Meanwhile...

emmitt01

Yeah, I hear combs is solid. But one player doesn't make a team legitimate, but it's something to build on.

Wesley should be decent and in basketball a few solid players can make a difference unlike in football. Still the team will need work but hopefully something will work itself out.

Yeah, I hear combs is solid. But one player doesn't make a team legitimate, but it's something to build on

Like Coombs but he is a very thin undersized (6-6) power forward that wont help this team at all; as it is currently constructed. He needs better players around him to make a difference. He really needs a redshirt year to prepare physically for the college game. He is scoring about 20 a game but he has not improved over last year. (Saw him again today)

Edited by Cooley

Like Coombs but he is a very thin undersized (6-6) power forward that wont help this team at all; as it is currently constructed. He needs better players around him to make a difference. He really needs a redshift year to prepare physically for the college game.

I think saying he won't help the team at all is a little extreme, but I haven't seen him play in person like you have. But I do agree with you for the most part. I don't look at him or Wesley as guys who can carry the team, at least offensively, but guys who can really contribute to a good team. Edited by BillySee58

Like Coombs but he is a very thin undersized (6-6) power forward that wont help this team at all; as it is currently constructed. He needs better players around him to make a difference. He really needs a redshift year to prepare physically for the college game.

Next year would be the perfect season to redshirt with so many seniors returning and Wesley coming in. I would be all for a red shirt. Get some longevity out of he and Wesley.

• Downvote 1

I think saying he won't help the team at all is a little extreme, but I haven't seen him play in person like you have. But I do agree with you for the most part. I don't look at him or Wesley as guys who can carry the team, but guys who can really contribute to a good team.

Hopefully that guy gets signed next season. When we lose all of our seniors. (Hopefully regardless of record this occurs.)

Yeah, just saw this. Stupid.

And at one time we recruited him...mad well as Forte and Nash

On a lighter side my old swim coach apparently graduated from SMU and posted about the ponies win I commented with a post about sanctions and how they will fall off soon. He asked if he could just have this one season because SMU has been awful since he went there in the 90s. He is fine with them stinking it up next year he just wants this one year to erase the 20 plus bad years. I told him deal. So hopefully next year we are back in top ;)

• Downvote 1

Next year would be the perfect season to redshirt with so many seniors returning and Wesley coming in. I would be all for a red shirt. Get some longevity out of he and Wesley.

I see absolutely no way this would happen. Redshirts in basketball rarely happen, especially with crappy teams that could use some help. That being said and keeping in mind how bad we are, would it really be a good thing if they redshirted?

I see absolutely no way this would happen. Redshirts in basketball rarely happen, especially with crappy teams that could use some help. That being said and keeping in mind how bad we are, would it really be a good thing if they redshirted?

The way Benford subs yes....haha. Wesley can come in and do the same thing and I already wonder how many minutes he will log next year. Especially if Benfords back is up against the wall. He will most likely really push his seniors and we will be pretty deep without the freshman. Jordan and Mo could absorb every minutes at the 3 and I do not see Combs over power someone like Voss in the post. He may need time to either grow, work on his post game to be like roger or work on an outside game.

Edited by Andrew
  • Downvote 1

And at one time we recruited him...mad well as Forte and Nash

On a lighter side my old swim coach apparently graduated from SMU and posted about the ponies win I commented with a post about sanctions and how they will fall off soon. He asked if he could just have this one season because SMU has been awful since he went there in the 90s. He is fine with them stinking it up next year he just wants this one year to erase the 20 plus bad years. I told him deal. So hopefully next year we are back in top ;)

the scary thing is, they're gonna be much better next year

I think saying he won't help the team at all is a little extreme, but I haven't seen him play in person like you have. But I do agree with you for the most part. I don't look at him or Wesley as guys who can carry the team, at least offensively, but guys who can really contribute to a good team.

Figure of speech Billy. I don't see anymore victories with him in the lineup unless there are changes. Did we win many more games with Tony Mitchell? In a better situation, the kid should gradually move into the lineup. I just hope our fans aren't setting themself up for a letdown. He is better than Flash so I guess that would help the team. I always thought he would be a major factor by his junior year. Maybe going up against Voss in practice should help him mix it up. He really needs Voss' body.

Figure of speech Billy. I don't see anymore victories with him in the lineup unless there are changes. Did we win many more games with Tony Mitchell? In a better situation, the kid should gradually move into the lineup. I just hope our fans aren't setting themself up for a letdown. He is better than Flash so I guess that would help the team. I always thought he would be a major factor by his junior year. Maybe going up against Voss in practice should help him mix it up. He really needs Voss' body.

Who gives a flying F? While we're sitting here letting Benford ruin our program and getting excited over 2-star recruits, SMU is taking over the metroplex and making college basketball a thing. Remember when we were on the cusp of being DFW's college basketball?

While we sit dawdling with mediocrity in Bumford, LB has built a juggernaut in Dallas with a great arena that doesn't feel dingy with cheap presentation. Like us. Shit, they get American Airlines to sponsor their games. But we have Fuzzy's Tacos!!!!!!

Luckily we will embarrass them in football and that's all that matters in Texas. Better tailgating, experience, hotter tickets and a better team...so...we can hopefully forget this nightmare.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was the beat writer for men's basketball at the daily last season, my last college semester. I saw some pretty interesting stuff in practices. It was a cool opportunity. I was the soccer writer the season before. The basketball guys, current and last season's graduates, are really a great group of guys to it's frustrating to see them aimlessly woking hard. I was definitely one of those people clinging to optimism last season, with the injuries and al that, but most of that has faded and I just want to see guys like Jordan Williams show what they can do in a good system.

Who gives a flying F? While we're sitting here letting Benford ruin our program and getting excited over 2-star recruits, SMU is taking over the metroplex and making college basketball a thing. Remember when we were on the cusp of being DFW's college basketball?

While we sit dawdling with mediocrity in Bumford, LB has built a juggernaut in Dallas with a great arena that doesn't feel dingy with cheap presentation. Like us. Shit, they get American Airlines to sponsor their games. But we have Fuzzy's Tacos!!!!!!

Luckily we will embarrass them in football and that's all that matters in Texas. Better tailgating, experience, hotter tickets and a better team...so...we can hopefully forget this nightmare.

I do. When the next coach comes I'd like for him to have the most he can to work with.
  • Upvote 1

Yep...it wont...and the new coach will be able to better the players, not make them worse...recruiting and coaching is two different things...Dodge could recruit...couldn't coach...

Stopped by that man's wiki page a short while ago. Somebody had painstakingly rewritten his story so as to show that UNT, Rick Villarreal, Gretchen, the north Texas media, Santa Claus, and the easter bunny had all conspired to undermine what should have been a glorious career of this infallible victim and football genius. I took it upon myself to delete those paragraphs.

I haven't seen Combs play, but few healthy bb players are ever red shirted. On a team with one inside player with any kind of game, Combs would be getting playing time this year as would Westley if he was eligible.

I do think NT has the making of a good team next year, that is why they should make a coaching change: not a reason to keep Benford.

This

I love Combs. He's athletic & has a high motor, but I don't see him putting up huge numbers in this kind of offense.

Absolutely agree with that. We certainly did win some games during Tony Mitchell's freshman year because of him. That South Alabama game comes to mind. But yes, that's just one game and very few single players can increase a team's win total significantly.

Are you saying you thought Flash would be a major factor by his junior year? Because he currently is a junior and will be a senior next year.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

I haven't seen Combs play, but few healthy bb players are ever red shirted. On a team with one inside player with any kind of game, Combs would be getting playing time this year as would Westley if he was eligible.

I do think NT has the making of a good team next year, that is why they should make a coaching change: not a reason to keep Benford.

In theory Cooley has a point as to why a redshirt might be a good idea, but Combs won't be redshirted. You're right. Especially if he can be an upgrade to our current 4's, especially on the defensive end. Edited by BillySee58

It always helps in turning it around quicker when you come in and tell your bottom 5 to find another school.

If your bottom 5 can be replaced with better players, so be it. That is big time college athletics.

I guess we could just accept having the Benford's of the world as head coaches and middle of the pack (at best) CUSA finishes forever.

You have to respect what SMU has done and the quickness it which they have done it.