2014 Mean Green Win/Loss Record?

wardly

Anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4. How we anwer QB and DL questions, along with the ever important injury equation, will tell the tale.

Translation? I have no idea.

One thing this year will tell us is how well this staff has managed to develop their own recruits.

• Upvote 6

Anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4. How we anwer QB and DL questions, along with the ever important injury equation, will tell the tale.

Translation? I have no idea.

One thing this year will tell us is how well this staff has managed to develop their own recruits.

All of these things.

If by some chance we go 8-4 this season, you can go ahead and pencil us in for an historic, record-breaking Mean Green season in 2015.

• Upvote 4

All of these things.

If by some chance we go 8-4 this season, you can go ahead and pencil us in for an historic, record-breaking Mean Green season in 2015.

i don't know about that... we will be carried on offense by our OL this year... and we will have to reload that for the following year

• Upvote 2

i don't know about that... we will be carried on offense by our OL this year... and we will have to reload that for the following year

True. But if recruiting and player development prove to be as good as we all hope (and if this staff pulls 8 wins out of this team this year, we have no reason to believe otherwise), there's no reason 2015 can't be a conference championship-type season. That would (in theory) mean we have found a QB -- which I think is the most important part of the equation this side of the defense (which I believe will prove to be the lone consistency/great highlight of play in McCarney's tenure).

But it's all a lot of hypothetical at this point, of course. And 8/30 can't get here soon enough.

• Upvote 1

2 of 5 the OL starters will be back. If there is one position that has been recruited well by this staff, it's OL. This won't be near the concern in 2015 that the DL is in 2014.

So, ya, even if we go 7-5 or 6-6 this year, it means good things for 2015 (as long as there is progression throughout the year at the QB position, which will struggle early, no matter who ends up being the starter).

• Upvote 1

I'm looking at road loses to U.T.,Indiana,Rice, and UTSA, with home loses to SMU,LA. Tech., and FAU, and a 6&6 record.This could swing up to 7&5, or down to 5&7. It will be a rebuilding year.

Seriously? You think SMU comes to our house and bests us? You're crazy.

Losses @UT, @Indiana and either @Rice or @UTSA. I don't think we let both get by. Then again, there will be a La. Tech or FAU type game where we have no business losing, but end up doing so.

That puts my prediction at 8-4. Oh boy.

• Upvote 1

8-4

@Texas - Loss. They will be too big for us, and our QB play/playcalling will be too conservative

SMU - WIN. They are small and run a 3-4 defense that our OL will pound. They are breaking in a new QB

They have a bad defense. Questions at LB and DB. I don't think they have one good unit.

La Tech - WIN. 4-8 last season. OL will smash this rebuilt DL with 4 new starters. They run a spread offense that we picked offTwice. QB threw 6td 13ints last year. He should be better, but our secondary will be our strength.

They also have OL issues. They only ran for 37 yards last year. They do have most of the DBs and LBs returning, so if we are upset this year, this would be the team.

Nich State - WIN FCS school. No problem

@Indiana - Loss. We will have a lot of time to prepare for this team with the bye week and Nichols State before that, but that QB scares me. I think we have trouble outscoring them at thier house.

@UAB - WIN. 2-10 last year. No problem

So Miss - WIN. 1-11 last year. Blew them out last year.

@Rice - Loss. Rice losses a lot, but they are well coached and the homefield advantage gets them the win.

FAU - Win. Coming home after a possible Rice loss, (or jacked cause of a win) we will have 2 weeks to prepare. Average team last year. They lost both DEs. Look for us to pound this team and control the time of possesion.

@UTEP - WIN- last year we blew this team out. Could be closer cause their QB returns and it's at their home..still a win.

FIU - WIN - went 1-11 last year. No problem at home.

@UTSA - Loss. They barely beat us last year and we played our worst game of the season by far. still this game is on the road and they bring a lot of thier team back. I have to count this as a loss.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 5

Does anyone else think we should have won every game last year except Georgia? I honestly think we were the better team 12 times, but played poorly in 3 games (plus another 40% of the game after it started raining in Georgia, we did not handle the rain well at all, hope we practice with a wet ball this year). I think that in the Ohio and Tulane games we were still lacking confidence as a team, and I have no idea what happened with UTSA.

Anyway, that's the basis for my optimism about next year. Yes, we lost a lot. But we went 9-4 last year and were significantly better than that record in my mind. I think that having established a winning culture will fix a lot of the issues we had at Ohio and Tulane, and hopefully we won't have more than one UTSA game.

Let me also add that having Coach Wintrich gives us a huge leg-up toward program building. This past class of seniors was amazing, but a big part of that is the fact that this coaching staff developed these players to their potential. That's the kind of thing that doesn't leave with the class. They've been doing the same thing with the guys who will be seniors this year, and next year, etc. The Todd Dodge Fiasco is over.

• Upvote 4

Yes. I think if we had any semblance of an offense in the Tulane and UTSA game, we'd have definitely gone 10-2. Possibly 11-2, with a title game.

I agree. My 8-4 prediction is conservative in my opinion. I am assuming our offense cant keep up against Indiana, Rice, and UTSA. All three are beatable though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8-4

@Texas - Loss. They will be too big for us, and our QB play/playcalling will be too conservative

SMU - WIN. They are small and run a 3-4 defense that our OL will pound. They are breaking in a new QB

They have a bad defense. Questions at LB and DB. I don't think they have one good unit.

La Tech - WIN. 4-8 last season. OL will smash this rebuilt DL with 4 new starters. They run a spread offense that we picked off

Twice. QB threw 6td 13ints last year. He should be better, but our secondary will be our strength.

They also have OL issues. They only ran for 37 yards last year. They do have most of the DBs and LBs

returning, so if we are upset this year, this would be the team.

Nich State - WIN FCS school. No problem

@Indiana - Loss. We will have a lot of time to prepare for this team with the bye week and Nichols State before that, but that

QB scares me. I think we have trouble outscoring them at thier house.

@UAB - WIN. 2-10 last year. No problem

So Miss - WIN. 1-11 last year. Blew them out last year.

@Rice - Loss. Rice losses a lot, but they are well coached and the homefield advantage gets them the win.

FAU - Win. Coming home after a possible Rice loss, (or jacked cause of a win) we will have 2 weeks to prepare. Average team

last year. They lost both DEs and we will smash this DL. the DL size is smaller than ours. 222, 217, 225, 260.

Look for us to pound this team and control the time of possesion.

@UTEP - WIN- last year we blew this team out. Could be closer cause their QB returns and it's at their home..still a win.

FIU - WIN - went 1-11 last year. No problem at home.

@UTSA - Loss. They barely beat us last year and we played our worst game of the season by far. still this game is on the road

and they bring a lot of thier team back. I have to count this as a loss.

What he said.

• Upvote 1

I'm going the Kool-Aid route with 10-2.

We have a pretty easy schedule this year on paper. I think we split 2-2 on our four toughest road games (UT-Austin, Indiana, Rice, UTSA). We won't see the early season shakiness that caused the losses to Ohio and Tulane last year. There will be assignments missed and broken plays due to some inexperience, but this team will go out there knowing that winning at UNT is possible and now expected.

• Upvote 2