Picture of actual new UNT 2014 Football Helmet

Harry

It's not chrome. It's a high gloss finnish - like most teams use - but it's a lot shinier than our previous helmet that wasn't matte, but pretty flat and plastic looking. Even the previous helmet had some reflective qualities to it. I think the black uniform is retired, and we will have new alternate this year. I took RVs comments as: new uniforms are coming next year.

Edited by James329

He made it sound like we are just replenishing the existing this year and will get something new next year since it will have to be different either way. Probably best not to do a redesign this season when we are sure that we would have to next year.

Transcript from the podcast:

Dan's answer to the question is, "We're just not gonna throw stuff out there and say this is what it is."

I will tell you this, and people might derive something from this, we talked to Nike this year as we were replenishing uniforms because we lost so many kids and you have to reorder stuff. And talked about different uniforms. And one of the things that we found out in the process is that Nike is going to change where their manufacturing is done in the process. And so we may get a variation in uniform because of it. We know that. So one of the things we had to be careful of was, do we go out and buy a bunch of new uniforms this year and then turn around, because we can't fill with the same uniforms the following year, then you have to go out and buy whole new sets of uniforms.
Which we know we're gonna have to do in 2015, because again the manufacturing process is changing. Coming from different people. And so even though it might be, they might try to replicate, we're not gonna take any chances. Every uniform is gonna look the same.
But you know there are some things that people have wanted. And I hope people understand that we have tried to acquiesce sometimes to the fans, but it's more about the kids. We brought out the black uniforms last year, we brought out the black helmets at the bowl game which CBS got on the national profile.
And you'll see some...I will say you'll see some changes this year, but I really can't say what they are.
I work with Dan on that, I work with all our coaches on the uniforms. But you know, when he says, "Hey we're just gonna wait, I don't want the kids to know, I don't want anybody..." So, I acquiesce to his wishes.

Even when I heard it at the time, it sounded like he was trying to say, "Yes, we're getting new uniforms," without saying exactly that.

Transcript from the podcast:

Even when I heard it at the time, it sounded like he was trying to say, "Yes, we're getting new uniforms," without saying exactly that.

Based on your highlighted points, I definitely see how you could take it that way. But he says the manufacturing process is changing in 2015, and that's given as the reason why they won't be buying a bunch of new uniforms in 2014. Why would they make the change now when it would have to be something else altogether next year?

I took that to mean that where our 2011-2013 uniforms, specifically, were made is going to be changing. Not that Nike is changing all uniforms. If that were the case, I can't imagine why any school would be rolling out new uniforms this year. I've seen several G5 schools roll out some new Nike uniforms, and I doubt they'd do it if they knew they'd have to change again next year.

Could be wrong, though.

I think it should be added too, that we finally look the part. We've got a recognizable logo that the nation can remember and we're using it in the most appropriate ways possible. When you dress like a champion, you play like a champion. Great job on this helmet.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think the SOW is to big on the helmet?

personally I think we have one of the worst D-1 football uniforms and logo in the State of Texas...(the Texas State stylized bobcat and color maroon may suck more...not sure at this point). Goodgodalmighty we look like freaking armature hour out there.

we have:

- those stupid horn stripe pants

- goofy mechanical eagle logo

- mis-matched greens....why can't the green be the same as the cool Nike green on the gloves, warm-ups and coach shirts

- goofy & dated white face mask, socks & shoes

Who freaking signs off on this crap...anyone else sick of us looking silly? The suspossed 2015 new unis can't come quick enough....I hope the AD doesn't screw this up...it's a big part of recruiting, marketing and economics these days.

I'm ready to look mean & green....anybody see BAYLOR last night? Even the dorky Baptist people know how to properly dress their football team for battle!

• Downvote 8

personally I think we have one of the worst D-1 football uniforms and logo in the State of Texas...(the Texas State stylized bobcat and color maroon may suck more...not sure at this point). Goodgodalmighty we look like freaking armature hour out there.

we have:

- mis-matched greens....why can't the green be the same as the cool Nike green on the gloves, warm-ups and coach shirts

Who freaking signs off on this crap...anyone else sick of us looking silly? The suspossed 2015 new unis can't come quick enough....I hope the AD doesn't screw this up...it's a big part of recruiting, marketing and economics these days.

I'm ready to look mean & green....anybody see BAYLOR last night? Even the dorky Baptist people know how to properly dress their football team for battle!

nah

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

we have:

You're the only person I've ever come across that hates the eagle logo. And half the uni combinations Baylor throws out are crap.
  • Upvote 1

Our colors are green and white. I like that we use our colors instead of mixing in some platinum and gold and metallic aluminum foil that is also non-stick.

I agree that the pants are a little generic. That's because they are out of a Nike template from mid-2000s. I like the Kelly green of Marshall's uniforms better than our soft-greenish tint.

But we own green. So whatevs.

we have:

Edited by aztecskin

I loved the look Saturday.

I tell you what, a chrome green helmet similar to the filtered Instagram pic would look even better!

I guess if we're complaining about the unis, I too, have always hated the pants. That hook stripe always looked weird to me. The big half hook stopping mid thigh just doesn't look right. Toss the stripe and put MEAN GREEN in big Kelly green letters on either side of the pant legs. I think that'd look better....

the scale on the eagle was much better than on last years alternate...which was small and looked like a blob of smeared goo.

baby steps...first thing first...and an easy fix...get rid of the ridiculous "horn pants"...they are not helping our mojo or national perception that we have clue of what we're doing...

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 1