Review: North Texas Has Ruined Ncaa Football

rcade

A blogger reviewing the NCAA Football videogame has a criticism of the game that ought to be of interest here.

http://nunesmagician.blogspot.com/2007/07/...s-quandary.html

I enjoy building up a program from the ashes ... and I love beating Miami and West Virginia on a regular basis. Seeing my team in the top ten, or even hoisting an imaginary national championship trophy (of which I have six in this dynasty) brings me more pleasure than I should ever care to admit.

But there is one thing that irks me to no end about this game. In the real world, when a non-BCS team makes it top the top levels of the game, I think its fantastic. In the video game world, it irks me to no end when Fresno State finishes #3 or Air Force wins the Sugar Bowl. It's unnatural. It's silly. It ruins the integrity of the game. (How did I become this way? Deep down, am I one of those cronies who wants to see Nebraska vs. Florida State every year and hates it when Boise State goes undefeated? Do I actually hate the idea of a playoff? Is the video me a conservative louse? Is he anti-abortion and wants forced prayer in schools? Does he think evolution is a farce? I fear that my video game self would find Rick Santorum to be "too liberal")

At the forefront of my hatred is North Texas. In reality, if the Mean Green ever made it to the Rose Bowl and defeated USC to end the season ranked #2 in the nation, I would consider it a victory for college football. In the video game, this happens every season and its slowly driving me insane. I've done many dynasties, not just with the 2007 version of the game but also with the 2006 version and for some reason, at some point North Texas becomes a college football powerhouse the likes of which makes Alabama and Michigan tremble. They have multiple Heisman winners, they've won the Sun Belt fifteen times in a row and they go undefeated more often than not.

I've always figured that the CEO of EA Sports went to North Texas or perhaps the programmers are from the greater-Denton area. I came across a message board where others plagued by the same North Texas dilemma think that it has to do with the game's inherent recruiting flaw that makes all teams from California, Florida and Texas become good (which explains why Cal, USC, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, Florida are always in the hunt for the title and North Texas, Florida Atlantic and Fresno State are always in the Top 25 and flirting with undefeated seasons).

I decided to keep track of things for a few seasons, see if it was just me getting hot and bothered over nothing or if this was an epidemic ripping apart my quaint 1 a.m. existence. Over the course of six seasons, North Texas finished in the Top 5 three times, went to five BCS bowls and went undefeated twice. I knew what needed to be done. Up until now I had only played the game to benefit teams. To turn mediocre programs in powerhouses. I was God. And as such, if I had the power to give success, I also had the power to take it. I took over at head coach at the University of North Texas. My reign only lasted two seasons before my contract was not renewed but in that time I made amazing strides. Worst recruiting class in the country both times, no conference titles and a combined record of 6-16.

I had ruined North Texas football. And it felt good.

ncaa06_Sun6_320x240.jpg

Man... I wish I had that much free time!! Three words -- Get A Life! :ph34r:

Cant beat free publicity :whistling1:

---Agree---

This absolutely means he is aware of us.

We are that good on EA sports?? If our players were as good as EA thinks then our coaching staff was underachieving.... which might have been the case. ......LOL....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

You know he does make some very good points. Inherently UNT and FAU should be able to recuit great classes especially after winning conference titles. It just takes a good motivated staff. A better question that he doesn't pose is why don't UTEP, Rice, SMU or Houston have the same results in the game, or for that matter in Florida, why not UCF or FIU? Plan and simple the market. Both FAU and UNT are in great markets to recruit and because of enrollment size in a great position to really take off. To me it seems like EA Sports includes a lot more factors into the game than we really realize.

This...from a man that spends half his day on a college athletics online forum? ;)

Ok... so I'm busted. Hey we all have our vices, don't we? B)

Are we running on the EA sport premise that the 2007 college football season is represented by NCAA 08? Just curious as you parallel Reality 06 and 07 representing the 2005, 2006 seasons. Just feel it may get a little confussing to this guy...although so might actual human interaction so your direct email may be entirely over his head. Aside from that minor concern...I love it.

My star UNT recruit for NCAA 2007 was named Schloppy Bush. He is a scrambler and helped lead the team to a perfect season but only a bid in the Walnut San Fransisco Bowl against a 6-6 Virginia team. We beat their asses good. Before that. in a stunning upset, Quinn won the Hesiman Trophy, despite the superior numbers of my man Bush. It was amazing. There was not a dry eye (or pants pocket) in the house.

The next year the team went undefeated with wins over Ole Miss, Virginia (damn auto-generator), and Cal (in Denton - WTF) and Bush was again passed up for one of his wide receivers. The team finished #11 and beat Arizona State in the Sugar Bowl.

Year three is just starting, but UNT is 4-0 with wins over BC and Miami on the road. They are only #23, but the world understands the full power of Schloppy Bush. He's from Iowa. It was good recruiting. He is also majoring in math and has a GPA that ranges between 3.0 and 3.9 depending on how much he trains vs. studying.

I only share this because video game world is infinitely more interesting that anything else until the season starts. I'd be happy to keep the world updated on the magical adventures of Schloppy Bush and the gang as soon as I have more time to play with myself. Schloppy Bush gets so much fan mail too - it's amazing how much the computer versions of you guys love him.

Reading comprehension = hard

I'll try again. With numbers.

1. He said the CEO of EA Sports is a UNT alum.

2. He didn't name him.

3. I found out the CEO of EA Sports is John Ricitello.

4. I started craving Twizzlers.

5. I found a bio of Ricitello.

6. I wished I had some Twizzlers.

7. His bio did not mention UNT.

8. I asked him to name the CEO, in case he's thinking about something else.

9. I remembered what Dickey did with the black uniforms and got mad again.

10. Mmm, Twizzlers.

11. You posted "Reading comprehension = hard."

12. I interpreted this to be a knock on my superior UNT-educated mind.

13. I posted this comment.

14. I went to get some Twizzlers.

I'll try again. With numbers.

1. He said the CEO of EA Sports is a UNT alum.

2. He didn't name him.

3. I found out the CEO of EA Sports is John Ricitello.

4. I started craving Twizzlers.

5. I found a bio of Ricitello.

6. I wished I had some Twizzlers.

7. His bio did not mention UNT.

8. I asked him to name the CEO, in case he's thinking about something else.

9. I remembered what Dickey did with the black uniforms and got mad again.

10. Mmm, Twizzlers.

11. You posted "Reading comprehension = hard."

12. I interpreted this to be a knock on my superior UNT-educated mind.

13. I posted this comment.

14. I went to get some Twizzlers.

Oh, I was supporting you. But, this list was a nice payoff, so maybe I will start disagreeing with you more to produce more lists in the future.

Take a position and I'll disagree. Go.

rcade vs. Quoner in a cage, Texas Death Match rule. For the most sarcastic on GMG.com.

I'd purchase that pay-per-view, or can we get it for free?

Damn, when do two-a-days start. This off-season stuff is starting to suck.

rcade vs. Quoner in a cage, Texas Death Match rule. For the most sarcastic on GMG.com.

I'd purchase that pay-per-view, or can we get it for free?

Damn, when do two-a-days start. This off-season stuff is starting to suck.

It is? I thought it was just getting good.

It's been building to a nice climax... or maybe it's just me...