New UNT helmet design by 3XL

Harry

I still don't understand what you're getting at. There is a huge population center that is commonly called "Michigan" by the local media of that area and the national media, yet that hasn't stopped the University of Michigan from marketing itself as "Michigan."

Ya, because they are Michigan, much like Texas is Texas. They have a brand. They aren't trying to establish a brand.

Also, those are state names, not the names of populous regions. People expect colleges to be named after states. They don't expect them to have the same name as populous areas.

Hence, there is no "University of Twin Cities" or "metroplex college".

that's correct...not on their helmet...but you will see their interlocked SC logo on their jersey and a lot of their spirit merchandise.
The Trojans are part of the 17% of P5's that use mascot only on their helmet & part of the 91% of P5's that use initialed logo (SC or USC) as a big part of their spirit gear. (see attached)

Ya, because they are Michigan, much like Texas is Texas. They have a brand. They aren't trying to establish a brand.

Also, those are state names, not the names of populous regions. People expect colleges to be named after states. They don't expect them to have the same name as populous areas.

Hence, there is no "University of Twin Cities" or "metroplex college".

But . . . we are the University of North Texas.

Well, is there a huge population center that is commonly called "Middle Tennessee," "Central Florida", or "Western Michigan" by the local media of that area and the national media?

If so, then they would be stupid to try to market a name better know for a different purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Tennessee - Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Florida - Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Michigan - not so much.

that's correct...not on their helmet...but you will see their interlocked SC logo on their jersey and a lot of their spirit merchandise.

The Trojans are part of the 17% of P5's that use mascot only on their helmet & part of the 91% of P5's that use initialed logo (SC or USC) as a big part of their spirit gear. (see attached)

Kinda like we have the interlocking NT as an alumni association emblem and on alumni association merch.

We were talking about helmets.

Kinda like we have the interlocking NT as an alumni association emblem and on alumni association merch.

We were talking about helmets.

not the same...our school can't use per our own Alumni Association...which is ridiculous....but it's on the letterman's jacket?

come on...90 you know me...helmets are simply a "gateway drug" to me...my name is 3XL and I have issues...

besides...you're screwing with me.

later you can fill in the SAME blank with....West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma....doesn't matter your argument sucks!

I think we're changing the subject when arguing the point of "North Texas gets misunderstood for a region instead of a school's name"

If your talking college sports, and we are, then when someone says "North Texas" they know exactly what college team Is being referenced.

No one say's or has ever said: "I enjoyed watching North Texas beat UNLV in the HOD Bowl"

......and the listening response was: "Oh yeah? Which team in north texas?"

Rick

• Upvote 2

The DFW contiguous cities are "The Metroplex". The region is North Texas.

"According to the North Texas Commission (NTC), the term originated from an ad agency's combination of the terms "metropolitan" and "complex". The NTC copyrighted[9] the term "Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex" in 1972 as a replacement for the previously-ubiquitous "North Texas", which studies had shown lacked identifiability outside the state. In fact, only 38 percent of a survey group identified Dallas and Fort Worth as part of "North Texas", with the Texas Panhandle also a perceived correct answer, being the northernmost region of Texas."

.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DallasFort_Worth_metroplex

I think we're changing the subject when arguing the point of "North Texas gets misunderstood for a region instead of a school's name"

If your talking college sports, and we are, then when someone says "North Texas" they know exactly what college team Is being referenced.

No one say's or has ever said: "I enjoyed watching North Texas beat UNLV in the HOD Bowl"

......and the listening response was: "Oh yeah? Which team in north texas?"

Rick

We were actually talking about helmets.

Sure, if you are talking about college sports and bring up North Texas, people will know through the context of that conversation what you mean.

The problem comes when trying to market "north Texas" as a brand with no sports context.

not the same...our school can't use per our own Alumni Association...which is ridiculous....but it's on the letterman's jacket?

come on...90 you know me...helmets are simply a "gateway drug" to me...my name is 3XL and I have issues...

besides...you're screwing with me.

later you can fill in the SAME blank with....West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma....doesn't matter your argument sucks!

The alumni and letterman's association are outside the university and so they don't have to worry about using the school's logo/word-marks. I seriously doubt the university even wants to use the interlocked NT since it doesn't come close to fitting in with the current font being used in today's logo scheme.

There is a good reason why you don't see UNTAA merchandize though and it's because the university doesn't want the interlocked NT to dilute the university's brand. I have one or two UNTAA shirts with the interlocked NT and the rest are of the current brand with a fee remaining old school logo shirts from before the SOW.

The Metroplex is what we locals call this area.

But "North Texas" is what this region is now known as nationally thanks to Jerry building the Death Star in Arlington. The SuperBowl, National Title Game, Final Four were all hosted by North Texas...not Arlington, Dallas or Fort Worth. With much, much more to come.

I would argue that because of Jerry World the term North Texas is on track to become a major regional reference much like Southern Cal.

If there was ever a time to piggy back on some free national marketing, its now.

• Upvote 1

It may not sway them, but is sure as hell can turn them away.... If you think otherwise you're crazy. Also, that's 5 kids out of how many thousands of recruits every year.

So you think since they are the only 5 interviewed, they are the only 5 that didn't let uniforms influence their choice?

My point was that 100% of the kids interviewed said that uniforms didn't matter. I have to believe that means that it doesn't matter for most kids.

Also, you don't think it works the opposite way, where the tricked up uniforms turn kids away??? Or are you telling me 100% of kids like the tricked up uniforms?

Just keep the SOW and let it become synonymous with North Texas, UNT, whatever. Quit changing it every 4 years where we never have an identity. Even the schools that trick it up have a logo that's consistent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Metroplex is what we locals call this area.

But "North Texas" is what this region is now known as nationally thanks to Jerry building the Death Star in Arlington. The SuperBowl, National Title Game, Final Four were all hosted by North Texas...not Arlington, Dallas or Fort Worth. With much, much more to come.

I would argue that because of Jerry World the term North Texas is on track to become a major regional reference much like Southern Cal.

If there was ever a time to piggy back on some free national marketing, its now.

Then we should integrate our branding/merchandising in correlation with North Texas. We are the college of North Texas, we are North Texas. If that theme is going to take flight such as SoCal took flight many moons ago then we might as well take flight with it.

So you think since they are the only 5 interviewed, they are the only 5 that didn't let uniforms influence their choice?

My point was that 100% of the kids interviewed said that uniforms didn't matter. I have to believe that means that it doesn't matter for most kids.

Also, you don't think it works the opposite way, where the tricked up uniforms turn kids away??? Or are you telling me 100% of kids like the tricked up uniforms?

Just keep the SOW and let it become synonymous with North Texas, UNT, whatever. Quit changing it every 4 years where we never have an identity. Even the schools that trick it up have a logo that's consistent.

Go youtube unveiled uniform reactions then come on here and tell me players don't care. Recruits might not make that an emphasis in an interview in fear of looking matrailistic, too soft, etc. but make no mistake players care and they care a lot. There is video after video of entire teams going crazy during uniform unveiling...example...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AcjJmn6PpxU

There are only about a million of these on youtube. Again, it's beyond irrelevant what a 17 year old senior in high school thinks while trying to make the perfect impression in an interview.

Uniforms matter...they just do.

Go youtube unveiled uniform reactions then come on here and tell me players don't care. Recruits might not make that an emphasis in an interview in fear of looking matrailistic, too soft, etc. but make no mistake players care and they care a lot. There is video after video of entire teams going crazy during uniform unveiling...example...

There are only about a million of these on youtube. Again, it's beyond irrelevant what a 17 year old senior in high school thinks while trying to make the perfect impression in an interview.

Again my point is that I don't really think uniforms play that big of a role in where a kid goes to school. Doesn't mean they don't care about uniforms. Doesn't mean they won't go crazy with their teammates when the latest uniform is unveiled. It just means that it's a fairly insignificant piece of the recruiting puzzle.

I just think it's ridiculous either way.

"I'm not going to Oregon because I don't like their uniforms." Pretty dumb if the Ducks would be a good fit for you.

or

"I'm going to Oregon because their uniforms are (fill in the slang word for cool)." Also dumb if you are not a good fit at the university.

But, hey, maybe I'm just giving these kids too much credit to think they wouldn't base such a major life decision on uniforms.

• Upvote 1

agree with Ben Gooding...as much as some on here may want to stick their head in the sand and say that uniforms are not a small factor in recruiting...they're wrong.

The proof is in the P5 college numbers.

When traditional powerhouse colleges like Michigan, Notre Dame & Oklahoma have an "alternate" uniform...admittedly for recruiting...then it's a factor.

Out the 65 P5 colleges...all but 4...Alabama, Southern California, Penn State & Texas have had an alternate uniform.(*in the 2014 season...USC had chrome facemask for some games & Texas had a metallic longhorn the last 4 or 5 games of 2014).

Plus part of these traditional schools draw "is" their "traditional" uniforms. What kid would not be excited to put on a storied uniform and play top tier football for a Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Texas or Alabama, etc. Reality is a majority of the D1 programs are not these elite 15 programs. The point is...whether it's traditional, an alternate or both...uniforms are a part of the equation.

hands down...I personally prefer Oklahoma & Notre Dame's traditional & boring uniforms over their alternates or Oregon's metal feathers or Maryland's "Medieval Times" uniforms.

as far as alternates...who cares...if your school has the budget for an alternate...do it.

It's fun for a game or two...most of the students, athletes & the fans like it.

Edited by 3XL

Since Mean Green is the brand that I thought the AD was trying to promote, I am a little surprised they haven't tried to play up a non SOW symbol. Something like the inter locking letters, battle flag, UNT, or some combination of those.

I like the SOW, but wouldn't mind seeing the interlocking NT as an alternate or the battle flag as an alternate. All three are cool and represent the school in some fashion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1