Coach Mccarney state of the Mean Green Address

BillySee58

Answered. Thanks, 90!

Look forward to hanging with you in Austin!

He is doing more or less what Dickey did. When he wins, a percentage will bitch about it, but a larger percentage will defend him. He starts to lose and those percentages will flip flop so fast your head will spin.

• Upvote 1

Just a point on size and speed.

Last regular season game 2010

Starting front seven (DL and LB) - 248.4

Last regular season game 2013 - 256.4

Plus 8 lbs per man heavier

Starting OL averaged 7.6 lbs heavier.

Skilled positions averaged 5.2 lbs heavier

Yeah, when Mac talks about getting bigger I don't think he means just size. I think he also means muscles and strength. I'd like to think our guys are now stronger and in better football shape than they were under Dodge.

He is doing more or less what Dickey did. When he wins, a percentage will bitch about it, but a larger percentage will defend him. He starts to lose and those percentages will flip flop so fast your head will spin.

Perhaps the smallest group ignores it because he/she recognizes it as Coach speak straight out of the gate.

Starting front seven in 2014 - 242.4

I imagine that's lighter than at any time during the Dodge or Dickey years.

That's not even counting the fact that the second string we're rolling in features 238 and 223 pound DEs and a 230 pound DT.

• Upvote 1

That's not even counting the fact that the second string we're rolling in features 238 and 223 pound DEs and a 230 pound DT.

What numbers are you using? I don't see any 230 lb DTs:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

Edited by pastorgrant

When you have to not only include linebackers, but then use last year's players, of which that front 7 included at least FOUR DODGE RECRUITS, you know you are losing an argument.

• Upvote 1

You need to update your weights as they have grown. Even that second string 230 pound DT is now 261.

The real question is can they play.

When you have to not only include linebackers, but then use last year's players, of which that front 7 included at least FOUR DODGE RECRUITS, you know you are losing an argument.

Both the DL and the LB's on last years team were bigger than in 2010. Since I don't know exactly who the starters will be this year I used the starters from the end of last year. It will be interesting to see how the depth chart shakes out once the season starts.

I'm glad to see that this coaching staff knew how to coach the left over Dodge recruits as the other staff didn't. Just another reason to like Mac.

Both the DL and the LB's on last years team were bigger than in 2010. Since I don't know exactly who the starters will be this year I used the starters from the end of last year. It will be interesting to see how the depth chart shakes out once the season starts.

I'm glad to see that this coaching staff knew how to coach the left over Dodge recruits as the other staff didn't. Just another reason to like Mac.

Ok, but it's kind redic to point to Dodge recruits that were part of the "smallest, slowest team in FBS" as the evidence to the contrary, don't you think? They were kinda here when Mac got here. Edited by UNT90

Ok, but it's kind redic to point to Dodge recruits that were part of the "smallest, slowest team in FBS" as the evidence to the contrary, don't you think? They were kinda here when Mac got here.

They were here but Dodge wasn't training up our guys properly. When Coach Mac originally said that, I took that as being partly that they were letting the talent they had go to waste with poor nutrition and strength training. It isn't all about what they were when they got here from high school.

They were here but Dodge wasn't training up our guys properly. When Coach Mac originally said that, I took that as being partly that they were letting the talent they had go to waste with poor nutrition and strength training. It isn't all about what they were when they got here from high school.

But that isn't what Mac said. If he truly meant that, he simply could have said "this was the worst conditioned team in FBS." He didn't. And hasn't. He has said this about 1,000 times, you know. Plenty of time to correct the message.

That isn't what he said. You can read anything you want into what people say, but the words are the words.

Edited by UNT90

But that isn't what Mac said. If he truly meant that, he simply could have said "this was the worst conditioned team in FBS." He didn't. And hasn't. He has said this about 1,000 times, you know. Plenty of time to correct the message.

That isn't what he said. You can read anything you want into what people say, but the words are the words.

Maybe I'm missing something. Didn't he say, "This was the smallest and slowest team in FBS"? That doesn't say what caused the problem, just stated what it was (with some exaggeration). Unless he said something I didn't hear (which is possible), you're assuming he was only talking about recruiting.

His actions suggest he thought strength training was part of the problem.

Maybe I'm missing something. Didn't he say, "This was the smallest and slowest team in FBS"? That doesn't say what caused the problem, just stated what it was (with some exaggeration). Unless he said something I didn't hear (which is possible), you're assuming he was only talking about recruiting.

Breland was fast when he got here. Don't recall Lance Dunbar being slow before Mac got here, either. Riley Dodge was faster than anyone we will have at QB this year. Our D Line in 2010 was much bigger than it will be this year, the first year that the DL will completely contain Mac recruits. I went over the speed of the wide outs in 2010 in another thread. Definitely not lacking.

No doubt we are a better conditioned team. Speed and size isn't an indication of that. Lack of injuries in a VERY physical game most certainly is.

It was complete coach speak, and at the time he started saying it, he was doing it to decrease expectations and buy time in order to get his program established and have as much time to turn around the program as possible.

Point is, you just had a 9-4 bowl winning season. No need to decrease expectations anymore. Even if you go 4-8 this year, you are safe.

So just stop it, already.

• Upvote 2

This was a quote before 2012 season...

North Texas is going to be a very young team this season. They return only 14 seniors and 22 juniors, so underclassmen will be challenging for playing time all over the field. But Coach McCarney was pleased with the progress many players have made on strength coach Frank Wintrich’s offseason conditioning program, saying, “When I took the job a year ago, I knew this was the smallest Division One team I’d ever been around, and then I found out it was one of the slowest Division One teams I’d ever been around. Our football team has really bought into our offseason program, getting bigger, getting stronger, gaining weight, getting more physical to give <themselves> a chance to be a good division one program.”

• Upvote 2

This was a quote before 2012 season...

North Texas is going to be a very young team this season. They return only 14 seniors and 22 juniors, so underclassmen will be challenging for playing time all over the field. But Coach McCarney was pleased with the progress many players have made on strength coach Frank Wintrich’s offseason conditioning program, saying, “When I took the job a year ago, I knew this was the smallest Division One team I’d ever been around, and then I found out it was one of the slowest Division One teams I’d ever been around. Our football team has really bought into our offseason program, getting bigger, getting stronger, gaining weight, getting more physical to give <themselves> a chance to be a good division one program.”

Thanks, that is how I took it way back when, but it is good to see that he spelled it out like that because it places the blame on the coaches and takes the responsibility for fixing it.

I am just afraid, that this does not bode well for the team.

Mac seems to be hedging for bad results, and that tells me he is not confident about this years team. Putting into peoples mind how hard a job this is, can be helpful during a bad season in order not to get too much heat and keep the climate calm to keep working at improving the team without having Fans create distractions.

A coach that is really confident in his teams chances to win this year would stand to think that talking about how your team is actually a level better (or at least equal) than the competition, because he wants to create the perception of positive separation/ reduce negative separation for things like recruiting. For a coach confident to win( for example the game over SMU), that would seem the better play. I don't see Mac doing that.

It makes me think he might see a season closer to 5-7 than 9-4 coming. a confident 6-6 season would not be a disaster at all. But UNT can't afford to be patient in the perception department; with things in CFB landscape about to change rapidly and for a long time, there is need for momentum in that department right now. And right now, the way he talks, it does not sound confident about his teams abilities as compared to the opponents.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am just afraid, that this does not bode well for the team.

Mac seems to be hedging for bad results, and that tells me he is not confident about this years team. Putting into peoples mind how hard a job this is, can be helpful during a bad season in order not to get too much heat and keep the climate calm to keep working at improving the team without having Fans create distractions.

A coach that is really confident in his teams chances to win this year would stand to think that talking about how your team is actually a level better (or at least equal) than the competition, because he wants to create the perception of positive separation/ reduce negative separation for things like recruiting. For a coach confident to win( for example the game over SMU), that would seem the better play. I don't see Mac doing that.

It makes me think he might see a season closer to 5-7 than 9-4 coming. a confident 6-6 season would not be a disaster at all. But UNT can't afford to be patient in the perception department; with things in CFB landscape about to change rapidly and for a long time, there is need for momentum in that department right now. And right now, the way he talks, it does not sound confident about his teams abilities as compared to the opponents.

I've been worried about that too. I'm sticking with my 9-4 I sent in to BV, but my expectations have been tempered and I don't really know what to expect now.