UNT working on game at Texas A&M

Harry

Check back in for the first time in a long time and see that the laziness in the UNT athletic department is still occurring in full force.

Hope you are happy with Army and SMU in alternating years plus an FCS as home games each year for the next 5 years, because this AD doesn't know how to do anything else, and, quite frankly, feels absolutely zero pressure to do better. 

Enjoy the the every year away money game ass kicking by a nearby P5 (you know, gotta make sure the local media knows we still are UNT and we still suck and they put it on the front page of the sports section) and a crap ass FCS team at home.

The fact that RV can be as unsuccessful in major sports as he has been and still has a job after 16 years tells me everything I need to know about UNT's commitment to athletics. My commitment will mirror theirs from here on out. 

Death, Taxes, and embarrassing UNT athletics. Some things are just unavoidable.

​Basically can't disagree with this......or at least most of this.

You know, if we are looking to play someone wearing maroon, then I would prefer Texas State at Apogee and an athletic department that actually did some promoting for a home game. 

Edited by SilverEagle

I seem to recall hearing numerous times (do I have it on tape... no.. Do I have where it was written down...no) fill up Apogee and we won't have to schedule these types of games.  Well based on our    continounce to schedule these games it would appear (my opinion) someone (who shall remain nameless) has little faith in that occurring.  

• Upvote 1

I seem to recall hearing numerous times (do I have it on tape... no.. Do I have where it was written down...no) fill up Apogee and we won't have to schedule these types of games.  Well based on our    continounce to schedule these games it would appear (my opinion) someone (who shall remain nameless) has little faith in that occurring.  

To sell out, we have to become a winning program for several years consistantly. Until then, we have to have paycheck games

• Upvote 1

Why cant they just give us a 1 and 1 with a team that is worth a damn?

​Because the financials won't line up.  

The Indiana game was an opportunity for Mean Green fans to show up and fill up Apogee to make money.  They didn't show, so we must find another way to balance the budget.

We'll have these paycheck games until we don't need them.

A bunch of my best friends graduated from A&M so count me as very excited for this game. Plus, Kyle Field is the best game day experience in Texas.

​I've probably been to around 20 games there over the years, and I'm not sure I'd consider it the "best" game day experience in Texas, but I no doubt consider it the weirdest game day experience in Texas if not the whole country. Everybody should do it once, and what better way to do it than an NT victory. Shutting them up can be a pretty enjoyable thing.

• Upvote 1

​Because the financials won't line up.

The Indiana game was an opportunity for Mean Green fans to show up and fill up Apogee to make money.  They didn't show, so we must find another way to balance the budget.

We'll have these paycheck games until we don't need  the giant P5s won't pay for these budget-makers anymore.

​FIFY

RV and UNT are just lazy when it comes to this stuff. Seriously, it is so easy to find a SEC or Big XII team to pay for our non-revenue sports. They are paying out huge money for one game to cover all of this. I always complain that all that matters at UNT in regards to athletics is "known costs". In this case, its "known revenue". Lazy and a complete lack of desire to win, just pay the bills to keep the athletic department from running under budget in a simple fashion.

But its never going away here--ever. RV publicly advocates this position. He will then buy a FCS game to give us 6 home games or if times are tough, he will find another bodybag game, just like this year and just like in 2012. Honestly, if we are this desperate for funding, I'd rather play two bodybag games like we are this year if it means never playing another ridiculous FCS team, yet in both cases of 2012 and 2015, the only OOC game we get is an FCS opponent. Just once, try to abandon the bodybag game and the FCS game in a couple of seasons and see what happens. If we are in the red, then go back to what is easy to do. But just try it--this crazy term called "opportunity cost" is just sitting here waiting to be tested. Hell, if it doesn't work and we cannot get people out for games against FBS teams only, then we all will finally know that higher-level college football just isn't what UNT's family even cares to find interest in and we can start looking at what needs to be done to drop down again. This current methodology of staying in budget as the main goal of the AD is unsustainable for two reasons--the P5s will finally pull away completely and not play anyone else anymore and it just perpetuates the fact that UNT isn't worth following closely because we don't care about winning.

And we wonder why so many UNT students and alumni are fans of the schools that buy us for the pleasure...

I'd rather play at Texas or Texas Tech. Texas under Strong gives us a better shot at a W than A&M under Sumlin. Once we have a QB, a win vs Tech is not unrealistic.

For those wanting a 1 and 1 with a Big 12 program, this has been discussed ad nauseam on here but here's a recap: Every Big 12 team comes to DFW (Fort Worth @ TCU) at least every other year. Four Big 12 teams come to DFW every year, and twice every other year. Oklahoma/Texas (Cotton Bowl); Baylor/Texas Tech (Jerry World). Our best chances to get a Big 12 team to consider coming to Apogee are Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State; outside shot of getting TCU here. Kansas State under Bill Snyder tries to play all home games in the OOC and West Virginia schedules their OOC east of the Mississippi. 

Iowa State has the yearly contest vs. Iowa (home in odd years and away in even years); to get them we'd need to do the opposite (kind of like our Army/SMU series). With the Coach Mac connection, I thought we had a real chance at making this series happen. Iowa State has 1-and-1 deals with Toledo, Akron, UNLV, and Arkansas State - why not us?

TCU could be sold on the fact that they are playing a de facto home game (we would out number them in Apogee, but this game could be a sellout). With RV's connections to TCU, I'm surprised this one has never been put together. I'd actually be okay with a 2-for-1 with TCU.

Oklahoma State recruits DFW and Texas pretty hard. Unlike their counterpart, OU, they only come to DFW once every other year. They have 1-and-1 deals with Central Michigan, South Alabama, and Tulsa. I would think with KRAM's connections, we could get this done.

Kansas is another school that recruits hard in Texas. They are a pretty even match (a la Indiana) and are always scheduling one and ones with G5's ... Rice, Central Michigan, Ohio, Memphis, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss.

I would love to see a P5 in Apogee again, but I'm also good with some home and homes with other G5 programs (San Diego (SDSU) or Orlando (UCF) trip anyone?). Wouldn't it be amazing if we could get a 7 game home schedule just once? - I mean while I'm dreaming, why not dream big?

UNTcrazy727 is right, Kyle Field/Texas A&M is the best game day experience in Texas. foutsrouts, who do you think beats it?

• Upvote 4

What if this game won't be played at Kyle Field? What if it's a Jerry World game? How would everyone feel about that?

(yes I know it's kind of unlikely, but it's the offseason so play along)

​Do college games at Jerry World charge NFL game prices with $100 parking, $90 slices of pizza, and for all I know, $25 to use the urinal?

I can't support Jerry World.  I just can't. 

• Upvote 1

​Department info that is not made public can still be shared with another school's AD.  Or no?

Sure it can be shared. But RV isn't going to know another schools unpublished information until he asks for it. The post I as responding to suggested RV was a bad AD because he didn't know the answers to questions before they are asked! He's not a wizard with a crystal ball. And Purdue didn't know our schedule before they talked to RV. 

Count me in as someone who's all for this game.  I'll take a money game with A&M over most out-of-state foes any day.... usually results in more coverage for us leading up to it, and we haven't played them in awhile. It should be a game where plenty of UNT fans can go (don't we have a good Houston contingent?)

Yeah, RV sucks schedule wise, but I'd rather play a game in Kyle Field than trek all the way to Bama or FL

• Upvote 3

​Do college games at Jerry World charge NFL game prices with $100 parking, $90 slices of pizza, and for all I know, $25 to use the urinal?

I can't support Jerry World.  I just can't. 

They are not quite NFL prices and while it's more than what we pay at Apogee it would still be cheaper and easier than traveling to College Station. It would also be MUCH easier to actually get tickets.

Count me in as someone who's all for this game.  I'll take a money game with A&M over most out-of-state foes any day.... usually results in more coverage for us leading up to it, and we haven't played them in awhile. It should be a game where plenty of UNT fans can go (don't we have a good Houston contingent?)

Yeah, RV sucks schedule wise, but I'd rather play a game in Kyle Field than trek all the way to Bama or FL

​I agree with MJG.  I would always prefer money games being in-state, with UT and Texas A&M preferably.  These games get you tons of exposure and who doesn't have family and friends who attended those schools.  Media outlets like the Dallas Morning News and Houston Chronicle which give us little coverage are forced to provide us some much needed attention and exposure.  Heck my wife is a Longhorn grad and she attended the last game we had last year with me.  It was fun, other than the game itself which sucked.

With their new stadium renovation, I would expect that our allotment would sell out pretty quickly!   I have yet to see a game at Kyle field but have it on my list of places I want to experience.

​I agree with MJG.  I would always prefer money games being in-state, with UT and Texas A&M preferably.  These games get you tons of exposure and who doesn't have family and friends who attended those schools.  Media outlets like the Dallas Morning News and Houston Chronicle which give us little coverage are forced to provide us some much needed attention and exposure.  Heck my wife is a Longhorn grad and she attended the last game we had last year with me.  It was fun, other than the game itself which sucked.

With their new stadium renovation, I would expect that our allotment would sell out pretty quickly!   I have yet to see a game at Kyle field but have it on my list of places I want to experience.

​Well said Harry.

The problem with playing Texas or A&M is that they are the two big schools in the state and they just beat the snot out of you ever having anything to look forward to after the physical and mental beating they apply. Texas beat us badly last year--in a season where the best wins they had were over West Virginia and Okie State, as they finished 6-7 with a whopping 59 yards of offense in their bowl loss to Arkansas. And that loss completely took all the positive air out of the bubble we had going after the HoD Bowl. It was just same ol' UNT again. And we went on to beat three dregs of FBS and a team in FCS that Denton Guyer would have pounded, while losing to every other FBS team on our schedule. But we got track and field, soccer, volleyball, softball, golf, and cross country paid for by those generous and thoughtful Longhorns in Austin!!

• Upvote 1

​I've probably been to around 20 games there over the years, and I'm not sure I'd consider it the "best" game day experience in Texas, but I no doubt consider it the weirdest game day experience in Texas if not the whole country. Everybody should do it once, and what better way to do it than an NT victory. Shutting them up can be a pretty enjoyable thing.

​Please tell me which college in Texas has a better game day atmosphere? Love them or hate them, I don't think anyone comes close to what A&M does on Saturdays.

The problem with playing Texas or A&M is that they are the two big schools in the state and they just beat the snot out of you ever having anything to look forward to after the physical and mental beating they apply. Texas beat us badly last year--in a season where the best wins they had were over West Virginia and Okie State, as they finished 6-7 with a whopping 59 yards of offense in their bowl loss to Arkansas. And that loss completely took all the positive air out of the bubble we had going after the HoD Bowl. It was just same ol' UNT again. And we went on to beat three dregs of FBS and a team in FCS that Denton Guyer would have pounded, while losing to every other FBS team on our schedule. But we got track and field, soccer, volleyball, softball, golf, and cross country paid for by those generous and thoughtful Longhorns in Austin!!

​I usually agree with you but I believe without the worst combined statistical quarterbacking performance I have ever seen, we would have had a decent shot to beat them. Maybe I'm a loon but I firmly believe that if DT plays that game instead of Greer/McNulty, we lose 31-14 at worst and if his passing opened up the run, I could see us winning 24-21 or something similar. Texas was not good but our atrocious quarterback play rendered our running game useless and somewhat deflated our defense. I do believe the defense gave max effort though, as evidenced by David Ash's fumble and subsequent retirement.

​I usually agree with you but I believe without the worst combined statistical quarterbacking performance I have ever seen, we would have had a decent shot to beat them. Maybe I'm a loon but I firmly believe that if DT plays that game instead of Greer/McNulty, we lose 31-14 at worst and if his passing opened up the run, I could see us winning 24-21 or something similar. Texas was not good but our atrocious quarterback play rendered our running game useless and somewhat deflated our defense. I do believe the defense gave max effort though, as evidenced by David Ash's fumble and subsequent retirement.

​Oh, I agree with you on your QB assessment for sure. But my point is that the absolute worst Texas offensive team I have seen from them since the SWC days still scored 38 points on us. As you mentioned, even with a better QB, against their worst squad in years, we still probably would have lost by a few TDs.

I just like the idea that if you are going to play a bodybag game, play it against a team not from anywhere close to here, preferably in the B1G or the Pac-12 or ACC. Get away from playing all the local P5 giants, like Texas, A&M, OU, LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama, all of whom have plenty of alumni and t-shirt fans in the area already. An ass-kicking by Michigan or Washington is still better than to get seal-clubbed by one of the Big XII/SEC giants that are close to the state. And as we watched with TCU, a team of Texans competes real well with kids from the north, west, and midwest if they are coached well...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1