Football Quotes

KRAM1

A few football quotes for the off-season lull:  but first a disclaimer...there were sent to me by a friend.  If any are misquoted...blame him...I am not taking the time to verify every one of these! :-)

"I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game."  Bear Bryant-Alabama

"At Georgia Southern we don't cheat.  That costs money and we don't have any." Eric Russell/GA Southern

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." Lou Holtz-Notre Dame & Arkansas

"When you win nothing hurts" Joe Namath-Alabama

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble the football" John Heisman

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall." Frank Leahy -Notre Dame

"I don't expect to win enough games to be put on probation.  I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation." Bob Devaney - Nebraska

"in Alabama, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in Bear Bryant." Wally Butts - Georgia

"Always remember Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David." Shug Jordan - Auburn

My favorite..... "I asked Darrell Royal, the coach of the Texas Linghorns, why he didn't recruit me.  He said, Well, Walt, we took a look at you, and you weren't any good."  .... Ha! Oklahoma State and the Dallas Cowboys beg to differ!

"Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands are not on the steering wheel." Bobby Bowden -Florida State

" If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education." Murray Warmath -Minnesota

"The only qualifications for a lineman are to be big and dumb.  To be a back, you just have to be dumb." Knute Rockne - Notre Dame

"We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking." John McKay - USC

OK....a little off season football humor...enjoy and Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 6

@KRAM1 , your favorite quote doesn't include who said it.   Maybe I should know, but not sure who Walt is. 

Walt Garrison of the Okie State and Dallas Cowboys fame....sorry. Thought my comments gave it away.  My bad!

Because, a decade after Dickey said it and got lambasted on this very board, Mac expressed the same sentiment and nobody blinked an eye

​If I cared to do the search for it, I think I could prove you wrong on that one.  It didn't go unnoticed.  It didn't get swept under the rug.  And if I recall, there was a little closed doors discussion with Mac about that.

• Upvote 1

Because, a decade after Dickey said it and got lambasted on this very board, Mac expressed the same sentiment and nobody blinked an eye

​I think you can dig up plenty of posts about Mac running out of excuses, and posts that wish he'd leave that woe-is-Denton message to be forgotten.

OldGuy posts the same thing, but I am not aware of any discussion behind closed doors.

Since it says football quotes but doesn't exclusively say coach quotes, I will include a player quote.

As a fan of the NFL rocks videos, here are some of my favorites:

"This isn't college, you're not at a homecoming. This is the NFL which stands for 'not for long' when you make those @#$! calls, I'll be sellin' groceries" -Jerry Glanville

"Our quarterback got clubbed in the face and the neck right there. He's gonna live, but that is a penalty" -Sam Wyche

And because I'm a fan of the Houston Oilers:

"Everyday I worked for him, he paid me." -Earl Campbell on the death of Bud Adams (I think it is awesome that is the nicest thing he could say about Bud). Being from Houston originally, I couldn't say even that much nice about him.