AAS: Todd Dodge to Westlake beyond rumors

Harry

The Eanes school district could select a lone finalist by next week, according to communications director Claudia McWhorter.

Eanes school district policy requires the district to post the job for 10 school days, but state law and district policy does permit the district to make a hire before the 10 days have expired if there is an immediate need for a certified position during the school year, and athletic director falls under that provision.

Due to the immeidate need, the school board does not have to approve the hire.

Rampant rumors about the hiring of Todd Dodge as Westlake’s new head football coach could be moving beyond speculation.

Dodge is the current head football coach and athletic director at Marble Falls High School.

Read more: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/new-westlake-head-football-coach-could-be-known-by/nfmLL/

Dodges mother in law is high up in Eanes ISD. Anyone and everyone saw this coming. Go to Marble falls for a few years then slide to Westlake when the chance arises.

So now it's official. Dodge didn't go to Marble Falls to retire, he just couldn't find a better job. Got it.

Although he was an utter failure as a college HC, don't think Dodge couldn't have had his pick of jobs in the high school ranks. Those Southlake years still carry a lot of cache. I've heard one of the reasons he took the Marble Falls gig was for the family to be close to Westlake and his in-laws. Health issues with the FIL prompted the family to be closer. The move to Westlake has long been viewed as an eventuality Westlake's stadium is named after his FIL.

• Upvote 1

Marble Falls spring football was scheduled to start today, yet it got postponed to Monday. Interesting...wonder why it got postponed? And I agree Dodge could get almost any job he wants in HS ranks. To say anything else is just plain silly.

Marble Falls spring football was scheduled to start today, yet it got postponed to Monday. Interesting...wonder why it got postponed? And I agree Dodge could get almost any job he wants in HS ranks. To say anything else is just plain silly.

Exactly. Because every place he's been that wasn't already an established winner and wealthier than its counterparts has been a rousing success. Yep, he could go anywhere.

The program was already built at SLC, with 3 (88,92, 93)) State football championships under former coach Bob Ledbetter, endless wealth from the early 00s boom economy and million dollar homes everywhere in their district.

All he had to do was maintain the status quo. That's why Westlake is perfect for him. Rich community with an established program where all he has to do is smile and steer the ship.

Dodge could not have had his pick of jobs. Desoto, Cedar Hill, and any other high talent, moderate resource program would have nothing to do with him.

Edited by UNT90

I like this new reality where Dodge was this incompetent jester who could barely dress himself or cross the street for his entire career. It doesn't seem revisionist, weird or agenda-driven at all.

• Upvote 1

I like this new reality where Dodge was this incompetent jester who could barely dress himself or cross the street for his entire career. It doesn't seem revisionist, weird or agenda-driven at all.

Just seeing want you wanna see.

Dodge is good at taking an established program to the next level.

Dodge is terrible at building anything.

History doesn't lie.

Just seeing want you wanna see.

Dodge is good at taking an established program to the next level.

Dodge is terrible at building anything.

History doesn't lie.

Yeah - I'm a noted TD enthusiast and supporter and definitely wasn't in the first group to get ripped for being done with him. I remember the burden of standing up for each of those 6 wins so well.

We agree he wasn't a good college coach here, but to poke every hole possible in in his entire CV is just stupid and fits THE EXTREME HOT TAKE agenda perfectly. You're basically becoming StephenA90.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah - I'm a noted TD enthusiast and supporter and definitely wasn't in the first group to get ripped for being done with him. I remember the burden of standing up for each of those 6 wins so well.

We agree he wasn't a good college coach here, but to poke every hole possible in in his entire CV is just stupid and fits THE EXTREME HOT TAKE agenda perfectly. You're basically becoming StephenA90.

Well, I guess that's your perception.

He took a already built SLC program to the next level. Other than that, he has been beyond average. His strength is maximizing massive amounts of assets, not building a winner with a limited or even moderate budget.

Again, history don't lie.

Dodge will do just fine at Westlake.

He wouldn't sniff a title at Guyer.

Take that for what you will.

Its just like coaching at Texas versus North Texas...one has everything imaginable at the snap of your fingers, while the other has to scrap and claw for anything they need. Its a tad easier to win when you already have the money, facilities, tradition, and talent at your feet. Shocking, I know, but Todd Dodge isn't stupid. He got a huge raise to go to UNT from SLC, he just failed miserably here. Now, he gets to find another rich, suburban HS to coach and win at.

Its just like coaching at Texas versus North Texas...one has everything imaginable at the snap of your fingers, while the other has to scrap and claw for anything they need. Its a tad easier to win when you already have the money, facilities, tradition, and talent at your feet. Shocking, I know, but Todd Dodge isn't stupid. He got a huge raise to go to UNT from SLC, he just failed miserably here. Now, he gets to find another rich, suburban HS to coach and win at.

Yep, and already with a tradition of winning, which shouldn't be underrated.

Amen to that. He was nothing but class. Not everyone wins at everything they do and how they handle that speaks volumes.

As parents of a player that TD invited to walk on in 2007, we felt he ran the football program year round with class and pushed our son academically. We wish him nothing but the best at Westlake.

• Upvote 2