USAtoday college fb countdown (SMU must beat UNT)

GOMG2013

Sounds pretty accurate. Any guesses where they rank us? I'll say around 67th.

They had us ranked 4th in the west behind La Tech when they did the spring football primer. Not sure about how they came up with that. La Tech went 4-8 last year and lost a lot from both lines.

I dont think highly of latech this year, so if they have us worse than latech, then we could be in the 80s or 90s.

North Texas: SMU won't meet a team who fell outside last year's postseason until Oct. 25, when it hosts Memphis. The first six games? At Baylor, at North Texas, home for Texas A&M and TCU, at East Carolina and back home for Cincinnati. Don't just think about the American; nationwide, this is as tough a first half as you'll find in the FBS. As such, it's vital that SMU makes the most of those winnable opportunities. North Texas is a solid team very much eyeballing a return to seven-plus wins and a bowl berth, but this is an absolute must-win game for the Mustangs' postseason hopes.

90th ranked defense huh? 115th-ranked offense? 27th-ranked Special Teams, sans Chancellor?

How the heck are these numbers determined? I put little-to-no-stock in this at all.

The worst thing that could happen with these pre-season rankings would be for this team to get their due. The more underestimated they are, the more they show up to prove everyone wrong.

• Upvote 5

Good find.

Based on ESPN...

25. Texas

38. Indiana

74. UTSA

84. SMU

89. Rice

103. UNT

110. La tech

113. UTEP

114. FAU

117. So Miss

119. FIU

121. UAB

NR. Nichols st.

if these rankings hold true, we go 7-5 by beating up on weak teams. Texas at #25? At least we play a ranked team. They dont think too highly of FAU like many on here. Indiana at 38 may be a quality opponent also.

We will beat SMwho. Apogee is going to be rocking and a relatively inexperienced QB even at a smaller stadium such as Apogee will rock him mentally and will cause false starts and happy feet. The crowd will have to be just as ready as the team on Sep 6, but I fully expect a W.

Really crap list. FAU being ranked that low tells you all you need to know about the person who made this list for E$PN.

Probably never seen a college football game that didnt involve a P5 team.

FAU will win the East. You heard it here 1st.

We will beat SMwho. Apogee is going to be rocking and a relatively inexperienced QB even at a smaller stadium such as Apogee will rock him mentally and will cause false starts and happy feet. The crowd will have to be just as ready as the team on Sep 6, but I fully expect a W.

The problem with your theory is we too will have a new Quarterback.
  • Upvote 2

Beat me to it. I think FAU finishes 2nd in the East.

Ok, I haven't seen a lot of FAU. 2 games last season. I'm trying to understand the hype about them. Kinda like the Rice hype last year on here. FAU loses 6 starters on offense and 6 on defense based on the depth chart I am looking at. 2 WRs, LT, C, TE, and RB. On Defense they lose, LDE, RDE, 2LBs, C, and FS. That's a lot that was lost from a 6-6 team.

And after reading some things about their spring camp, they don't have a QB named yet. A true freshman is being considered. Have a 8 man rotation at D Line, do not have the O Line settled, and have a RB by committee coming in 2014. Why so much hype? They went 6-6 and lost just as much, if not more than UNT and they are coming to Apogee...

They were a good 6-6 team. They competed with every team in CUSA. They lost 4 conference games, one of which was to ECU. The other 3 losses to teams that are returning to CUSA were lost by a combined 12 points. They also ended the year on a 4-game win streak, granted not against top tier teams; but momentum is momentum. They also sit about 50 miles due north of Miami, which is a recruiting coordinators dream land. I think we will be able to handle them at home, but they are not going to be a pushover by any means.

Add to that the fact that outside of Marshall and FAU, the rest of the East doesn't look very strong...maybe MUTS and WacKY but as of right now I think FAU finishes ahead of them.

It looked like the Espn list was pretty numbers based and pretty influenced by recruiting class rankings. Kind of makes sense based on numbers of players we lost combined with average stats to start with.

I think the human predictions will show at least a little more love.