Defensive Chants/Crowd participation

MGNation92

Okay, so I've been wondering this ever since I started attending UNT games. Other than the whole North Texas chant back and forth I've noticed a general lack of noise from the home crowd, especially when we're on defense. I'm going to go ahead and compare to A&M considering its the only other real college football experience I've been to. The literally all yell before the ref even spots the ball. Yes I know A&M is a P5 school with a stadium that holds 100k so it's hard to compare. But why not with 25-30k in our stands, make the concrete shake? I've yet to really see anything close to that other than the Rice game. I'm not complaining by any means, but it's kinda disheartening when I, as a student in the student section am the only one screaming, while the other students look at me like I'm half retarded. I realize we're not even remotely close to the season starting but I've had this on my mind for a while, and am fairly passionate about school spirit, if you couldn't tell. Anybody else feel the same?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Okay, so I've been wondering this ever since I started attending UNT games. Other than the whole North Texas chant back and forth I've noticed a general lack of noise from the home crowd, especially when we're on defense. I'm going to go ahead and compare to A&M considering its the only other real college football experience I've been to. The literally all yell before the ref even spots the ball. Yes I know A&M is a P5 school with a stadium that holds 100k so it's hard to compare. But why not with 25-30k in our stands, make the concrete shake? I've yet to really see anything close to that other than the Rice game. I'm not complaining by any means, but it's kinda disheartening when I, as a student in the student section am the only one screaming, while the other students look at me like I'm half retarded. I realize we're not even remotely close to the season starting but I've had this on my mind for a while, and am fairly passionate about school spirit, if you couldn't tell. Anybody else feel the same?

First, we have closer to 20-25k in the stands, on a good night. So, when 60% are going ape s at a tamu game(probably higher for them) there are still about 55k to make a lot of noise, as opposed to 60% of our attendance. That's going to make a huge difference. Second, you could compare almost any school in Texas to tamu and they would fall short (maybe tech is close). Last, there hasn't been a ton to cheer for in the past decade, give us time.

Proud of you MGNation92!! keep it up it will come eventually.... I graduated recently and have never missed any home game since we built Apogee and have yelled to every and each 3rd down on defense and it was just me and 3 other of my friends!! I know it is so disappointing but i'll do the right thing and you should too...

GMG

I am raspy every Sunday morning after a home game and I'm 27. I'm with ya 100%. I was standing on the brick ledge on the 15 yd line on the student side trying to get ppl going during the Rice game. I'm 27 and don't give a F. You're 22 if the 92 in your name is any indication, don't give a F either, yell. From a North Texas football standpoint that Rice game was pretty epic. A Rice player was quoted saying, "we couldn't communicate, I couldn't believe a crowd that size was that loud." That should be the norm, never the exception.

Me too 92. I love the 3rd down stop chant that goes along with the band - the 3 sequence play that insert North Texas, North Texas, North Texas Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. The best thing is that I am pretty confident we stole this from Southern Miss because out in Hattiesburg last year every time they would play it my GREEN section would sing the North Texas North Texas North Texas Fiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhtttttttt chant too. Golden Eagle fans looked at us a little cray cray for stealing their cheer.

GMG

A few decades ago, I had the same experience when I moved over to the alumni side...aka (at that time) the "never-stand-up-more-than-a-few-seconds-and-show-your-approval-of-a-good-play-with-tennis-applause" section. Early on, I remember my wife looking at me during a game and saying "do these people know they are at a football game?...maybe they got lost on their way to a recital.....or a memorial service." Of course my view on this subject is skewed because I went to a HS where the crowd was always on the verge of getting a unsportsman like conduct penalty called on it at any time of the game.

Showing school spirit has always been viewed as "uncool" by most of the North Texas student body. It"s been our only consitent tradtion here. It's changing (even on the alumni side), but it takes people like you to get it going and keep the intensity high.

Our "NORTH-TEXAS" chant has been the only uniquely North Texas yell in all the time that I have been attending games at NT. It's a start. but we need other stuff. Something initiated by our (alledgedly) nationally famous drum line would be great. The "North Texas-North Texas-North Texas....fiiiiight" takes too long to develop and it doesn't come on with, or finish with, a big enough POW!

MGnation92, I agree with Harry, I like your spirit. Keep it up!

A few decades ago, I had the same experience when I moved over to the alumni side...aka (at that time) the "never-stand-up-more-than-a-few-seconds-and-show-your-approval-of-a-good-play-with-tennis-applause" section. Early on, I remember my wife looking at me during a game and saying "do these people know they are at a football game?...maybe they got lost on their way to a recital.....or a memorial service." Of course my view on this subject is skewed because I went to a HS where the crowd was always on the verge of getting a unsportsman like conduct penalty called on it at any time of the game.

Showing school spirit has always been viewed as "uncool" by most of the North Texas student body. It"s been our only consitent tradtion here. It's changing (even on the alumni side), but it takes people like you to get it going and keep the intensity high.

Our "NORTH-TEXAS" chant has been the only uniquely North Texas yell in all the time that I have been attending games at NT. It's a start. but we need other stuff. Something initiated by our (alledgedly) nationally famous drum line would be great. The "North Texas-North Texas-North Texas....fiiiiight" takes too long to develop and it doesn't come on with, or finish with, a big enough POW!

I think you would be surprised at how much POW! it would have with a participation rate over 50%. Currently (I can only guess for my area, sec 205), it has a participation rate of around 5%.

Appreciate it. I'm from West Texas, so I'm like you. I was spoiled with intensely crazy football crowds every week. Football is a way of life out there. I just wish that we could have our own identity as a crowd. I want other fans and players to say at the end of every home game "good Lord those Mean Green fans are insane. How could they be so loud" but alas, it starts with getting butts in seats and thats hard even with free student admission. I'll continue to be hoarse after every game but I wish I could say the same for everyone else

Appreciate it. I'm from West Texas, so I'm like you. I was spoiled with intensely crazy football crowds every week. Football is a way of life out there. I just wish that we could have our own identity as a crowd. I want other fans and players to say at the end of every home game "good Lord those Mean Green fans are insane. How could they be so loud" but alas, it starts with getting butts in seats and thats hard even with free student admission. I'll continue to be hoarse after every game but I wish I could say the same for everyone else

I similarly desire the same kind of validation. I couldn't get my father to come to one UNT game last year, despite how well UNT was doing.

They do the TEXAS - FIGHT at UT home games, back & forth. Anyone know who came up with this first? I like doing the NORTH-TEXAS when I'm at a UNT game (which is rare, unfortunately, since I live in the Austin area), but I sometimes feel like we've copied it from UT, just like the "I bleed Green" slogan we now have on shirts.

I would love to hear our football players thanking the crowds for their overwhelming support in their post-game interviews. We have recently talked about keeping the momentum going...I know as fans, we can help with that. I have often thought that I should wear t-shirts to our games with a message on the back that warns the people behind me that they are sitting in the standing/ cheering section. I think it is a lot of fun to participate in the game. Much better than a casual spectator that can have no influence on the game. Surely, if we all feel the same way, we can help this campaign! Hey people of North Texas...there is a party in your own backyard...Come check it out!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They do the TEXAS - FIGHT at UT home games, back & forth. Anyone know who came up with this first? I like doing the NORTH-TEXAS when I'm at a UNT game (which is rare, unfortunately, since I live in the Austin area), but I sometimes feel like we've copied it from UT, just like the "I bleed Green" slogan we now have on shirts.

To the Mean Green who will be in DKR in 81 days, let's hijack that chant. Every time they yell "fight" we SCREAM "NORTH". They won't know what hit em!

When our D is on the field, I'm going with "DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" almost vuvuzela like. Cupping your hands around your mouth helps to project it. Talking 1st down. When our D is out there, we're bringing da noise.

To the poster,

Don't get disheartened, as a cape wearer, I receive some strange looks myself. One group of young men busted out in laughter when I walked by them during spring game. Keep your spirit up. I told my wife "if you can't dress up and go nuts on Halloween at a CFB game, then when the hell can ya?!?" Mean Green Maniac told me strength in numbers, we're out there among the apathetic citizens of Apogee. We need to unite and create the greatest home field advantage in CUSA. #BringDaNoise

Edited by MeanGreenD

To the Mean Green who will be in DKR in 81 days, let's hijack that chant. Every time they yell "fight" we SCREAM "NORTH". They won't know what hit em!

Probably because they won't hear it. I appreciate your zeal, but there is no way that our contingent of fans will be able to make any kind of impact on that cheer.

I remember at the Rice game, the Rice players couldn't hear, and I really couldn't hear either. lost my voice at every game, even the damn UTSA game. It's definitely gonten better since I got here in 2012, when the North Texas chant was something 15 or 20 people did in the student section. And if we keep playing well, and we get good crowds not just in Apogee, but wherever we play, I think it's gonna get better. A bit like A&M. But then again, they have a yell for just about everything... We'll just have to see what Longhorns and Mustangs fans think about us when we're done with them.

The "North Texas-North Texas-North Texas....fiiiiight" takes too long to develop and it doesn't come on with, or finish with, a big enough POW!

Maybe it just needs a POW POW?

keep yelling no matter what occurs...we will find you!!!

Well played. Hokey part to a great movie.

To me, it all comes back to packing the stadium.

Sitting down during the HOD bowl wasn't even an option because the section was so completely full. That's the difference between our games/atmosphere and one at the likes of a&m. When fans feel like they're part of an enormous community at the game (because they see more fans than aluminum seats), the natural reaction will be to emphatically support the what's unifying that group - in this case, the Mean Green.

Probably because they won't hear it. I appreciate your zeal, but there is no way that our contingent of fans will be able to make any kind of impact on that cheer.

Anyone recall the deathly quite Sanford Stadium and the soaking wet North Texas continent there? They heard us.