UIL Realignment

BillySee58

Not a fan of 9 and 10 team districts but II guess with so many more teams than even a decade ago it's bound to happen.

I agree. As a player, I loved having big games against the non-district portion of our schedule.

But if you're going to let 4 teams into the playoffs out of each district then the districts might as well be big and tough.

• Upvote 1

They split up Abilene/Abilene Cooper, but kept Odessa/Odessa Permian and Midland/Midland Lee in the same district.

I hope they can prove me wrong, but football west of Abilene is dead. It'd be very good for Texas High School Football if the Midland and Odessa schools rose up to prominence again, but they just haven't been relevant statewide in a while.

I hope they can prove me wrong, but football west of Abilene is dead. It'd be very good for Texas High School Football if the Midland and Odessa schools rose up to prominence again, but they just haven't been relevant statewide in a while.

West Texas schools used to have success by just being tough, hard nosed kids. When your other option is being a roughneck then a grueling football practice sounds like a vacation.

Now being a top program means the kids have to have access to strength coaches, speed coaches, qb coaches, etc outside of the program itself. Most of those kids can't afford it, and even if they can, there just aren't many of those coaches out in that region.

No one is falling all over themselves to setup a prime prep clone in Amarillo or Odessa.

Still, there are still good recruits out there, Abbe was from Lubbock Monterey and TexTech has made a program out of turning kids like OHS's Bradley Marquez into NFL wide receivers.

West Texas schools used to have success by just being tough, hard nosed kids. When your other option is being a roughneck then a grueling football practice sounds like a vacation.

Now being a top program means the kids have to have access to strength coaches, speed coaches, qb coaches, etc outside of the program itself. Most of those kids can't afford it, and even if they can, there just aren't many of those coaches out in that region.

No one is falling all over themselves to setup a prime prep clone in Amarillo or Odessa.

Still, there are still good recruits out there, Abbe was from Lubbock Monterey and TexTech has made a program out of turning kids like OHS's Bradley Marquez into NFL wide receivers.

Yeah, I agree. Actually played against Marquez in the first round our senior year. One man show, let me tell ya. I agree about all those factors, not to mention the schools over here are bigger as well. At least that's what I remember. Then you've got the schools like Allen that just have way too many kids, coupled with those resources and it's not fair. School size coupled with resources over here just make it almost unfair.

Also agree that those areas should still be targeted in recruiting. Just not as primarily as other regions. I'd rather target East Texas kids right now.

Edited by BillySee58

FWIW, Midland county sits in between Denton and Tarrant counties when ranking 2010 per capita income. It probably has a lot to do with the oil industry out there.

Now, Potter and Ector...yikes.

FWIW, Midland county sits in between Denton and Tarrant counties when ranking 2010 per capita income. It probably has a lot to do with the oil industry out there.

Now, Potter and Ector...yikes.

I am an OHS grad so I understand the area. Midland county has a very high average income because the workers live in Odessa and the company owners, bankers, professionals, etc live in Midland.

However, that the average, not the median. Midland counties median household income is ~$12k less than Denton county, of course the median income in Ector county is over $20k less.

Whoa, check out this district...

Colleyville Heritage
Coppell
Euless Trinity
Haltom City Haltom
Hurst Bell
N Richland Hills
Richland
Southlake Carroll

Really not a big deal. Desoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, S. Grand Prairie, Mansfield Timberview and Mansfield have been tough for a few years now. (football & basketball) In fact, one poll 2-3 years ago had them ranked 1,2,3 in the state (basketball) For the past 2 years, Desoto (football) blew Cedar Hill away in district. With the 2 largest schools in district advancing to the big school playoffs and the 2 smallest advancing to small school playoff, Cedar Hill (small school) benefited the most. As the district runner-up, the hill played in the State Finals in 2012 and won state in 2013. The better Desoto squad has not been able to advance beyond the state semi's.

With some many teams making the playoffs, winning the district title doesn't mean as much as it use to.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Really not a big deal. Desoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, S. Grand Prairie, Mansfield Timberview and Mansfield have been tough for a few years now. (football & basketball) In fact, one poll 2-3 years ago had them ranked 1,2,3 in the state (basketball) For the past 2 years, Desoto (football) blew Cedar Hill away in district. With the 2 largest schools in district advancing to the big school playoffs and the 2 smallest advancing to small school playoff, Cedar Hill (small school) benefited the most. As the district runner-up, the hill played in the State Finals in 2012 and won state in 2013. The better Desoto squad has not been able to advance beyond the state semi's.

With some many teams making the playoffs, winning the district title doesn't mean as much as it use to.

Totally agree, but like you said those teams have been together before. Used to play Cedar Hill and Duncanville in high school at Irving Mac. Just thinking about the Colleyville,Coppell,Trinity Southlake combo there.

6A Region I will include the Arlington powers, Guyer, Ryan, Allen, Hebron, Trinity, Carroll, Coppell, Cedar Hill, and De Soto.

That was the biggest news of the day statewide regarding realignment, and that particular district was the epicenter for it. Pretty big deal.

That is a wicked group.

6A Region I will include the Arlington powers, Guyer, Ryan, Allen, Hebron, Trinity, Carroll, Coppell, Cedar Hill, and De Soto.

That was the biggest news of the day statewide regarding realignment, and that particular district was the epicenter for it. Pretty big deal.

Cedar Hill and DeSoto have gone in separate directions in the playoffs even though they are in the same district. The same will happen with 2 of the 4 in this new district. I wasn't speaking of the schools in the region but the district; where it isn't as big a deal. Schools would rather win a state championship instead of a district championship.

No region has been stronger than Region 2 in basketball (the old Class 4A) South Oak Cliff won the State Championship 4 years in a row and only won their district once during those 4 years. I've seen where a strong district helped schools in the playoffs and hurt schools where they often relax against a perceived softer opponent.

No region has been stronger than Region 2 in basketball (the old Class 4A) South Oak Cliff won the State Championship 4 years in a row and only won their district once during those 4 years. I've seen where a strong district helped schools in the playoffs and hurt schools where they often relax against a perceived softer opponent.

Hate to break it to you, but realignment doesn't have anything to do with basketball, as much as the UIL won't admit that.

Hate to break it to you, but realignment doesn't have anything to do with basketball, as much as the UIL won't admit that.

Let me try this again. I initially responded to the poster, "No Big Deal" regarding the new DISTRICT powers that he listed. I stated that the Cedar Hill, Desoto, Mansfield ISD, etc. district had been equally tough (football and basketball) but wasn't so bad during the football playoffs; since the UIL sends 4 to the playoffs (in 2 separate divisions). You then came back commenting about the entire REGION being tough. I only brought up a similar tough REGION (basketball), trying to further explain my earlier point that a state champion could still come out of a district; where they didn't win their district.

True sir! My last basketball example didn't have anything to do with realignment in basketball playoffs. I am opposed to 2 state champs in each class but don't know why they don't do it in basketball.

• Upvote 1