Rice looking for bounce-back win against UNT

Harry

The outcome against Texas - a 42-28 loss- wasn't something the Rice football team wanted or planned on.

On Monday, Owls players stressed that they never thought their Week 2 game was out of reach.

In fact, on paper, in all categories but the score and turnovers, Rice was the better team.

"We didn't feel like we were outmanned or out-strengthened by any means," Rice running back Sam Stewart said.

Five turnovers – three interceptions and two fumbles – can make a big difference.

Rice's defense held Texas' offense to just 16 minutes of possession time. The Owls defensive line performed well above expectations, especially for being without starter Graysen Schantz, who suffered a torn ACL last week. Rice's offensive line also opened up large gaps for Stewart to run through. He amassed 130 yards rushing on the night.

read more:  http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rice/article/Rice-looking-for-bounce-back-win-against-North-6504150.php

I agree with Ben Here. This has the makings of a bloodbath. Don't be surprised with a 30 plus point loss.

Turnovers and home field advantage are the only hope we have to keep this thing close.

I was holding firm that we wouldn't see a QB change till halftime in Iowa. Slowly I'm thinking 4th quarter against Rice.

I agree with Ben Here. This has the makings of a bloodbath. Don't be surprised with a 30 plus point loss.

Turnovers and home field advantage are the only hope we have to keep this thing close.

I would be really, extremely surprised with a 30 point loss. Mac hasnt lost a home game by 30 points since he has been here. If this was game was after losing out on a chance to go bowling or losing 5 games in a row I could maybe see a blood bath. Its going to be tough to win with QB & OL play like we got last week, but I expect the team to come out with a pissed off hungry attitude. Everybody is hating on them and the staff. No one believes in them. That us vs. the world is set up. We have talent just need better execution. 

Rice doesnt quite scare me like everyone else. I would not be surprised if North Texas won this game.

• Upvote 1

I would be really, extremely surprised with a 30 point loss. Mac hasnt lost a home game by 30 points since he has been here. If this was game was after losing out on a chance to go bowling or losing 5 games in a row I could maybe see a blood bath. Its going to be tough to win with QB & OL play like we got last week, but I expect the team to come out with a pissed off hungry attitude. Everybody is hating on them and the staff. No one believes in them. That us vs. the world is set up. We have talent just need better execution. 

Rice doesnt quite scare me like everyone else. I would not be surprised if North Texas won this game.

Everywhere except 1 position.

• Upvote 1

I'm no expert but I'd like hear more from others on here who really are good at breaking things down. I thought our OL struggled a lot last week. It was hard to tell because the overall offense struggled with the QB play but I just thought it was not very good. The ol play seems to have been overlooked because everyone was watching McNulty. What do you guys think?

I'm no expert but I'd like hear more from others on here who really are good at breaking things down. I thought our OL struggled a lot last week. It was hard to tell because the overall offense struggled with the QB play but I just thought it was not very good. The ol play seems to have been overlooked because everyone was watching McNulty. What do you guys think?

You Sir would be very correct. It wasn't just the QB. The run game was stuffed many times bc the OL missed assignments or blocks. It was very tough to watch linemen running downfield looking for guys to block while the back is getting tackled for loss. McNulty also missed read a few plays that were run/pass options where he should've pulled the ball and passed it. Another area where the OL struggled was blitz pickup. McNulty needs to get us out of bad plays too.

Kirby struggled with a man straight on him. 

Rice was disappointing.

Rentfro should not be out there at all. 

If the OL improves the most this week then we have a chance. 

QB & OL were equally disappointing in my book. 

• Upvote 2

You Sir would be very correct. It wasn't just the QB. The run game was stuffed many times bc the OL missed assignments or blocks. It was very tough to watch linemen running downfield looking for guys to block while the back is getting tackled for loss. McNulty also missed read a few plays that were run/pass options where he should've pulled the ball and passed it. Another area where the OL struggled was blitz pickup. McNulty needs to get us out of bad plays too.

Rice was disappointing.

I saw a lot of the same things in our O Line last year.  Again, in a first game they looked unprepared and often outmanned.  Hopefully it will get better.  When you are starting a true freshman over a senior it tells you something about how recruiting has been going.

Not exactly groundbreaking news, but if we fail at our ball control offense it could REALLY get ugly. Somebody has got to step up at RB and find a way to churn out first downs while burning clock. Without the threat of a vertical passing game that's going to be tough.

Hey what about Erick Eva-oooooohhhhh sads

I am looking forward to see what Ivery can do, if indeed he is getting a shot this weekend with Wilson and Rollins out.

• Upvote 2

I saw a lot of the same things in our O Line last year.  Again, in a first game they looked unprepared and often outmanned.  Hopefully it will get better.  When you are starting a true freshman over a senior it tells you something about how recruiting has been going.

I only kind of agree with the last sentence. I mean he was a senior who walked on that was beaten out. That does highlight the part of your last sentence that is key, which is why in Year 5 of Mac are there only two recruited OL playing, one a true freshman and the other a RS freshman?

they were outmanned. 9 on the box on just about every play

• Downvote 1

Rice was disappointing.

5 never blocked 7, 8, or 9...and never will.

Its a lousy, slow-developing, archaic run-first offense that doesn't spread the field.  Our O linemen are set up to fail.

Rick

• Upvote 2

5 never blocked 7, 8, or 9...and never will.

Its a lousy, slow-developing, archaic run-first offense that doesn't spread the field.  Our O linemen are set up to fail.

Rick

There wasn't 7,8,9 in the box Saturday.  The OL had trouble with 4,5,6.  Numbers didn't matter. The plays were there to be had. Execution was THE #1 problem.  The OL wasn't set up to fail they did it on there own. 

• Upvote 1

There wasn't 7,8,9 in the box Saturday.  The OL had trouble with 4,5,6.  Numbers didn't matter. The plays were there to be had. Execution was THE #1 problem.  The OL wasn't set up to fail they did it on there own. 

There were no lanes to run in, thus the one long run being Jimmerson bouncing it outside around the end to the end zone.    But you go ahead and believe what you want to believe.  I'll believe in the results...like 20 road wins in 20 years....or whatever rediculous record it is?

The "we're just not executing" is nothing more than an excuse.

Rick

There were no lanes to run in, thus the one long run being Jimmerson bouncing it outside around the end to the end zone.    But you go ahead and believe what you want to believe.  I'll believe in the results...like 20 road wins in 20 years....or whatever rediculous record it is?

Rick

I agree with the both of you, and the play you cited actually lends more credit to the "execution" argument because this one was executed very well.  He had o-linemen blocking for him about 10-15yds upfield.   One of the few plays that went well.

Rick

I believe the film and what I saw rewatching the game twice. Saturday opportunities were there. Execution was the root cause of no running game. It's not just an excuse. When an OL runs by the guy he is supposed to block and that guy makes the tackle. What is that? A bad play call? No it's poor execution. You believe in results well you don't get results without execution. North Texas would've won that game had the OL & QB played much better. 

• Upvote 4

I would be really, extremely surprised with a 30 point loss. Mac hasnt lost a home game by 30 points since he has been here.

He hasn't, and I would be surprised at that too, but the last time we faced a team in Apogee that finished with a winning record was Louisiana Tech, and they were up on us by 35 points going into the 4th against us. We don't know what Rice's record will be, but I'm interested to see how we do at home against a seemingly decent team that we could beat. 5 of the 6 teams we brought in to Apogee last year were not good teams. This is a big opportunity for us.

• Upvote 1