Shawn Mckinney speaks on instagram

GreenBat

http://instagram.com/p/sbGbQCzTPe/

meangreen_53
After watching film it makes me sick that people are saying our QB's are the blame that we weren't successful as a offense against Texas. When truly I and my unit are the blame, I didn't play up to my capabilities. But this experience humbled me and my unit and we are hungrier than ever. I will never perform that way again. We will get back on top. I am an Oline man and we are the first to blame and the last to praise. #movingforward

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

meangreen_53

After watching film it makes me sick that people are saying our QB's are the blame that we weren't successful as a offense against Texas. When truly I and my unit are the blame, I didn't play up to my capabilities. But this experience humbled me and my unit and we are hungrier than ever. I will never perform that way again. We will get back on top. I am an Oline man and we are the first to blame and the last to praise. #movingforward

• Upvote 4

meangreen_53

Very classy.

• Upvote 4

Notice McNulty snagging a low snap

Shawn is the Right guard, not the center. Try again.

I am sorry for the mixup and not realizing just the picture posted, not the whole instagram post. Posted it before I stepped out to eat.

You have to own up and take responsibility when thing don't get done -- and then you can work on doing better. Everything we have heard after the game from the coaches and team is that it was unacceptable and they are working to do better. As a fan that is all you can ask for. Good job Snacks!!

This player's statement makes a lot more sense to me than the coach saying the QB competition is open. I do not want the competition to be open going into the second - and far more important - game. I accept that the QB success depends a lot on the success of the players around him at their jobs. Nobody is going to step in there and make up for it by themselves if there are a lot of other things going wrong.

I would say this specific to the QB the other night: change the way they are doing handoffs cause you are giving the defense several extra seconds of telling them exactly what you are about to do. Now maybe there were a bunch of failed exchanges in practice or something but you may as well risk it. It looked like middle school football. If that's where we're at let me know so I can spare myself the 500 mile trip this week.

• Upvote 1

I would say this specific to the QB the other night: change the way they are doing handoffs cause you are giving the defense several extra seconds of telling them exactly what you are about to do. Now maybe there were a bunch of failed exchanges in practice or something but you may as well risk it. It looked like middle school football. If that's where we're at let me know so I can spare myself the 500 mile trip this week.

Great point. Very slow developing plays Saturday night.

I commend McKinney for doing this.

Those counters out of the I are slow developing bc the weak side guard pulls and they have to give him time to cross the center and other guard. They were kind of effective against ut actually and will be ultra effective in conference play, as they were last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am just talking about holding the ball way out there for the RB to see for three seconds. If the RB needs that the RB is doing something wrong.

I believe the QB does this as part of the zone read so that the QB can keep his eyes downfield to read rather to give the back the ball or keep it himself.

But I could be wrong.

I believe the QB does this as part of the zone read so that the QB can keep his eyes downfield to read rather to give the back the ball or keep it himself.

But I could be wrong.

That makes sense but that means frequently you have to not hand it off. NT just kept handing it off that way so the defense knew.

Yes, that would be considered bad game planning/adjusting/play calling. McNulty did keep it once and got a 5-6 yard gain. But yes, total waste of time especially when guys are breathing down your neck. I am very surprised with the amount of blitzes thrown at the O we didn't see any screens of any kind. Or am I not remembering?

• Downvote 2

Yes, that would be considered bad game planning/adjusting/play calling. McNulty did keep it once and got a 5-6 yard gain. But yes, total waste of time especially when guys are breathing down your neck. I am very surprised with the amount of blitzes thrown at the O we didn't see any screens of any kind. Or am I not remembering?

That is an NT tradition since Dickey, the elusive screen pass. It may as well be alien technology. On this night when balls were being tipped up by receivers etc., there was a fear of any pass. Apparently justified and maybe kept it from being 76 points against. However to win NT must pass so it might have been better in the long run to get some actual game work in on it. The defense is good now. As little help as they got from the offense I would say they did alright so NT should take some risk.