Verdict is in on the 2014 North Texas Defense

ColoradoEagle

I continue to have concern because of a lack of consistent pressure on the QB against anyone not named We Suck At Football or We Really Suck At Football.

I am also concerned with ML play and a small DL wearing down against the run. Safety plays was also terrible in this game. Getting sucked up against the play action and over pursuing on outside runs, leading to a couple of huge plays.

I don't see the same discipline on D that I saw last year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I continue to have concern because of a lack of consistent pressure on the QB against anyone not named We Suck At Football.

I am also concerned with ML play and a small DL wearing down against the run. Safety plays was also terrible in this game. Getting sucked up against the play action and over pursuing on outside runs, leading to a couple of huge plays.

I don't see the same discipline on D that I saw last year.

yeah, much like the famed 'Tampa 2' this whole defense is designed around the d-line getting pressure on the qb by the 4 d-lineman... when we don't (like today)... it gets us burned

did we even touch the QB today?

yeah, much like the famed 'Tampa 2' this whole defense is designed around the d-line getting pressure on the qb by the 4 d-lineman... when we don't (like today)... it gets us burned

did we even touch the QB today?

But, but, but we had 10 sacks against We Really Suck At Football!

• Downvote 1

The edge is rarely set on run plays and that is concerning. Most concerning to me. That happens when DE's are way undersized and lb's running around clueless. I was optimistic to blame the O after the Tech game for the bad performance on defense, not any more. No edge set means at minimum 4-6 yards a carry.

Also, burn Goree's RS. I don't care how far into the season we are, Harris and DW need help.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The edge is rarely set on run plays and that is concerning. Most concerning to me. That happens when DE's are way undersized and lb's running around clueless. I was optimistic to blame the O after the Tech game for the bad performance on defense, not any more. No edge set means at minimum 4-6 yards a carry.

Also, burn Goree's RS. I don't care how far into the season we are, Harris and DW need help.

If the coaching staff thought Goree was ready, he would be on the field.

See Ivory, Wilson, and several others for examples.

But, but, but we had 10 sacks against We Really Suck At Football!

Sacks were irrelevant today. They could have ran the ball 70 times today and the outcome would have been no different aside from TOP. Still optimistic about the team and DW. I think the tune around here will change after the UAB game.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sacks were irrelevant today. They could have ran the ball 70 times today and the outcome would have been no different aside from TOP. Still optimistic about the team and DW. I think the tune around here will change after the UAB game.

Wow.

I guess you missed the entire 1st half, eh?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

If the coaching staff thought Goree was ready, he would be on the field.

See Ivory, Wilson, and several others for examples.

Thats great and all, burn his RS. The coaching staff also thought Greer was our best shot at winning football games. So, take that with a grain of salt. Harris needs help and DW has to have more than 1 competent receiver. Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2

Wow.

I guess you missed the entire 1st half, eh?

No, watched the game. We could have sacked him 5 times but their running game was overpowering us and it was embarrassing. They could have pounded it on us all game long. So I am not nearly concerned about the pass rush as I am about the defensive front 7.

Thats great and all, burn his RS. The coaching staff also thought Greer was our best shot at winning football games. So, take that with a grain of salt. Harris needs help and DW has to have more than 1 competent receiver.

So you are saying you know better than the coaches who should be starting?

Ok.

So you are saying you know better than the coaches who should be starting?

Ok.

Greer vs Dajon. Not even close. If Goree can input himself into this offense and be a threat then it needs to happen. That's all I'm saying. But to answer your question, I knew that DW was our best option at QB right when the final whistle was blown at the HoD. The spring game confirmed that. I am aware of the fact that the coaching staff sees Goree in practice every day and theoretically knows if he ready or not. But if he can compliment Harris well on the other side of the field burn his RS, that's all I'm saying. Bc if you maybe didn't catch the whole game DW trusts Harris and only Harris and that's a problem.

I think the jury is still out. No verdict yet. The 'undersized' D-Line evidence sure was damning tonight though.

Seemed like every time Coleman (or that other RB who looked just as good) touched the ball, the O-line in front of him had already pushed our D-line back a yard or 2 with a decent-to-excellent hole to hit. Very few times were our LBs there to meet him at the original LOS or behind.

2 big pass TDs because safeties crept in for run support (they had to, the front 7 were getting manhandled). Anyone want to argue the cushion Jones/Buyers give anymore? It's given because it's needed. If you wan't press coverage with safety run support, then you want an immediate opposing TD because Jones & especially Buyers can't cover 1-on-1 down the field.

What was uncharacteristic were the missed tackles, especially the one Lee missed on that long TD run from the backup RB. Seemed like the only guy consistently hitting,wrapping, & taking to the ground was Akunne, & he can't be everywhere.

All-in-all, I highly doubt we see that kind of stinker performance again this year.

Neither of them have done much of anything. We miss Zach Orr terribly.

I was just thinking this same thing. We have no playmaker at LBer. i consistently saw our guys overrunning plays, in bad spots, & getting blocked. Now I know certain schemes & plays will call for a Lber to play certain gaps but the read/react time just seemed to put our LBers a step behind on every critical play (when the game was still in reach).

I was at the game and had a sideline pass. It's hard to beat bigger,stronger, faster. When we loaded the box to stop the run, they successfully passed. When we played back to defend the pass, they successfully ran. Until our offense gets it going, the defense will get the most minutes and tire faster. We are a young team and will, in my opinion,get better, but the growing pains will hurt.

• Upvote 2

I was at the game and had a sideline pass. It's hard to beat bigger,stronger, faster. When we loaded the box to stop the run, they successfully passed. When we played back to defend the pass, they successfully ran. Until our offense gets it going, the defense will get the most minutes and tire faster. We are a young team and will, in my opinion,get better, but the growing pains will hurt.

That's what I've been thinking about this season, especially losing so many last year and having the second-fewest returning players in the nation. Experience takes time, and it's not a quick fix - especially at the G5 level. At minimum we should see a solid foundation laid that will pay dividends in the next 2-4 seasons. Key thing is to create a conveyor belt so we're not consistently up-and-down year to year. That hurts recruiting.

But Mac needs to explain why his teams never seem to be able to come off a bye week without laying an egg in some form or fashion.

Though Mac is right - we need more size on the DL: but that's been an issue since he arrived. Guess with the premium on good DL they're hard to bring to somewhere like Denton.

• Upvote 2

Jesus you people are miserable. The verdict is in after 5 games? If that were the case after 5 games last year the verdict would have been that we sucked hard. Lots of football left to be played. Sometimes I feel as if some of you have never played organized sports in your entire lives.

Other than the loss to Georgia, the defense last year never gave up more than 27 points. Even if you throw out the 38 scored by UT-Austin, the 2014 D has now given up 42 to La Tech and 49 to Indiana. I hope no one honestly expects a dominating performance against UAB; you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Here's what they've done so far this year:

48 against Troy

34 against Mississippi State (who just held aTm to 31)

20 against FIU (who's only given up more than 20 this year to Pitt and Louisville)

42 against WKU

• Upvote 1

Fixed.

I could see us never playing a close game this year, blowing people out one week and getting blown out the next. Hell, we are almost halfway there already.

That is what I said before the season started. In games we have a favorable matchup, we are going to look good, but when we look bad, we are going to get blown.

I thought it would be the offense looking weaker and the defense holding its own. Looks like its going to be the opposite.