MGB: UNT players passed over for NFL Combine

Brett Vito

Would not be surprised from what I've heard if TE Marcus Smith doesn't get looks next year. How he develops is big. His body and athleticism is something NFL scouts look for. Athletic pass catching TEs are a premium in today's game. He just needs to refine those pass catching skills along with some of his route running.

It's a shame about Lemon. Had he excelled at OT his stock would've soared. He just struggled this year. Mainly with speed rushers. He should get a call after the draft though.

It would be nice to have a beat writer that doesn't think going to 4 crappy bowl games in consecutive years is some "miracle" they they have to put in "quotes".

Yes, because we have replicated that success so many times since (or before).

Only at North Texas do we $hit on the few successes we've had.

• Upvote 1

The move to OT + abysmal offensive performance/record likely sank Lemon's chances at getting an invite -- none of which was within his control.

The good news is, NFL teams are always on the hunt for linemen. He'll get some workouts and he'll have a chance to show them what those that follow NT football have known.

• Upvote 1

Yes, because we have replicated that success so many times since (or before).

Only at North Texas do we $hit on the few successes we've had.

I went to all four of those bowl games, those seasons were exciting and the bowl games fun, but in no way is it some miracle that we had that success. I expect us to win every game we play an I am disappointed when we do not. I have been disappointed many more times than not in the last decade. But I still expect wins. I guess I expect more than some.

• Upvote 2

I went to all four of those bowl games, those seasons were exciting and the bowl games fun, but in no way is it some miracle that we had that success. I expect us to win every game we play an I am disappointed when we do not. I have been disappointed many more times than not in the last decade. But I still expect wins. I guess I expect more than some.

This isn't a matter of expectations. I just take umbrage with referring to that bowl run as "four crappy bowl games" when those "crappy bowl games" are one of the few positive blips on our historical radar.

• Upvote 2

This isn't a matter of expectations. I just take umbrage with referring to that bowl run as "four crappy bowl games" when those "crappy bowl games" are one of the few positive blips on our historical radar.

In the grand scheme of college football, the New Orleans Bowl is a crappy bowl game, regardless if it is our line bright spot since returning to major college football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the grand scheme of college football, the New Orleans Bowl is a crappy bowl game, regardless if it is our line bright spot since returning to major college football.

Didn't seem crappy at all to me. I can't believe anyone could look at the CUSA bowl games and make such a statement. There are more bowls in CUSA. but it would be hard for me to make a case that any of them are better than the NO bowl if you take all factors into consideration such as location and cost to attend. By the way, I don't think we played one opponent in the NO Bowl that wasn't better than Nevada.

The NO Bowl win over Cincy in '02 was the single best football win since Fry left Denton. That team was good, barely lost to Ohio State who won the NCAA Cahmpionship that year, and had been co-champion of CUSA, when that meant something nationally.

The 2003 season where we beat Baylor and lost to Memphis in the NO Bowl was the best team that Dickey ever fielded, maybe the best we have fielded since Fry left (at least tied with 2013's team under Mac).

The 2004 season gave us the NCAAs leading rusher in Jamario Thomas, who was absolutely unreal once he got some playing time.

Yes, those SBC teams we beat were not great at all and we didn't get that much attendance for a team as good as we had in those years, but those three seasons were the best stretch of UNT Football since the end of the 1978 season. I don't fully credit 2001 as being that great, just because we had a losing season and got clobbered by Colorado State in the NO Bowl, leading to several national pundits to gripe about having a 5-6 team make a bowl, but at least it got several of our better players the experience they needed to get better in the following years. I still believe that 2001 is where Scott Hall realized that he could be the true leader of this team, even as a freshman.

The NO Bowl win over Cincy in '02 was the single best football win since Fry left Denton. That team was good, barely lost to Ohio State who won the NCAA Cahmpionship that year, and had been co-champion of CUSA, when that meant something nationally.

The 2003 season where we beat Baylor and lost to Memphis in the NO Bowl was the best team that Dickey ever fielded, maybe the best we have fielded since Fry left (at least tied with 2013's team under Mac).

The 2004 season gave us the NCAAs leading rusher in Jamario Thomas, who was absolutely unreal once he got some playing time.

Yes, those SBC teams we beat were not great at all and we didn't get that much attendance for a team as good as we had in those years, but those three seasons were the best stretch of UNT Football since the end of the 1978 season. I don't fully credit 2001 as being that great, just because we had a losing season and got clobbered by Colorado State in the NO Bowl, leading to several national pundits to gripe about having a 5-6 team make a bowl, but at least it got several of our better players the experience they needed to get better in the following years. I still believe that 2001 is where Scott Hall realized that he could be the true leader of this team, even as a freshman.

The 2003 team is the best team I've seen since I started following NT sports. 2003 would beat 2013 easily, IMO.