Another great MiniMac performance

H-towngreen

To me, the point isn't DT--its Coach Mac. This is his offensive gameplan. H eloves the Stanford model--beat you up with a strong running game a great defense, mixed with solid to spectacular special teams. The QB is a busdriver. This year's team has a porous defense against anyone with a pulse on offense, the special teams is decent, and the OLine hasn't played well for the most part, except against three bad to they-may-be the-worst-team-I've-seen-in-decades-bad programs.

Next season, these two things determine our success--whether our defensive front seven improve strength wise so as to put more pressure on the QB, and if we can develop a new OLine since so many guys will be done. If so, then we are a bowl team next year. If not, we win 3 or 4 games at the most in 2015. McNulty's play (or Greer's) won't determine that anymore than it has this season.

Who Dan McCarney needs to find and get here is a Scott Hall type QB--one who is gritty and just comes off as a leader, but can be a solid busdriver, too...

Count me in the "a win is a win" group, but we obvs need more wins. This season, better QB play could have won us some more games.

I feel pretty football confident, so I ask you, is a 55.9% completion percentage, 6.9 yards per pass attempts, 2 passing tds, and 2 INTs over the last 3 games acceptable?

Is that not complaint-worthy? (I should've photoshopped DTs face in).

areyounotentertained.jpg

UNT90 has ascended to the lofty heights of suite denizen. Now that he's experienced life behind the velvet rope, we may never hear from him again, being that we wouldn't be worth his aristocratic time.

I hope you knelt when you mentioned my Internet name.

It's now a requirement.

At least until the next home game, when I return to the dirty upper class of the club level...

I have major respect for them too. I'm just sick of everything coming back to DT on this board. They are the two that week after week keep bringing him up. He's gone, lets move on.

Lol. I mainly just defend him when people make dumb comparisons (like comparing AM to him this past game).

You know, like was done in the very first post in this thread...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I thought i saw the clown show on the suite level. I calmly closed the door, told myself "this can't be" and haven't spoken about it again till now.

Don't worry, it was a one game deal, my friend. There is no threat to the very, very small, close knit group of major athletic donors...

Just the way they like it....

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Coach Mac-"Andy Mac did a good job of managing the game. He reminded me a lot of Derek Thompson last year in that game. He didn't have super numbers or sensational cll-conference plays, but he really executed the plays the like we wanted him to."

We can't have quotes like that here!? What are you thinking?!?! Andy Mac will should never be compared to such a fine figure of a man that is DT.

Andy Mac did what we needed him to do. Let's hope for more!

The only way I will concede to the DT debate is when we have someone on here who post regularly with the handle of the likeness of one Johnny Quinn fan we have here. Until then... well..

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2

Ya, a coach who has failed miserably to replace a starting QB would never coach speak after a rare (this season) win, would he?

You guys....

Go back and look at the praise he heaped on DW after the McNeese game. 2 games later he was riding the pine.

Edited by UNT90

We can't have quotes like that here!? What are you thinking?!?! Andy Mac will should never be compared to such a fine figure of a man that is DT.

Andy Mac did what we needed him to do. Let's hope for more!

The only way I will concede to the DT debate is when we have someone on here who post regularly with the handle of the likeness of one Johnny Quinn fan we have here. Until then... well..

Some people are just too prideful to admit a mistake.

It's ok, we get it.

Not totally related to the QB situation at UNT, but it struck a chord with me.... Not verbatim, but close enough.

Troy Aikman was on the Musers this morning, talking about Mark Sanchez and his time with the Jets. He said that the Jets were using him as a Quarterback to not win a game, but to not lose a game. Largely depending on the running game an defense to win the game. And any coaching staff that uses a quarterback in that manner has no idea what they are doing. (In the NFL)

Seems pretty much exactly like what the coaching staff here is doing.

I trust coach Mac and the rest of the staff, but I sure as hell wish they would let the QB play to win (Use the most talented QB on the roster), and not play to not lose. All the while losing by 20 anyway.

DT wishes. He never even replaced Nathan Tune and his dog in the ol' not quite asleep yet in bed mental picture book.

• Upvote 1

Not totally related to the QB situation at UNT, but it struck a chord with me.... Not verbatim, but close enough.

Troy Aikman was on the Musers this morning, talking about Mark Sanchez and his time with the Jets. He said that the Jets were using him as a Quarterback to not win a game, but to not lose a game. Largely depending on the running game an defense to win the game. And any coaching staff that uses a quarterback in that manner has no idea what they are doing. (In the NFL)

Seems pretty much exactly like what the coaching staff here is doing.

I trust coach Mac and the rest of the staff, but I sure as hell wish they would let the QB play to win (Use the most talented QB on the roster), and not play to not lose. All the while losing by 20 anyway.

We've tried that.

This is what happens when that occurs this season:

Com/Att Yds Avg TD INT Fumble QBR

11/21 124 5.9 1 2 2 5.6

When your QB talent is lacking, the best you can do is have a nice bus driver. We had a bowl MVP bus driver last year.

We just found our best one after 2 failed attempts. Gotta get on the bus with him, or get left behind.

• Upvote 1

We've tried that.

This is what happens when that occurs this season:

Com/Att Yds Avg TD INT Fumble QBR

11/21 124 5.9 1 2 2 5.6

When your QB talent is lacking, the best you can do is have a nice bus driver. We had a bowl MVP bus driver last year.

We just found our best one after 2 failed attempts. Gotta get on the bus with him, or get left behind.

This is a question that is likely out of ignorance more than anything else.... Is the zone read really a system that is allowing a QB play to win? I suppose it is more than the bus driver system we played last year and with McNulty... But, when I think of allowing a QB to play to win, I don't think of the zone read type system we pushed with Dajon starting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ya, a coach who has failed miserably to replace a starting QB would never coach speak after a rare (this season) win, would he?

You guys....

Go back and look at the praise he heaped on DW after the McNeese game. 2 games later he was riding the pine.

I can see how we shouldn't take the word of a guy who spends hundreds (if not thousands) of hours more than we do around our quarterbacks when he compares Mini Mac to DT. Nah, we should stick to the "I made a statement, expected others to agree...and now my ego won't allow me to leave without validation from somebody, ANYBODY" opinions. That makes far more sense.

• Upvote 1

I can see how we shouldn't take the word of a guy who spends hundreds (if not thousands) of hours more than we do around our quarterbacks when he compares Mini Mac to DT. Nah, we should stick to the "I made a statement, expected others to agree...and now my ego won't allow me to leave without validation from somebody, ANYBODY" opinions. That makes far more sense.

Plenty of validation from knowledgable football fans and people who aren't trying to defend their pre-season position. Again, I said we would miss DT this year. We absolutely have missed him. Terribly.

I think Brett Vito even wrote an article about it...

Man, it's tough being right all the time, but I guess that is my burden to bear.

Edited by UNT90