MGB: UNT to sell beer at Apogee

Brett Vito

DENTON – The University of North Texas will begin selling beer on the concourse level of Apogee Stadium for all home

football games this fall, beginning with the home opener against SMU on Sept. 6.

North Texas joins a growing list of schools already selling beer in public areas at athletic events. SMU announced it will

follow last season’s basketball introduction with beer sales at Gerald J. Ford Stadium this football season, and will join

Texas, Texas Tech, UT Arlington, UT-El Paso, UT-San Antonio and Houston as state universities that currently serve beer

at designated athletic events.

“We carefully studied all issues related to making beer available in Apogee Stadium, and from every angle, it makes

sense,” said UNT President Neal Smatresk. “At UNLV, my experience was that selling beer helped to more carefully

regulate alcohol consumption and encouraged more fans to watch the game in the stadium. It also cumulatively improved

revenues and had no negative impact on the overall experience of all fans.”

The athletics department, university administration, the office of risk management and University police were all part

of the collaborative effort to develop a plan to create an environment that will not negatively affect the enjoyment of the

game for any fans. Beer will only be sold in controlled areas of the stadium, away from the designated family fun area

under the north end zone stands.

This post has been promoted to an article

More from the press release:

“The addition of beer sales has been something we discussed since the construction of Apogee Stadium began,” Director of Athletics Rick Villarreal said. “In a market where we are in constant competition for the consumers’ entertainment dollar, we have to provide the amenities sport enthusiasts expect. With the addition of beer sales in the stadium, we will now offer what venues like AT&T Stadium and the American Airlines Center have provided from day one.”

Beer sales at North Texas will be managed by Metzler’s Catering, which already handles alcohol sales in the club and suite levels of Apogee Stadium. The University applied for and was granted a license to sell alcoholic beverages through-out the facility when it was constructed three years ago.

“While this undertaking was implemented to broaden our ability to serve our fans, we also expect it to be a revenue generator,” Villarreal said. “The total budgetary impact is hard to estimate, but we believe it will have a cumulative effect, driving additional ticket sales as well as increasing food and merchandise sales.”

My sources say this should give us an estimated one billion more dollars in revenue by the end of the season.

I would be REEAALLY interested to inspect the studies they did to determine that. I sure hope that is accurate, but I also hope they didn't just go with that based on the "that sounds about right" test.

• Upvote 1

More from the press release:

The addition of beer sales has been something we discussed since the construction of Apogee Stadium began, Director of Athletics Rick Villarreal said. In a market where we are in constant competition for the consumers entertainment dollar, we have to provide the amenities sport enthusiasts expect. With the addition of beer sales in the stadium, we will now offer what venues like AT&T Stadium and the American Airlines Center have provided from day one.

Beer sales at North Texas will be managed by Metzlers Catering, which already handles alcohol sales in the club and suite levels of Apogee Stadium. The University applied for and was granted a license to sell alcoholic beverages through-out the facility when it was constructed three years ago.

While this undertaking was implemented to broaden our ability to serve our fans, we also expect it to be a revenue generator, Villarreal said. The total budgetary impact is hard to estimate, but we believe it will have a cumulative effect, driving additional ticket sales as well as increasing food and merchandise sales.

Ok, RV. You got beer. I want concerts. Like the ones we were told Apogee would host.

No more excuses...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

I would be REEAALLY interested to inspect the studies they did to determine that. I sure hope that is accurate, but I also hope they didn't just go with that based on the "that sounds about right" test.

My sources say that the eleventy billion dollars that will come of this will be used to fund the redesign of a new scrappy to look even more angry, whore-ish. My same sources also said that the original plans for the new stadium was to destroy fouts field and put an exact replica in the same location.

• Upvote 1

Hate to tell you...but Blue Moon is a Big 3 product. Pretty sure its now brewed in the Fort since the Big 3 became the Big 2.

Blue Moon might be made by one of the Big 3 but the bottles don't have Miller, Coors, or Bud on the label and a better taste in the bottle.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Blue Moon might be made by one of the Big 3 but the bottles don't have Miller, Coors, or Bud on the label and a better taste in the bottle.

Nope. It is a Colorado brewery that specializes in Belgian style wheat beer. Much better tasting that the flavored water of Coors and Miller for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1