Is it time for the triple option?

GM1998

Perhaps it is time for North Texas to adopt the Triple Option Offense. We have had little success in developing a pro-style QB and seem to enjoy a run first mentality. Embracing the triple option could enable us to recruit athletes from a larger pool of potentially overlooked kids. Georgia Tech and Navy are both triple options schools who are mainstays on the bowl circuit. If a service academy can be successful with that system shouldn't it at least be on the table for discussion. I even believe Paul Johnson, the coach of Georgia Tech, has a series of videos and seminars explaining how to implement the system.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

A triple-option attack, run properly, is very effective and prolific at point production. We actually have a lot of the pieces in place to implement it.  Wouldn't it be wild to see us run a few plays in that offense to shake things up?  Is that too radical?

• Upvote 2

A triple-option attack, run properly, is very effective and prolific at point production. We actually have a lot of the pieces in place to implement it.  Wouldn't it be wild to see us run a few plays in that offense to shake things up?  Is that too radical?

No way. That complication of Mac's playbook would require a year of intense study before our QB's could implement it. 

• Upvote 2

No way. That complication of Mac's playbook would require a year of intense study before our QB's could implement it. 

I hear you. However, it IS Happy Hour and I HAVE had two Shiner Bocks so humor me. What if...the OC took a group of guys and made up three pages of the playbook just for them? And, what if...those guys subbed-in enmasse at a change of possession? And what if...to minimize the learning curve for the O-line the plays were designed to pretty much utilize existing blocking schemes for a sweep or rollout? If so...you are able to spring a few triple-option plays as a surprise at some critical point to your advantage without extensive preparation.

Or, this just might be an episode of Ancient Aliens.

Perhaps it is time for North Texas to adopt the Triple Option Offense. We have had little success in developing a pro-style QB and seem to enjoy a run first mentality. Embracing the triple option could enable us to recruit athletes from a larger pool of potentially overlooked kids. Georgia Tech and Navy are both triple options schools who are mainstays on the bowl circuit. If a service academy can be successful with that system shouldn't it at least be on the table for discussion. I even believe Paul Johnson, the coach of Georgia Tech, has a series of videos and seminars explaining how to implement the system.

A modern read option attack would be preferable. Would be easier to recruit and develop a QB. 

• Upvote 1

A modern read option attack would be preferable. Would be easier to recruit and develop a QB. 

Agree with that for the long term. I'm thinking more along the lines of quickly being able to show an Iowa, a Tennessee, or someone else something they haven't seen on film. You know, like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Sort of a WTF moment!

• Upvote 1

I'm down with the triple option. I mean why in the hell not? 

Agree with that for the long term. I'm thinking more along the lines of quickly being able to show an Iowa, a Tennessee, or someone else something they haven't seen on film. You know, like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Sort of a WTF moment!

Is this that WTF moment? 

I am advocating installing it in the spring after we lose every game this season! The read option still requires guys we have proven we cannot recruit.

Something has to be done. Our offense is awful.

I'm down with the triple option. I mean why in the hell not? 

Is this that WTF moment? 

Well, when John Belushi (aka Bluto) asked the Delta Tau Chi brothers "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" I assume that they were all thinking WTF.

Sorry for the "Animal House" reference, but as a Teke I can relate.

I'm all for it. We have good running backs and quarterbacks that are inefficient passing the ball. I think it would work way better than what we have now and the drives would last longer. This would give the defense more time to rest whether we are uptempo or not.

One way to look at it is if you can't recruit players to execute your offense, change your offense to utilize the players you have.

That has probably been better said before by others on this Board.

• Upvote 3

I mean, we run every other offensive set know to pre and post-modern football, why not the triple option?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1