Gross misunderstanding

Harry

Byron Gross looked back from his spot on the turf at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium and immediately thought North Texas was one step closer to arguably the biggest upset program history.

Only a few seconds remained in UNT’s 1988 game that day at Texas — the state power that operates on a different level of college football in just about every way — when Longhorn quarterback Shannon Kelley lofted a ball toward the back of the end zone.

Texas receiver Keith Cash set out on a dead sprint down the sideline from the 10-yard line, trying to get to that ball before it hit the ground.

“I looked at the trajectory of the ball and didn’t think he had a chance to get to it,” said Gross, a star UNT linebacker.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20140827-football-gross-misunderstanding.ece

I was sitting in the northeast end zone seat about halfway up (the track was still around the field) and even I could tell Cash was out of bounds. One thing I forgot until watching the recent video/news coverage of this game was the student/fan reaction to winning the game. They acted like they just won the Southwest Conference Title. The 1988 North Texas Football team had a great team that year. I just wished they could have advanced past Marshal in the Div. 1AA playoffs.

• Upvote 1

I was sitting in the northeast end zone seat about halfway up (the track was still around the field) and even I could tell Cash was out of bounds. One thing I forgot until watching the recent video/news coverage of this game was the student/fan reaction to winning the game. They acted like they just won the Southwest Conference Title. The 1988 North Texas Football team had a great team that year. I just wished they could have advanced past Marshal in the Div. 1AA playoffs.

I was sitting there also. I have a tape of the game and it is abundantly clear that Cash was out of bounds. No way it would not be overturned with instant replay. Even my Longhorn friends admit that.

I was at a family reunion in Oklahoma listening to the game on the Radio. I had been accepted at Texas for the Spring, but changed my mind on that day and enrolled in NT. That game was big in my life.

• Upvote 1

It wasn't a thread it was a news paper article. But why are you counting?

Rick

Not counting. Not sure you really got where I was going. We have, quite successfully, beat the hell out of this topic over the past few weeks. We just keep talking about it over and over, as if somehow this will change the past. We could just let this ride off into the sunset and quit reminding ourselves of how bad this was, but we insist on bringing it up all the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not counting. Not sure you really got where I was going. We have, quite successfully, beat the hell out of this topic over the past few weeks. We just keep talking about it over and over, as if somehow this will change the past. We could just let this ride off into the sunset and quit reminding ourselves of how bad this was, but we insist on bringing it up all the time.

So you want Harry to ignore newspaper reports whenever they involve our past and include stories and interviews of our Hall Of Famers recollecting the great games they played in etc...Got it!

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You're expecting us not to talk about it when the players involved are being interviewed about the subject?

This game is one of the most infamous in UNT history. Of course fans aren't going to let that go.

• Upvote 4

The social discourse on this forum needs a serious adjustment. Now I know why I only visit the forum here a lot less the past 10 years or so.

The Harry vs Scotty days compare nothing to what's being posted this day in age.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The social discourse on this forum needs a serious adjustment. Now I know why I only visit the forum here a lot less the past 10 years or so.

Don't be like that, random guy with 94 comments. Tell us what we can say to make you stay.

This is just like when my dad left.