MGB Thursday notes: QB depth chart, Wisconsin thoughts

Brett Vito

Little Mac, Smith, and Greer all looked great in the video I watched today. It was odd to watch that video with people who have no idea who was who, and they all assumed Little Mac was the starter from the quality of throws. One of the people I was showing the footage to played QB in college. Most said Smith was a very close second. 

• Upvote 1

McCarney said Andrew McNulty is still solidly the No. 1, with Josh Greer running with the second team.

Here’s a telling quote on Saturday’s scrimmage.

“We are going to have to see where we are after watching today’s practice on tape and see what happens in practice tomorrow, but Andrew McNulty will be rolling with the ones,” McCarney said.

There is still absolutely not a doubt in my mind who will be starting for us in Dallas against SMU, as well as at least the first four games of the season. McNulty is Mac's guy...

• Upvote 1

McCarney said Andrew McNulty is still solidly the No. 1, with Josh Greer running with the second team.

Here’s a telling quote on Saturday’s scrimmage.

“We are going to have to see where we are after watching today’s practice on tape and see what happens in practice tomorrow, but Andrew McNulty will be rolling with the ones,” McCarney said.

There is still absolutely not a doubt in my mind who will be starting for us in Dallas against SMU, as well as at least the first four games of the season. McNulty is Mac's guy...

I don't think Mac has any other plans at QB. He's going to drop generic quotes here & there to appease the fans regarding Smith, but we all know it's a stone cold lead pipe lock that MiniMac will be the #1 when the season starts. We wont see Smith until NT is out of Bowl contention......

Edited by Got5onIt

I don't think Mac has any other plans at QB. He's going to drop generic quotes here & there to appease the fans regarding Smith, but we all know it's a stone cold lead pipe lock that MiniMac will be the #1 when the season starts. We wont see Smith until NT is out of Bowl contention......

And Mccarney should be held fully accountable for another blunder of a season if what you say is true. I may go to one of the Rudy BBQ shows and loudly voice my opinion if in fact this does happen because if it does happen I will have lost all hope in this team with Mac as our HC. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I mentioned this in the topic board on Ivery's write up but why the hell is Greer number two?? The kid has no business being there in front of Smith and as I have said it before, as much as I love Means, the kid needs a hell of a lot of work and shouldnt be splitting reps with Smith. Stick Smith with the second team O and let him go!!! The more reps this kid gets, the more of a chance he can wrap his head around this offense.

This is an absolutely awful thing to say and by no means do I want this kid to get hurt but the Only way Smith gets a shot is if McNulty goes down with a semi-serous injury. I repeat, i dont want McNulty hurt.

• Upvote 2

I mentioned this in the topic board on Ivery's write up but why the hell is Greer number two?? The kid has no business being there in front of Smith and as I have said it before, as much as I love Means, the kid needs a hell of a lot of work and shouldnt be splitting reps with Smith. Stick Smith with the second team O and let him go!!! The more reps this kid gets, the more of a chance he can wrap his head around this offense.

This is an absolutely awful thing to say and by no means do I want this kid to get hurt but the Only way Smith gets a shot is if McNulty goes down with a semi-serous injury. I repeat, i dont want McNulty hurt.

This I agree with 100%. You recruited the guy to compete. Stick him up there and let it go. We all know what sits behind MiniMac. HSO, but Means & Chumley will never go into a season here at NT as the bonafide #1.

With Mac, maybe it's semantics? Maybe it's a formality thing? Who knows???

Edited by Got5onIt

This I agree with 100%. You recruited the guy to compete. Stick him up there and let it go. We all know what sits behind MiniMac. HSO, but Means & Chumley will never go into a season here at NT as the bonafide #1.

With Mac, maybe it's semantics? Maybe it's a formality thing? Who knows???

Chumley, I completely agree with you unless they work with him on his mechanics (Who does that here??) and he works his but off and might have a chance his SR year but he is so much of a physical freak, he belongs somewhere else.

Means, I give him until after Smith Graduates to get the rains because of his raw talent and lets all be honest, we dont recruit QB's here at UNT so he wont have any other competition

Greer is # 2 bc he knows the offense and is consistent in practice. However, when he gets in the games it all goes out the window. He also is limited in the new offense scheme. So Smith will be the #2 by the beginning of the season. 

• Upvote 1

So Mac goes out and spends a ship on a Juco QB whom he has no intention of ever playing? That makes tons of sense.

Didn't Greer, a Juco, start at Texas? Albeit to disastrous results but the point is the new juco guy got his chance.

McNulty may start the SMU game but who is to say he finishes it? Starting could mean simply the first series. Kids a senior and paid some dues. But count me in the camp that thinks Smith will come on hard and either win the job outright before SMU or at minimum share some game time.

I hope you're right. But don't you think if MiniMac starts and NT stomps a mudhole in SMU, it'll just reinforce the notion that he's the right guy? We all know Smith missed spring ball, how big is that on Coach Mac's list of important QB thingies?

• Upvote 1

I hope you're right. But don't you think if MiniMac starts and NT stomps a mudhole in SMU, it'll just reinforce the notion that he's the right guy? We all know Smith missed spring ball, how big is that on Coach Mac's list of important QB thingies?

NT stomped a mudhole in SMU last year and Greer got pulled halfway through the very next game.

• Upvote 1

Somehow the (new) backup QB is always the most beloved guy on the team. But something does not add up to me, with the way some people here seem to remember last season. Sometimes I get the feeling some of y'all really do feel like Mac is giving leeway to McNulty that he is not to the other QBs. But last season sure was little evidence of that.

McNulty was the guy with the experience etc. Mac could have easily annointed him the started, but they got a JuCo in and started him over McNulty. Then when that guy did not work out, he did still not go to McNulty, no he gave the RS Freshman who missed lots of practice time a chance. The RS freshman also crapped the bed (yes he did., you could argue Mac should have been more forgiving on account of youth, but one does not have to agree. If you play you gotta be the best, no matter the age). Only as a third option, McNulty got a start. Then instead of forgoing controversy, Mac and Chico got another JuCo to compete for the job this season, but he failed to give himself a real chance by not qualifying for spring ball. Despite that he is now given a chance to move up the depth chart. Some are acting as if he is not getting a shot at starting. It is just that he has to earn it, since nothing is given. If McNulty starts at SMU it is because he it earned or because Smith did not. And yes, missing spring ball did limit the time he had to earn it. That is not Macs fault other than maybe he should have gotten a Juco QB in that would have qualified for spring ball but now the situation is what it is.

You can argue that QB development is bad, and you'd have an argument. You can argue that QB recruiting is not what it should be, and you'd have an argument. Yes McNulty is not exciting in his playing style and he has a definable ceiling. But this whole suggestion of "minimac" favoritism is really getting old, and more importantly, all the evidence says it is ridiculously inaccurate.

This^

• Upvote 4

Somehow the (new) backup QB is always the most beloved guy on the team. But something does not add up to me, with the way some people here seem to remember last season. Sometimes I get the feeling some of y'all really do feel like Mac is giving leeway to McNulty that he is not to the other QBs. But last season sure was little evidence of that.

McNulty was the guy with the experience etc. Mac could have easily annointed him the started, but they got a JuCo in and started him over McNulty. Then when that guy did not work out, he did still not go to McNulty, no he gave the RS Freshman who missed lots of practice time a chance. The RS freshman also crapped the bed (yes he did., you could argue Mac should have been more forgiving on account of youth, but one does not have to agree. If you play you gotta be the best, no matter the age). Only as a third option, McNulty got a start. Then instead of forgoing controversy, Mac and Chico got another JuCo to compete for the job this season, but he failed to give himself a real chance by not qualifying for spring ball. Despite that he is now given a chance to move up the depth chart. Some are acting as if he is not getting a shot at starting. It is just that he has to earn it, since nothing is given. If McNulty starts at SMU it is because he it earned or because Smith did not. And yes, missing spring ball did limit the time he had to earn it. That is not Macs fault other than maybe he should have gotten a Juco QB in that would have qualified for spring ball but now the situation is what it is.

You can argue that QB development is bad, and you'd have an argument. You can argue that QB recruiting is not what it should be, and you'd have an argument. Yes McNulty is not exciting in his playing style and he has a definable ceiling. But this whole suggestion of "minimac" favoritism is really getting old, and more importantly, all the evidence says it is ridiculously inaccurate.

Great posts. I expect how well you stated this will make it at least 5 more posts before someone says McNulty is Mac's guy again.

• Upvote 3

I have a feeling I'll be going over to the alum side in the 2nd Q of the Rice game to give the staff an ear full. Smith sharing reps with Means is comical. Dude struggles to hit stand-ins. 

Smith shouldn't be "given" the job, BUT he should be getting real reps with the 1's & 2's to see what kind of talent he really has. This staff man, whew. 

• Upvote 2

Chumley, I completely agree with you unless they work with him on his mechanics (Who does that here??) and he works his but off and might have a chance his SR year but he is so much of a physical freak, he belongs somewhere else.

Means, I give him until after Smith Graduates to get the rains because of his raw talent and lets all be honest, we dont recruit QB's here at UNT so he wont have any other competition

I don't really see much raw talent with Means, or confidence. This staff has signed a juco QB 4 out of 5 classes. Could be more of that going forward, which would explain why no QB offers this class or last class (besides Chumley).

If Means is going to start then it'll have to be because he starts making more progress than he has. If he doesn't and he just starts by default then we won't be in very good shape.

• Upvote 2