UNT pro day tidbits, including some performances

Harry

I believe Wintrich was exactly what we needed at that time.. Needed to teach kids how to compete and win year round, now we have made the hire that will come in and make these kids push weight, eat (sort of right) and really push us to the next level. I'll say this when I ate right worked out hard and took care of myself I was in some ridiculous shape. (5 FOOT 10 INCHES 175 lbs, and I threw up 225 8 times on bench) was my very best. Eating right, then working out, then sleeping right all combined me to be in the best shape of my life... Then I tore my labrum womp womp and that was all she wrote now I'm a fat washedup 26 year old

FIXED

Yea 5 reps was horrible unacceptable for him. But I been around antonio before he is a football and a competitor he has size to and yall don't forget he was are left tackle for four years straight and two of them years our o-line was in the top ten in allowed sacks I feel like a NFL team is going to pick him up from free agency and he going to be their lil project to get him stronger and put him on practice squad for a year. I have a strong feeling we are going to see him on Sundays in two or three years so watch what you say right now because if he was doing all these things in college only doing 5 reps on bench I can't wait to see him when a NFL TEAM get a hold to him and get him strong

Yea 5 reps was horrible unacceptable for him. But I been around antonio before he is a football and a competitor he has size to and yall don't forget he was are left tackle for four years straight and two of them years our o-line was in the top ten in allowed sacks I feel like a NFL team is going to pick him up from free agency and he going to be their lil project to get him stronger and put him on practice squad for a year. I have a strong feeling we are going to see him on Sundays in two or three years so watch what you say right now because if he was doing all these things in college only doing 5 reps on bench I can't wait to see him when a NFL TEAM get a hold to him and get him strong

It goes without saying that everyone here hopes the best for him. It was just a quick reaction that was/is warranted. It also could be a red flag towards our S&C program or a red flag to his individual work ethic. Or he simply could have slightly injured himself. I still want the best for him.

I agree with you its definitely a red flag I just wanted to make sure yall understand that he is still a good football player his just has a slower development this was a guy who had surgery on his knee one week and played against Tulane after a bye week I'm just saying know all the facts before you start bashing a guy before you know the facts he trained hard for this day his just a late bloomer

I agree with you its definitely a red flag I just wanted to make sure yall understand that he is still a good football player his just has a slower development this was a guy who had surgery on his knee one week and played against Tulane after a bye week I'm just saying know all the facts before you start bashing a guy before you know the facts he trained hard for this day his just a late bloomer

Agree 100%. Lookit the bench reps are just one component of his evaluation. What about the kids feet and his massive wingspan? Antonio was one of the best offensive tackles we have seen in quite some time and I know the majority of fans wish him the best.

Agree 100%. Lookit the bench reps are just one component of his evaluation. What about the kids feet and his massive wingspan? Antonio was one of the best offensive tackles we have seen in quite some time and I know the majority of fans wish him the best.

That was his problem when he came to UNT once he was strong enough play he took over the job for four years NFL Would love to have a young guy that can move and all they have to do is get him strong it's just going to be a hard road for him to get there but I believe a 100% he will make it

• Upvote 1

It's one thing convincing people on this board that he has trained hard for this, but convincing NFL teams that he trained hard is a different story. When they see a guy that size only put up 5 reps, they'll think he hasn't been training hard and it won't be easy to convince them otherwise. I don't really see any bashing of Johnson. If anyone, it's Wintrich, since his much lauded S&C program has produced subpar pro-day numbers, including this senior class who has had him for 4 years.

But hopefully someone gives him a chance. And our other guys. That's what we all want.

• Upvote 3

Wintrich leaving, when he did, really put these guys in a bad spot. The S&C coach usually has a program setup for guys to use prior to their Pro Day, that's how it was when Frank was here. The guys that couldn't afford to go outside NT, and don't have an agent to pick up those costs, suffer when this happens. This year, the guys lost a good two months of intense training on the drills they would be doing during their Pro Day and it showed.

Except Wintrich has been gone for months and even Lemon admitted he hasn't lifted since January.

It seems that they took a breath after the season. Can't do that.

He said "I have been working since January". I know it kind've sounds like "haven't" but he said "have" if you listen more closely.

Even if Wintrich has been gone for a while, he had these players from their freshman through senior seasons.

Wintrich leaving, when he did, really put these guys in a bad spot. The S&C coach usually has a program setup for guys to use prior to their Pro Day, that's how it was when Frank was here. The guys that couldn't afford to go outside NT, and don't have an agent to pick up those costs, suffer when this happens. This year, the guys lost a good two months of intense training on the drills they would be doing during their Pro Day and it showed.

But our players weren't putting up good weight-room numbers the past few years when Wintrich was here either. Edited by BillySee58

Are you sure? He was talking about taking time off from lifting right before that statement.

Yes. He said he had been lifting since January, but he had hoped giving his muscles some time to rest and rebuild would result in him hitting more than his max, which was 16 reps. He didn't think taking 2 months off and then trying to lift would result in him magically being stronger. What he most likely meant was that he had been lifting his tail off for a few months (since January) so he took a few days off before the pro day to give his muscles time to rest and rebuild. Not months off before lifting at the pro day.
  • Upvote 1

The difference between lifting on your own and working out with others, according to a plan, while being pushed by your dedicated coach is huge. It's not just lifting by the way, it's familiarizing yourself with the drills you will be performing and practicing them before the test so much that it becomes natural. That practice didn't happen this year. The strength of our players has not been questioned and their performance during the Pro Day did not paint an accurate picture of the NT S&C program.