• Portland St - Oct 10
    • WKU - Oct 15
    • UTSA - Oct 31
    • UTEP - Nov 28

This could rely on several factors.

1.Weather

2. If the team has a winning record

3. What time the port state game is

4. whether or not we beat SMU, The biggest promoted game for us this year.

I think my number two factor is the most important, I picked UTSA, mainly on the basis that we will have a good win to loss record going in that game. (and revenge for our close losses to them) If that is not the case, I might just go with Port State.... based on the homecoming situation.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

No brainer, Rice. We should be coming off W vs a team that most hate and Rice is the home opener the week after. There are no conflicting events going on that weekend and if this game was a 6pm kickoff I believe we would seriously flirt with our first sellout of Apogee. Nevertheless, IF we beat smut I expect something in the area of 24-26k for our home opener. If it's a nice cloudy day I wouldn't be surprised to see more. No game will top that unless we have a strong team. If we have a strong team the UTEP/utsa game might, but those are on conflicting weekends so I wouldn't expect it. 

• Upvote 1

I picked WKU for a couple of reasons.  If we start off the season well, beating SMU, Rice and playing Iowa close etc that WKU game could be a BIG game with a lot on the line.

I agree that UTSA could be a big game but the Halloween thing just worries me.

UTEP normally would have been my pick but attendance wanes as the year goes on, even when you have a decent year.  Nov 28th is a tough date to swallow and yes weather could play a factor as well.

This is one of the weirder schedules I have seen.  Love having 3 Oct games because the weather should be better but having only one home game in September is tough for anyone.

Portland State could be a darkhorse on this for the fact it is Homecoming.  We always have good turnouts for those homecoming games.  I agree that Rice makes sense but the 1:30 start time in mid September is concerning.

I picked WKU for a couple of reasons.  If we start off the season well, beating SMU, Rice and playing Iowa close etc that WKU game could be a BIG game with a lot on the line.

I agree that UTSA could be a big game but the Halloween thing just worries me.

UTEP normally would have been my pick but attendance wanes as the year goes on, even when you have a decent year.  Nov 28th is a tough date to swallow and yes weather could play a factor as well.

This is one of the weirder schedules I have seen.  Love having 3 Oct games because the weather should be better but having only one home game in September is tough for anyone.

The WKU game will have the largest student section of the year it being on a Thursday and still class on Friday, but not enough alum will make this game bc of whatever excuse they decide to dish out. 

• Downvote 1

Rice.

A different ranking, in order of which team brings the most fans (from most to least):

1. UTEP

2. Rice

3. UTSA

T-4. Portland State

T-4. WKU

If the 100 fans that Rice brings are more than our alleged rival UTSA brings then our rivalry is in trouble.

Oh, I'll go with UTEP in the hope that the game actually means something. It'll be half empty otherwise.

I think we will have a good crowd at SMU but honestly it will not be more than any of our home games.

I was just kidding on the SMU game, since its in Dallas and we supposedly only get people to watch us in the Metroplex because getting to Denton is just too hard.

Rice will get students out and Dentonites out, since its an SWC team. I'll say it will have over 20k. The next best attended game will be UTSA on Halloween, probably at 18k, then. After that, the WKU game will get 16-17k, as will Portland State. Then, UTEP game will have around 10-12k.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My vote was WKU

I believe if they come into this game undefeated (6-0) they could quite possibly be ranked in the top 25.  That could potentially bring people in the stadium that wouldn't normally be attending.  They would have beaten Vanderbilt and Indiana (Top opponents) hopefully that would be enough while piggybacking off of last years finish to land them in the top 25.

I know its a Thursday night but i can push through 1 day of being drowsy at work on Friday if it goes late. 

We can be no worse than 0-1 for Rice, plus it's the first home game of the season, plus it's played in early early October, so it won't be that hot. 

We may only draw 16k for homecoming

if we are 0-1, I predict less than 15K for RICE . Losing to SMU will not set well with fans or students and the Denton crowd does not realize that UNT actually fields a FB team so they are not a factor either way

• Downvote 2

Portland State because of Homecoming.

Rice if we beat SMU AND daytime temperature is relatively mild.

WKU on a Thursday night is tough for alumni outside of Denton.

UTSA on Halloween should be in top three attendance if promoted and team is playing well.

UTEP on Thanksgiving weekend with many students gone will be tough draw, unless a championship is on the line.

What we really need is for C-USA to break the year-to-year pattern that has Texas opponents all away or all home.

• Upvote 1

Portland State because of Homecoming.

Rice if we beat SMU AND daytime temperature is relatively mild.

WKU on a Thursday night is tough for alumni outside of Denton.

UTSA on Halloween should be in top three attendance if promoted and team is playing well.

UTEP on Thanksgiving weekend with many students gone will be tough draw, unless a championship is on the line.

On the flip side, just to play devil's advocate, what if these things happen: It rains on homecoming, its blast-furnace hot in the middle of the afternoon for Rice, and we are finishing off a season with about 3 wins or so when UTEP comes to town after Turkey Day.

If the above scenario occurred, its very possible that are best attended game won't get beyond 17-18k, with that last game not breaking 10k butts in seats.

• Upvote 1

According to the first site I went to, the average temperature in DFW for September 19 is 86 degrees.  A million things could happen to effect game attendance.  Rain, above average heat, some kind of news event that distracts people, etc.  However, all things being equal, the first home game of the season ought to bring out people we might never see again.  Oh, and, we must beat Southern Meth. 

GO MEAN GREEN