briles won't the job, they should be considered. But those guys are used to recruiting to schools kids want to go to and see on TV growing up. Something to strongly consider.

My guy is still Brad Smiley from Trinity Valley Community College. Best recruiting coach in all of Junior College, does a great job with academics, taking in non-qualifiers and getting them into D1 universities, was the recruiting coordinator at Tulane, can get the guys we need out of DFW, East Texas, and elsewhere. His team beat Blinn today, and they probably could've done the same to us today.

Blinn College was the best a few years back. Their coach left to join his dad, after we passed on him, at Texas State. They would probably have formed a better scenario here, maybe, but in no way should we hire a coach at that level. Raise the bar my man. 

• Upvote 1

I really like Major Applewhite.   I was impressed watching his offense at Houston the other night.  I understand he is a great recruiter. Others at my tailgate liked him as well but some said he might not be interested.  I think if we put in the right package he might be interested.  I would be interested in Briles as well.  We need a guy who can RECRUIT!!!!  Top priority in this job.  Mac never got that.

Don't be fooled; that's Tom Herman's offense they're running down there in Houston, not Major Applewhite's. Unless he's bringing Herman with him, no thanks. 

But since I'm here, I'll go ahead and share my thoughts on the topic at hand. There are only three guys who should even be considered for this job: Kendal Briles, Jake Spavital, and Sonny Cumbie, in that order, though I think the last one is the most plausible of the three.

If we absolutely have to look outside those three, then there should be two requirements: 1) be from Texas (for recruiting purposes) AND 2) run the spread (also for recruiting purposes). 

So we have to listen to you how we won't fire Mac for 2-3 years until his contract is over.  We did.

Now you say we won't try to hire a good coach who can recruit from a FBS program.  I think we can.

Of all the people on here, you should recognize that this isn't the same North Texas.  If it was, we wouldn't have fired Mac after this game.  We wouldn't have come up with the money to buy out his contract.

UNT is - albeit slowly historically - figuring this thing out.  I am optimistic that they will hire a very good coach and will pay him more than what they paid Mac.  I think things are looking up.  Your problem is you base everything on the past.  It is time to focus on the future.

Harry, it depends on WHO makes the hire.

If RV continues on as AD against all logical thought, nothing will change. Another crap hire will occur. Someone will flim flam the flim flam man in interviews. Probably with a power point presentation. That's much more impressive than a binder.

There is still one very big change that needs to be made. If that doesn't happen, we will repeat the mistakes of the past.

Good bye jim

Doesn't it bother you that people are leaving? Maybe everyone else isn't wrong about RV.

I seriously don't even think you can protect him at this point. It has to be done in order for this university to prove to people who aren't close, personal friends with the AD that the university cares even a little about athletics. 

Just a smidge. 

Chad Morris was considered one of those guys but sure enough a large check got him to the largest coaching graveyard in FBS. 

UNT hired Chad Morris?

o...k....

I'm here to boast in the firing of a pitiful coach. If RV doesn't get fired we will be at square 1 in 3-4-5 years. But, one thing I know is certain....you don't know anything about the tendacies of the athletic administration in regards to firing coaches. But now you know about the tendacies of hiring coaches at UNT?...No, you don't. No one knows what kind of coach we will go after or the pay that will be associated with. Except for, of course, you. 

Eithe way, RV must go. 

Never posting here again lasted, what, one week?

• Upvote 3

Personally I don't want a coach to be here more than 2-3 years.  I want the new coach to win enough to where he gets a bigger job and salary at a p5 school and then hire another young talent to replace him.

This is something that I've basically said for some time, without attaching the time frames. The lesson we should have learned a long time ago was that throwing money at the problem was not the answer. We need an athletic director that projects both confidence and energy, and knows how to address the "challenges" of our unique culture. He then needs to go about hiring young, hungry, up-and-coming coaches who can recruit.....and recruit to NT. Then when that coach (as he should) gets hired away from us, the AD goes through the process all over again.

When Hayden Fry left for Iowa, the "old nesters" took over the hiring process. And because they basically hated Hayden Fry they ignored his recommendation of Bill Brasher as replacement and seemed to prefer someone that was the opposite of Hayden Fry. 

They should have been looking for the next up-and-coming Hayden Fry, both in the AD's job as well as the next Head coaching position. 

And we still should.

A JUCO coach's name keeps coming up, why not a D-II head coach.

http://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=123&path=football

• Upvote 1

We are much worse off than they were... 

This year's performance on the field might be.  But we're in a better conference, in much more fertile recruiting grounds, with a far better stadium and better facilities, far better coaching pay (at least before Freeze arrived at ASU), etc., etc.  I would imagine that we're comparably attractive to what ASU was before Freeze.

Let's be real guys our AD is Rick Villareal and he will make Chico the  interim head coach and once this dumpster fire is over he hire Chico on the cheap cause that's what he has always done and will always do.

Who was hired as permanent head coach after the 2010 season?

• Upvote 1

Don't be fooled; that's Tom Herman's offense they're running down there in Houston, not Major Applewhite's. Unless he's bringing Herman with him, no thanks. 

But since I'm here, I'll go ahead and share my thoughts on the topic at hand. There are only three guys who should even be considered for this job: Kendal Briles, Jake Spavital, and Sonny Cumbie, in that order, though I think the last one is the most plausible of the three.

If we absolutely have to look outside those three, then there should be two requirements: 1) be from Texas (for recruiting purposes) AND 2) run the spread (also for recruiting purposes). 

I agree with that. We need a Todd Dodge with an overall brain for the game along with a smaller ego. I love great defenses, but we need someone that can put a team together that can score a boatload of points.

Either we're really spot on, or this dude's just reading this thread. Also, people responding are showing what we already know. The perception of this program is that it's a dead-end job. Also, RV.

Love seeing these names as possibilities.  The old UNT fan in me however is disheartened that we'll not see any of them and we'll hire some no name running backs coach from P5 U.  Hopefully things are different now. 

• Upvote 4

Derek Dooley? He is local now and was competitive at La Tech and Tennessee. He inherited a mess at Tennessee, but he did make a bowl game. Reading over his record,  though he does look very Mac like. 

I think the TAMU Commerce coach would be a good hire. Turned around a historical losing school, and knows the state well. He was previously a DC at West Texas A&M.

• Upvote 2

Serious question. I am 100% in the fire RV camp. Let's say he does make the hire and he gets one of the top 5 or so names everyone is throwing around, do you all get behind the hire then?

I think I do. Before yesterday it was I'm out until serious changes are made. Step 1 happened last night...I'm just hoping the next step is one in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

Derek Dooley? He is local now and was competitive at La Tech and Tennessee. He inherited a mess at Tennessee, but he did make a bowl game. Reading over his record,  though he does look very Mac like. 

I think the TAMU Commerce coach would be a good hire. Turned around a historical losing school, and knows the state well. He was previously a DC at West Texas A&M.

Hell no for Dooley. I grew up a Vols fan, and that is not a guy I ever want to see coach my team again. He had the biggest recruiting budget in the country and he did an awful job with it, and really sucked at getting the hometown players. No way he could get good classes here.

• Upvote 3

Serious question. I am 100% in the fire RV camp. Let's say he does make the hire and he gets one of the top 5 or so names everyone is throwing around, do you all get behind the hire then?

I think I do. Before yesterday it was I'm out until serious changes are made. Step 1 happened last night...I'm just hoping the next step is one in the right direction.

was wondering this same thing myself...

• Upvote 1

Blinn College was the best a few years back. Their coach left to join his dad, after we passed on him, at Texas State. They would probably have formed a better scenario here, maybe, but in no way should we hire a coach at that level. Raise the bar my man. 

We can not have such a narrow mind with this coaching search. Just because he's a juco coach does not mean he'd be lowering or keeping the bar low.

That was our mentality last coaching search. Let's get someone who has been there. Let's not stoop to hiring a high school coach with no experience. Okay, well you're going to get someone who lost their job. Why did they lose it, and how does that translate to here? You have to be critical of that and not just feel like the higher ranked program and position of their previous jobs, the better.

Again, even if it's not Smiley you guys can't get so wrapped up in where the coach is coming from or has been. Smiley is my lead candidate, but even more so he's a representation of how I want us to handle this coaching search. Gotta be a guy who is a good fit here, not just a resume that has big-name schools. Smiley hasn't gotten a chance for the exact reasons you guys disclude him. Just because he's a juco coach. Not being so picky can really be to our advantage.

• Upvote 2

The 'hire Mack Brown' comment is probably the brightest one... Texas HS coaches would feed him players... And Major is coaching lights out in Houston with very balanced attack! Can't see Mack straying from his 'support' role and therefore Major unlikely. 

Meacham and Cumbie are primed for major gigs, don't see them heading to Denton.

Reality that should get looks- 

KC Keeler at Sam Houston, Bill Legg, OC, Marshall, Chris Kelman at N Dakota State would all be good 'out of Texas' coaches as they can all flat out 'game coach'.

• Upvote 2