TCU to play Ohio State in a home and home

untjim1995

• 3 weeks later...

What I'm saying is look at what you are complaining about: Northern Illinois picks up series with San Diego State, Utah, Maryland, and BYU. And, TCU gets Ohio State.

Rick V got the home and homes people were clamoring for a few years ago - SMU and Army. These contracts are done years in advance. That's why Northern Illinois and TCU are announcing series for 2018 and beyond.

In the recnet past, Rick has gotten plenty of what we wanted: regional home and homes with Houston and Tulsa, home and homes with MAC schools Ball State and Ohio, and a home and home with Big Ten's Indiana.

You can't talk about A&M coming back to Dallas when they are already going to be here 12 times for over the next 11 seasons. Newsflash: They aren't scheduling TCU either. (SEE HERE: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/tcu-horned-frogs.php AND HERE: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sec/texas-am-aggies.php PLUS Arkansas as an annual SEC conference game in Arlington until 2024)

Look at TCU's schedules. They've got FCS schools SFA and South Dakota State in the future. And, a low level Minnesota, which I'd say is about even to our home and home with Indiana.

Every is working on 2018 and beyond. I made a list in March of what some schools that have yet to fill their 2018 and beyond OOCs. Just because TCU gets Ohio State and Northern Illinois announces a few of their series doesn't mean Rick isn't working on our 2018 and beyond.

You guys are like my kids. We go out to a store or to someone else's house, and they want, want, want something else they see available or that other people have. They already have closets and a garage full of sh*t to play with. And, every birthday, Christmas, Easter, vacation, trips to sporting events, and State Fairs and whatnot, I'm getting them more sh*t because they are my kids and: (1) I love them and like to see them happy, and (2) they constantly nag me about more things, so it's always on my mind.

Don't you think by now that Rick loves this University and wants its sports fans to be happy in a similar way that I want my kids to be happy? I'd love to spoil them with every toy and thing they want. But, sometimes the price is too high. They get plenty, though.

And, we nag and nag and nag at Rick, so it's on his mind. Would he like a home and home with Ohio State? Yes, he would. And, how do you all know he hasn't asked and been turned down? He offers what he has to offer.

TCU has some Big 12 clout behind it now. Is it Rick's fault that our school's brass put their collective heads up their ass from 1983 to 1995? TCU hustled, enduring several conference changes from 1996 on. Congrats to the for finally scoring an Ohio State-like visit.

But, you all have no idea whether we will or not. My point is, you don't have any idea right now who is asking. What do you think they do all day, sit around and watch re-runs of the 2003 New Orleans Bowl?

Rick Villareal has done some pretty done gone miraculous things at this school as far as athletics go. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt as far as scheduling goes.

He's doing fine and no different than anyone else. Hell, two seasons ago Oklahoma was in such a scheduling pickle that they had to take a roadie to UTEP to open the season. Scheduling isn't just snapping your fingers and saying, "Come to our school."

Give the man his due and show a little faith in him. Honestly.

Pretty Good post , especially the part about your kids. Very funny

Just a minor detail here- the games vs Ball St & Ohio were part of a deal with the Sunbelt/MAC

I love the SMU & Army games. Getting those 2 deals for a long term series was huge

FWIW RV did tell me a few years ago that we were almost at an agreement for 2 different home & home deals with p5 schools.. I guess things fell thru

But since we have a week to kill & I like to instigate things :

South Alabama likely headed for near sell out when they HOST Mississippi State

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/08/sellout_possibility_draws_near.html

Edited by NT03

Come on, man. Little ole UNT can't be expected to keep up with a powerhouse like S. Alabama. We just need to accept our lot in life and pray that RV can someday convince another AAC team to come play us in crappy Denton, Texas at crappy Apogee stadium...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Home & Home I'd try to schedule.

Kansas - sizable alumni base in DFW. Winnable every time we play. $100 flight.

Colorado - Bottom of the Pac 12 that could use a recruiting trip to DFW. Winnable every time we play. Can trumpet beating a Pac 12 team. $115 flight

Teams from P5 conferences we can beat and it is affordable for fans to get to.

Let's understand the financial side of a home and home series. First, the home team keeps all the ticket and concession money. Second, the visiting tram receives a modest fee subject to negotiations. So if say Oklahoma visits North Texas they would receive something along the lines of the cost of the bus trip, meals and accommodations and. North Texas gets the money from ticket sales and concessions. Perhaps, some money for TV rights, etc.

Of course, then similarly when we visit Oklahoma.

Compare that income to body bag game income for a onetime visit to Oklahoma.

If you are responsible for the budget of the North Texas Athletic Dept then do you schedule home and home series once a year, twice a year or for all OOC games? Now answer that question if you are the Oklahoma AD.

• Upvote 1

Let's understand the financial side of a home and home series. First, the home team keeps all the ticket and concession money. Second, the visiting tram receives a modest fee subject to negotiations. So if say Oklahoma visits North Texas they would receive something along the lines of the cost of the bus trip, meals and accommodations and. North Texas gets the money from ticket sales and concessions. Perhaps, some money for TV rights, etc.

Of course, then similarly when we visit Oklahoma.

Compare that income to body bag game income for a onetime visit to Oklahoma.

If you are responsible for the budget of the North Texas Athletic Dept then do you schedule home and home series once a year, twice a year or for all OOC games? Now answer that question if you are the Oklahoma AD.

Yet other programs, some in worse shape than UNT, are able to pull it off.

Could it be they see a bigger picture?

And bringing a relevant P5 to Apogee is but the tip of the iceberg in our scheduling woes, as you will see when we play 5 home games next season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I prefer to deal in facts and hard data especially in decisions involving money. Maybe someone who likes spreadsheets could create one and put in some data. Then look at various scenarios.

Or would you prefer not to be confused with facts and data.

Just because someone else did or did not do something is not justification for you to do the same. You must understand their situation and use it as a guide in your decision process. Their situation is not identical to yours. Use your facts and perhaps your outcomeay be different.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I prefer to deal in facts and hard data especially in decisions involving money. Maybe someone who likes spreadsheets could create one and put in some data. Then look at various scenarios.

Or would you prefer not to be confused with facts and data.

Just because someone else did or did not do something is not justification for you to do the same. You must understand their situation and use it as a guide in your decision process. Their situation is not identical to yours. Use your facts and perhaps your outcomeay be different.

Facts and hard numbers are all this university has ever dealt with when it comes to athletics.

It has always lacked vision and initiative.

Perhaps maybe this will help. We have a HUGE alma I base within 150 miles of UNT, which gives us a great built in advantage. Except, when it comes to athletics, we haven't done one thing to energize that fan base in decades. They are used to UNT ignoring athletics. They've seen it there entire life. They have seen us do nothing but play for a paycheck and whore ourselves out to the major players in college football.

Think it might change their perception that, if just for once, one of those major players came to Apogee where we might actually have a shot to win the game? And what if we do win the game?

Or we could keep doing things the way we have for the past 30 years. I mean, it's worked out sooo well...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And I'm saying convince me with hard facts and data. Choose the team of your dreams, one that we have a reasonable chance of beating (as you said in your previous post) and run the numbers. Then we can add in the intangibles on the decision process.

• Upvote 1

And I'm saying convince me with hard facts and data. Choose the team of your dreams, one that we have a reasonable chance of beating (as you said in your previous post) and run the numbers. Then we can add in the intangibles on the decision process.

You think we have access to what different universities will demand from us for a 1 and 1? There are no hard facts to give because they are unavailable to us. But, we know it can be done, because others are doing it.

We have had to buy home games in 3 straight years and still have to play a 5 game home slate next year. That is how bad scheduling has been. And we haven't gotten any marque team as a result. Just terrible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We have two OOC home/home series (SMU and army). We already know that we require a paycheck game. In order to prevent the 16 year old girls on here from complaining about a 5 game home schedule, we have to buy a home game.

Until the the existing series with either SMU or army ends, what exactly are you girls arguing about? Maybe you should shift your focus to something more productive like, uniform talk?

• Upvote 1

We have two OOC home/home series (SMU and army). We already know that we require a paycheck game. In order to prevent the 16 year old girls on here from complaining about a 5 game home schedule, we have to buy a home game.

Until the the existing series with either SMU or army ends, what exactly are you girls arguing about? Maybe you should shift your focus to something more productive like, uniform talk?

I think buying a home game and playing an away money game is, first off, the easy thing to do. It requires no creative thinking at all.

Secondly, it shows alumni it's just business as usual at little ole UNT.

Third, we were promised better than this when Apogee was built. I think those promises should be honored, don't you?

Check out my last post in the thread below for a complete scheduling breakdown. Then for fun, go look at our previous three OOC schedules. You will realize just how bad it has been:

Edited by UNT90

Terrible, horrible, the world will come to an end in 2015. You still haven't shown me the facts and data. Hate to pull you back to that but I insist. Yes, the fact is we have 5 home games. Agreed. But show me the bigger picture of the athletic dept budget with the current 2015 five game schedule and the proposed home and home series with whoever.

• Upvote 1

Terrible, horrible, the world will come to an end in 2015. You still haven't shown me the facts and data. Hate to pull you back to that but I insist. Yes, the fact is we have 5 home games. Agreed. But show me the bigger picture of the athletic dept budget with the current 2015 five game schedule and the proposed home and home series with whoever.

I tell you what, when you provide me with a sheet that shows what every P5 school expects in a 1 and 1 deal, I'll get back to you.

But you can't. You know why? Because these things are NEGOTIABLE. And that is something we have been terrible at for a very long time. The proof is in the results.

But keep on demanding things that simply aren't available.

Edited by UNT90

I tell you what, when you provide me with a sheet that shows what every P5 school expects in a 1 and 1 deal, I'll get back to you.

But you can't. You know why? Because these things are NEGOTIABLE. And that is something we have been terrible at for a very long time. The proof is in the results.

But keep on demanding things that simply aren't available.

Not to be rude, but what gives you the right to insist someone else provide facts and data? You're the one who thinks you have facts and data to back him up--you ought to provide it.

UNT90 has provided some examples of schools with smaller enrollments and less advantages going for them who are able to schedule home-and-homes with teams with whom we apparently cannot, and asks, "Why?" I, for one, would love to know the answer, and if you have some hard numbers that help answer the question, that would be great.

We are at a standoff. The beauty of a spreadsheet is varying one cell and immediately seeing the result. So even though the precise data is not available you can see the bottomline effect to see the relative importance. But you are not interested in looking at the bottom line.

I am sure the athletic dept looks at it and uses it to make the decision. Funding the dept is important, everyone's job depend on it, continued existence of each sport depends on it. Case in point is the UNT finance dept problem that affected all departments at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I will admit I have not looked at our future schedule as closely as others but this is the impression I get. The SMU and Army series were a huge get for us and perfect for building our program. Army will be a national TV game every year and should be a near sellout in Denton. I could go on and on about how special it feels to go to a game versus the service academies. The SMU series will not draw much national attention but it’s significance on the local level should not be underplayed. This game will build a heated rivalry unlike we have ever seen before and also around a sellout each and every year. Both games should be winnable each year will bring in revenue and one brings national attention. What more could we want? As for the rest of the schedule I believe we have to play one body bag game every year until one of you steps up and donates a ton of money :). With that said, basically we are talking about one remaining game each year, correct? Personally I think having some flexibility with that remaining spot in the schedule is important. I am sure the coaches would like to see us play a tune-up game each year. It can be used for that. Sometimes big programs get themselves in a scheduling bind and need to cover a game on their schedule. It can be used in that instance. Basically I am saying we are in a very good spot and to rail on and on about the schedule because you want to see some home and home game that serves little strategic importance is about you. Not UNT football.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 2

I will admit I have not looked at our future schedule as closely as others but this is the impression I get. The SMU and Army series were a huge get for us and perfect for building our program. Army will be a national TV game every year and should be a near sellout in Denton. I could go on and on about how special it feels to go to a game versus the service academies. The SMU series will not draw much national attention but it’s significance on the local level should not be underplayed. This game will build a heated rivalry unlike we have ever seen before and also around a sellout each and every year. Both games should be winnable each year will bring in revenue and one brings national attention. What more could we want? As for the rest of the schedule I believe we have to play one body bag game every year until one of you steps up and donates a ton of money :). With that said, basically we are talking about one remaining game each year, correct? Personally I think having some flexibility with that remaining spot in the schedule is important. I am sure the coaches would like to see us play a tune-up game each year. It can be used for that. Sometimes big programs get themselves in a scheduling bind and need to cover a game on their schedule. It can be used in that instance. Basically I am saying we are in a very good spot and to rail on and on about the schedule because you want to see some home and home game that serves little strategic importance is about you. Not UNT football.

See, you had a pretty good post going until that last part, making it personal instead of making a point. I love the SMU and Army series. They are great, and kudos to the A.D. for getting them scheduled. But that has nothing to do with the desire to get some P5 teams into Apogee. "Little strategic importance"? People get interested in a game that features an opponent they know. Beating Indiana at Apogee, as bad as they were, turned some heads. The Fouts-closing game we had against K-State was a momentum builder. When you play games against nationally-known teams, you get national media attention. And when it is a home game, the focus is far more on your university. "Little strategic importance"?

One of the main selling points the A.D. used in building a new stadium was to get better opponents into Denton. I'm not really seeing it, and others who had reservations about building the stadium probably think they've been sold a bill of goods.

I can't speak for others, but I'm not saying that every year should necessarily feature a home-and-home game with a P5 team. But I am saying that I think we should be able to bring in a bigger name opponent than "mid-major" with far greater regularity than we've been doing.

• Upvote 1

I will admit I have not looked at our future schedule as closely as others but this is the impression I get. The SMU and Army series were a huge get for us and perfect for building our program. Army will be a national TV game every year and should be a near sellout in Denton. I could go on and on about how special it feels to go to a game versus the service academies. The SMU series will not draw much national attention but its significance on the local level should not be underplayed. This game will build a heated rivalry unlike we have ever seen before and also around a sellout each and every year. Both games should be winnable each year will bring in revenue and one brings national attention. What more could we want? As for the rest of the schedule I believe we have to play one body bag game every year until one of you steps up and donates a ton of money :). With that said, basically we are talking about one remaining game each year, correct? Personally I think having some flexibility with that remaining spot in the schedule is important. I am sure the coaches would like to see us play a tune-up game each year. It can be used for that. Sometimes big programs get themselves in a scheduling bind and need to cover a game on their schedule. It can be used in that instance. Basically I am saying we are in a very good spot and to rail on and on about the schedule because you want to see some home and home game that serves little strategic importance is about you. Not UNT football.

You admit you haven't even looked at future schedules then say we are in a pretty good spot.

Good God, the underachievement fans of this university will accept is just never ending.

Do you realize that at this very late moment in scheduling for next season, we have zero OOC games scheduled... ZERO!

We have 4 home games currently scheduled. And some on here are daft enough to think that we will end up with 6. I guess they expect the fairy godmother of college football scheduling to crap a 6th home game for us.

Ain't happening.

We will have to buy a game for the 4th straight year just to make 5 home games.

If you paid attention, I promise you would be just as frustrated.

Army is a very average series. SMU is nice, but far too long. Neither is a major coup, and far from what we were led to believe Apogee would bring.

Please check the link I posted above. There is a complete run down.

We finally have a legit FBS stadium and a legit FBS football team. I don't think expecting a legit FBS Schedule and Athletic Department is unreasonable.

Oh, and NT03 posted most of the links to teams scheduling better than us. I know he does it just to get me going... ;-)

Edited by UNT90

We are at a standoff. The beauty of a spreadsheet is varying one cell and immediately seeing the result. So even though the precise data is not available you can see the bottomline effect to see the relative importance. But you are not interested in looking at the bottom line.

I am sure the athletic dept looks at it and uses it to make the decision. Funding the dept is important, everyone's job depend on it, continued existence of each sport depends on it. Case in point is the UNT finance dept problem that affected all departments at UNT.

If you think building interest in UNT athletics (which includes building a connection with current students and trying to rekindle a connection with over 100k alumni in the DFW area) can be solved with a spreadsheet, there really is no reason to continue this conversation.

By the way, are you a member of the UNT BOR?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You admit you haven't even looked at future schedules then say we are in a pretty good spot.

Good God, the underachievement fans of this university will accept is just never ending.

Do you realize that at this very late moment in scheduling for next season, we have zero OOC games scheduled... ZERO!

We have 4 home games currently scheduled. And some on here are daft enough to think that we will end up with 6. I guess they expect the fairy godmother of college football scheduling to crap a 6th home game for us.

Ain't happening.

We will have to buy a game for the 4th straight year just to make 5 home games.

If you paid attention, I promise you would be just as frustrated.

Army is a very average series. SMU is nice, but far too long. Neither is a major coup, and far from what we were led to believe Apogee would bring.

Please check the link I posted above. There is a complete run down.

We finally have a legit FBS stadium and a legit FBS football team. I don't think expecting a legit FBS Schedule and Athletic Department is unreasonable.

Oh, and NT03 posted most of the links to teams scheduling better than us. I know he does it just to get me going... ;-)

I said I don't look at future schedules?

Daft? You do realize we are all supporting the same team here? Right? .......right?

2015 has been the cornerstone of your argument for a while now. We get it..... Nothing to be excited about that year. Not sure I will bother to make the drive in from Houston.