Juco Cody Hayes OL (Navarro ) - SIGNED LOI

TheReal_jayD

10 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Jesus, can we not get the current uniform on official visit items?

I was actually giving them props for upgrading the whole lanyard thing since 2013...then you bring up that old outdated uniform.  Thats not even the 2013 version. It's older.  Thats horrible.  Things like this doesn't even cost money either.  It's just bad decision making.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

4 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I was actually giving them props for upgrading the whole lanyard thing since 2013...then you bring up that old outdated uniform.  Thats not even the 2013 version. It's older.  Thats horrible.  Things like this doesn't even cost money either.  It's just bad decision making.

Putting a UNT great and Olympian on your recruiting lanyard is a bad decision? I'm sure there are Zo, Oliwale (sp), Roberson, Akunne pics and NFL pics too. I like it. 

• Upvote 7

I get that it's Quinn...still a bad choice.  Should be current players that are in the NFL.  

A picture of Zac Orr fulfills a lot more criteria.   Better uniform, better season 2013, bowl winning season, player currently in the NFL, player played high school at a local powerhouse, player that is currently visible on twitter...easy choice.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, GOMG2013 said:

I get that it's Quinn...still a bad choice.  Should be current players that are in the NFL.  

A picture of Zac Orr fulfills a lot more criteria.   Better uniform, better season 2013, bowl winning season, player currently in the NFL, player played high school at a local powerhouse, player that is currently visible on twitter...easy choice.

This. Or Dunbar. I'm not a Cowboy fan, but that's gotta count for something to many of these kids.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Putting a UNT great and Olympian on your recruiting lanyard is a bad decision? I'm sure there are Zo, Oliwale (sp), Roberson, Akunne pics and NFL pics too. I like it. 

This is a decision an old person would make.  A very old alum not connected to today's youth.  Quinn isn't horrible, but this is 2016 man.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, GOMG2013 said:

This is a decision an old person would make.  A very old alum not connected to today's youth.  Quinn isn't horrible, but this is 2016 man.

I bet UT has pushed Earl Campbell to the side. Your comment above is ridiculous. Should we disconnect with Mean Joe too?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This. Or Dunbar. I'm not a Cowboy fan, but that's gotta count for something to many of these kids.

For real.  Forgot about Dunbar.  And the background should have a faded black and white picture of the player in the NFL uniform.  You don't want a situation where someone asks, who the heck is this?  If they do happen to Google the player, something good should come up.

It shouldn't be this hard.  

These are comments some wet behind the ears young alum would make. Learn to respect your past and those that have come before you. I bet something impressive comes up should you Google Johnny Quinn. This is the most ridiculous thing to complain about. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I bet UT has pushed Earl Campbell to the side. Your comment above is ridiculous. Should we disconnect with Mean Joe too?

Really...Earl freaking Campbell...you are a joke.  Earl is a legend.  

Mean Joe Greene is more visible than Quinn.  Mean joe is a better choice if you are gonna go nostalgia and old school.  Because of the NFL network and replays, more kids probably know who Mean Joe is vs Johnny Quinn.  

Stone Cold might get a better response.

How can you not see this as a potential swing and a miss.  This is geared toward 16, 17, 18 year olds!!!!  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

These are comments some wet behind the ears young alum would make. Learn to respect your past and those that have come before you. I bet something impressive comes up should you Google Johnny Quinn. This is the most ridiculous thing to complain about. 

Time and a place. Not Quinn's fault the jerseys back then are not nearly as appealing to high school kids in 2016 as the ZO or Dunbar era jerseys. We're talking about which picture should be best for their lanyards. Not saying Quinn and any other players before him shouldn't be revered.

Trying to get recruits here, not make sure we pay respects to all eras.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Time and a place. Not Quinn's fault the jerseys back then are not nearly as appealing to high school kids in 2016 as the ZO or Dunbar era jerseys. We're talking about which picture should be best for their lanyards. Not saying Quinn and any other players before him shouldn't be revered.

Trying to get recruits here, not make sure we pay respects to all eras.

This.  If we walked around campus and asked the student body who to use, most of them would pick a recent player.

Sometimes you have to know when your time is up.  It's hard.  I had a hard time admitting I was outdated.  Whoever is making decisions in the AD office needs to consult younger people who are in with the times.

Can our coaches even elaborate on who Quinn is if a recruit asked?  Who is this old school dude?  Did he play in the league?  Is this the best player they could come up with?  

As soon as I walk into the athletic facility, there should be lifesize cutouts of Dunbar, Orr, Robinson, and Ozwale. 

Current NFL players, in current NFL uniforms, that they can follow and watch.  Players they can see on social media.  How much does a fathead cost. These guys should be all over the wall.  Might not be enough time and money to put them all over the stadium, but some quality fatheads should cost about as much as a fire RV banner.  

What they really should do is find a player who played a similar position. Brian waters would have made more sense in this case. Yes, older but had a great nfl career. Maybe put all the years he was a pro bowler. Johnny quinn makes no sense for this guy. For rbs, TEs, and WRs you have dunbar and olawale. On defense you get zo and Robertson and some others. Relate to their positions. And unless the player was a legend, nobody who player past 2000.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

This has to be one of the dumbest complaints ever.  I am sure these young men are looking at the picture on the lanyard, going "who the hell is that?!" and choosing not to commit.  If it were me, I might take the time to learn something about the person in the picture, or to be quite honest, I would probably not even care.  I personally think JQ is a perfect person to honor.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

If it were me, I might take the time to learn something about the person in the picture, or to be quite honest, I would probably not even care.

Checkmate...

Either someone would have to tell you about the player...kinda lame when other schools in Texas can roll out known legends, HOF, and current stars.

But the whole thing that sums it up Is your last part about not caring.  Thats it in a nutshell...it needs to be someone they would care to know about...

• Upvote 1