MGB: Washington makes pick

Brett Vito

As much as I want him to be a Mean Green I respect his decision. A competitive conference, an excellent head coach, an atmosphere of a big city, and a great academic school. Good luck to the kid and I hope he finds success at Northwestern both at the academic and athletic level.

Ok, let's get Chumley a ship from day one.

And who was plan B? JT Williams? Sekou Clark?

I wonder what's up with this kid

https://twitter.com/canesfootballtx/status/423491246791729152

Commited to Princeton last season , but since opened it back up. Just got a UTSA offer

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Chibuzor-Ugwu-150879

Edited by NT03

Good luck to him.

On to more pressing issues like the fact that we're only going to sign 1 high school DE and 1 high school DT who's only other offers were TSU & Utah State. In the 2013 class we signed 1 high school DT and 1 JUCO DE. I know that we have made progress in recruiting this season with the East Texas pledges, but man that's a big disappointment. In 2012 we signed 6 high school defensive lineman, two have left school (Horton, McDorman) and the other 4 haven't seen the field. It is imperative that a couple of those guys come on strong in spring ball.

• Upvote 2

Vito, "UNT hasn’t been in many battles with schools like Northwestern for recruits over the years". Northwestern came on the scene just last week and swept one our top recruits right from under our noses. There was no recruiting battle.

Ding, Ding! The minute they opened up a scholly for him, he was gone. At least he slept on it for a night before making it official. Gotta give him credit for being wise enough (or getting good advice from home) to do that.

That said, Northwestern can suck it!

Good luck to him.

On to more pressing issues like the fact that we're only going to sign 1 high school DE and 1 high school DT who's only other offers were TSU & Utah State. In the 2013 class we signed 1 high school DT and 1 JUCO DE. I know that we have made progress in recruiting this season with the East Texas pledges, but man that's a big disappointment. In 2012 we signed 6 high school defensive lineman, two have left school (Horton, McDorman) and the other 4 haven't seen the field. It is imperative that a couple of those guys come on strong in spring ball.

I count 4 DL players in this class.

I got the most important retweet I've had in my short history with Twitter. Came from Xavier's Mom. Upon viewing her profile, I notice right before my retweet she tweeted, "Plz remember my son is a 17 yr old kid when tweeting. This was very hard and emotional choice for him plz think of his feelings." @Apex_mom

I hope this is mostly directed at the UH fan base. Was I bummed? Of course! But this young man made a decision that he felt was best for HIM. That's what all these college athletes do. Fan is short for fanatic, but you can make the decision to carry yourself in a respectful manner. X will talk to juniors who will become seniors and new prospects. He will tell them "I didn't go to UNT, but man, I wish I did. He'll list the many reasons why, and then either say "...and their fans showed me major respect even after I didn't go there". Or, "...but, I didn't go there and I got slammed by every Mean Green fan".

Please be mindful that social media is a powerful tool that can work in our favor, or not. It's all a matter of how we decide to use it.

As Coach Mac said on the radio show after my Facebook questions was reworded and taken entitrely out of context, "Let's take the negativity out of it." That has become my new motto.

• Upvote 4

I got the most important retweet I've had in my short history with Twitter. Came from Xavier's Mom. Upon viewing her profile, I notice right before my retweet she tweeted, "Plz remember my son is a 17 yr old kid when tweeting. This was very hard and emotional choice for him plz think of his feelings." @Apex_mom

I hope this is mostly directed at the UH fan base. Was I bummed? Of course! But this young man made a decision that he felt was best for HIM. That's what all these college athletes do. Fan is short for fanatic, but you can make the decision to carry yourself in a respectful manner. X will talk to juniors who will become seniors and new prospects. He will tell them "I didn't go to UNT, but man, I wish I did. He'll list the many reasons why, and then either say "...and their fans showed me major respect even after I didn't go there". Or, "...but, I didn't go there and I got slammed by every Mean Green fan".

Please be mindful that social media is a powerful tool that can work in our favor, or not. It's all a matter of how we decide to use it.

As Coach Mac said on the radio show after my Facebook questions was reworded and taken entitrely out of context, "Let's take the negativity out of it." That has become my new motto.

Good thoughts and I agree. It's disappointing for us all and I am sure he hates to disappoint us as well. Just wish him well -- he and his family have been nothing but nice to UNT through the whole process. We all wish he would have come here, but it didn't work out that way in the end. Life goes on.

Vito, "UNT hasn’t been in many battles with schools like Northwestern for recruits over the years". Northwestern came on the scene just last week and swept one our top recruits right from under our noses. There was no recruiting battle.

So we go back to being the North Texas of old and crawl back in our hole?

Well..............I don't think so as long as Coach McCarney is around in Mean Green Country and we keep hiring future head football coaches that have very similar bios as he had before he arrived in Denton. It has made a difference and I just don't know what took us so long to get back to that kind of hiring modus operendi once again.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1