We stayed up! (Monty Python muted yay)

For soccer fans everywhere there is a very good book with the title "Staying Up". It focuses on the PL record run of Coventry City skirting relegation time and time again over a many year period. Very good read. May be out of print, but you can use Amazon's book search site to find one. If you like reading soccer related books.

And, of course the Sky Blues stayed up....until they didn't. Once again proving that if you don't have the cash you really cannot play with the big boys.

• Downvote 1

So soccer is now competing with cycling for the most corrupt sport?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/fifa-officials-arrested-federal-corruption-investigation/story?id=31326400

Rick

​FIFA Corruption has been the elephant in the room for quite some time.   Kinda like 'roids in baseball.  People ignore it, and it festers.   Hopefully they clean it up.

• Upvote 2

And today they vote back in the same guy that's been the leader the past 17 years.  That's an interesting way to clean up a mess.

Rick

If you kept up with soccer at any other time besides when there's controversy like this, you'd know why they (unfortunately) did.

Not really a big soccer fan. Thinking of going to my first FC Dallas game in a few weeks against the Dynamo. Last time I was at a game they were the Burn. Any suggestions?

Really wish they would have picked almost any other city in the area than Frisco. Pain in the ass and expensive to get to from any direction.

• Upvote 1

Not really a big soccer fan. Thinking of going to my first FC Dallas game in a few weeks against the Dynamo. Last time I was at a game they were the Burn. Any suggestions?

Really wish they would have picked almost any other city in the area than Frisco. Pain in the ass and expensive to get to from any direction.

Frisco is where the future growth lies, but dammit if that future growth is just a bunch of soccer moms then what good is it doing? 

Stand in the beer garden with the Dallas Beer Guardians for the best experience. 

​Frisco is where the future growth lies, but dammit if that future growth is just a bunch of soccer moms then what good is it doing? 

Stand in the beer garden with the Dallas Beer Guardians for the best experience. 

​It's just a crappy placement considering how far it is from everything except Far North Dallas. 47 mile drive from where I am in Fort Worth. Maybe we need an FC Fort Worth. That said, I do remember during that time the choices were pretty much stay at the Cotton Bowl or move to Frisco. It'd be nice to see a new stadium plan, even with this one only being 10 years old.

I'll check out the beer garden. Sounds fun.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

If you kept up with soccer at any other time besides when there's controversy like this, you'd know why they (unfortunately) did.

There's been controversy for years.  And I don't have to keep up with it to repost what was the news of the day on the sports channels.    

Soccer people seem pretty sensitive to me, not including all the touch and  flop going on during the games.

I don't know?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Another week, another disappointing result for FCD. 

​Disappointing but I think the Gold Cup break will work in our favor a little bit. At least this time we looked like we belonged on the same pitch as our opponents. I don't know if that says something about us, or San Jose though. The first red card on Sherrod was absolute garbage, and the one on Watson was pretty harsh. It's a shame that's what dictated the game more than the play itself. Gotta get Castillo back in the lineup though. Really hurts without him. 

Some people should just stay away from threads where they have no clue what they are talking about.  And probably don't know the difference between the Champions League and MLS.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Some people should just stay away from threads where they have no clue what they are talking about.  And probably don't know the difference between the Champions League and MLS.

So casual fans can't be proud of the national team getting their first ever win against Germany even if that win is a friendly?

• 4 weeks later...

Gold Cup opener tonight in Frisco. Be there or be square. AO will be rockin it. 

I would love to read discussion about the bigger tournaments outside of the World Cup.  I've heard of the Gold and Federations Cup, but no nothing about them except that one is FIFA and the other is CONCACAF (whatever that is).

Edited by greenminer

I would love to read discussion about the bigger tournaments outside of the World Cup.  I've heard of the Gold and Federations Cup, but no nothing about them except that one is FIFA and the other is CONCACAF (whatever that is).

CONCACAF - The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football. Headquartered in Miami, Florida with 41 member nations.

The US men are the reigning CONCACAF Champions.  It is a tournament of national teams from the North and Central American and Carribbean regions and is a "biggie". First game tonight for the US men against Honduras.  If you cannot be there in person, it is on Fox1 starting at 8:30pm. 

The US and Mexico have between them won all but one of the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournaments.

By the way... CONCACAF is associated with FIFA and is the third most successful FIFA Confederation.  CONCACAF  also conducts the World Cup qualifying tournament that the US plays in with the hopes of qualifying for the World Cup each four years.

Double header tonight in Frisco...first game kicks off at 6PM.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...